Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

I just had my bypass on June 12th. Aside from the blood clot and infection I got in my arm that had the IV, I feel great! I do have severe knee arthritis from my additional weight. I have lost 38 pounds since starting my journey, just got off all the weight from the Water they pumped in me so I don't know what I have actually lost since surgery, and I was wondering how long did it take for your knees to start feeling better? Since we can't take any anti-inflammatory meds it's been a little rough. I was 350 and now 312, so hoping it will start to relieve. I have read that for every pound we carry it is 5-7 pounds on ours knees. So I have technically taken about 150 pounds off my knees.

Also wondering if we can have cortisone injections. I have read conflicting information on that. I wanted to have an injection of anti-inflammatory for my infected arm and they said that it still goes through the stomach so just thought maybe the cortisone would too. Thoughts our suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear your knees are hurting you. I totally know the feeling. For me I was down about 40lbs before my knees and ankles stopped hurting and swelling.

I suffer from psoriatic arthritis and I get cortisone shots on a frequent basis. I also have had spine surgery recently and they gave me tons of steroids in my IV as well as oral to help with swelling in my throat from the surgery. All of this was fine.

Just no oral NSAIDs, that is where you can develop ulcers that can be devastating to a WLS patient.

I would double check with your surgeon on these questions but this has been my experience.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your fantastic progress so far!

I read somewhere that it usually takes a weight loss of 60 pounds to feel the change on the joints.

I have really bad knees, too. The Tylenol isn't enough. I am only post op 1 week, so I am not expecting much yet. I plan to discuss this with my surgeon next time I see him.

Best Wishes!