Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate to complain about such a wonderful problem to have, but I am SO TIRED of nothing fitting properly. Shirts I've worn once are too baggy. All my pants are saggy. And I'm in the nebulous zone between plus size and regular size where everything on one side of the line is too big and everything on the other side is too small. I remember that problem from when I transitioned from regular to plus size about 25 years ago, and I hated it then too.

I desperately need to go shopping, but it's so hard to spend the money when I know everything I purchase will only work for such a short time. I don't have the patience to slog through the selection at my local goodwill for used items, and for some reason none of my usual online haunts have any sales going on.

I've found that as I shrink, the territory covered by any given size is also shrinking, which makes it even harder to find the right fit at the right time. I could pull off a size 24 for many, many pounds, but I said hello and good-bye to 18 in a very short span.

In the meantime, I've got 28 grocery bags of too-big clothes on the floor in my guest bedroom, waiting for my mom to claim them for her next garage sale.

Edited by anaxila

I hate clothes shopping, but with this rapid weight loss it's unavoidable. I'm 4 months post-op and have been buying clothes every other month. Goodwill and thrift shops are good for finding cheap clothes while you transittion. I went from a size 26 (jeans) to size 16 in 4 months and the clothes I bought for work (XL scrubb pant) are now falling off my butt. So I refuse to buy new clothes. Last weekend I bought 4 pairs of jeans for 20$ and a thrift shop, so if they don't fit in a month or two it's no big deal. I highly recommend it especially since thrift shop clothes have been broken in a bit it's easier to get into that next level smaller size that might be a little snug brand new. I complain about my clothes all the time, but it is a great problem to have, annoying as it might be. :D

You are right......that is a good problem to have.

Wrap skirts. I have several wrap skirts and have loved them. I buy mine from Earth Bound Trading Company they are fun and bright and can be worn in a number of ways when you buy two you get a free dvd showing you how to style the skirts in different ways including how to turn it into several different dresses. I don't know if you have Earth Bound in your area but you might be able to find plainer skirts from some other retailer. I wear them with plain colored t-shirts or sweaters(winter) Walmart and target have plain colored tshirts and tank tops for less then $10 each if you really don't want to do thrift shop.

I have been fortunate to find some great deals on fb yardsale groups. I bought 3 bags of jeans for $20.00 and got sizes from 16-24. I'm a 26 now so they are just waiting for me! My problem has become clothing storage.

Start donating the clothes that don't fit anymore. Some second-hand store will also buy your gently use clothes depending on the brand and condition. I'm heading to the local Salvation army store today with a bundle of clothes that don't fit anymore. I don't buy name brand clothes so I can't do the resale thing.

Edited by SybrgreenTX

I'm planning to give a lot of my clothes away. But for the clothes I really like and want to wear as I shrink in size, I'm planning to get them tailored. A few pairs of jeans and some shirts. I know of a place where they are very reasonable with their prices. You might want to look into that, as you could end up paying way less than you would if you went and bought new clothes. Although, I will reward myself with new clothes, once I reach a certain weight.

I feel awkward. I am in sizes I really don't ever remember wearing. I hate shopping for clothes for myself. I'm up to about 4 bags of clothes that need to go. 18 is too big and 16 is too small! It's not a problem I have ever complained about before. The 22 and 20 jeans are being healed up with a belt that is on its last notch. I'm not complaining or bragging, just agreeing with you!!

I just got rid of a bunch of clothes too. 16 fit really well for now, but that was only one month after the 18's fit really well. I've even had to buy new scrubs for work cause I couldn't find any at the thrift store. Scrubs are so expensive that even though I want to lose more weight I kind of want to stay this size for awhile...lol.

Let me share that it's not wise to try to keep wearing your old clothes. I personally was standing in the middle of a large local hospital's administrative offices recently. To my horror, I suddenly felt my slip slide down my legs and puddle around my feet. I was confused to look down and see my skirt still on. Then I started to laugh as I realized what had happened. I had tossed out my old large clothes, but hadn't gone through my lingerie drawer the same way. I had grabbed an old slip in my hurry that morning. Awkward, but amusing. I was able to step into a female executive's office and quickly fix the problem! Thank goodness it was just the slip, not the skirt!

Lol...I know what you mean, I've had to throw out all my old undies too. I've donated 2 large trash bags of clothes and I'm working on a third. It sucks to have to replace an entire wardrobe, but it's nice to be able to buy normal size clothes again. I've been shopping in the plus size section for over 20 years!

Check the forum on here. There are people looking for clothes and exchanging. That might tide you over without purchasing. Clearance racks also good idea for cheap clothing.

The place between plus and regular size was the worst for me. After my surgery I went from size 22 to size 14 plus. It was easy. I just kept buying the next smallest size of pants - the same kind. I was buying style&eco jeans at Macy's. then I got to the 14s, and I just did not know what to do! I went to Macy's regular women's dept to buy jeans and it was like they totally re-invented buying jeans in the years I was in the plus sizes. I almost had a nervous breakdown right in the store. Rather than embarrass myself, I left. I called a friend, and she told me to go to costco and buy some Gloria Vanderbuilts in a few sizes. they are very cheap And very easy to return. I bought 14 and 12s. the 12s fit - I returned the 14s and bought a second pair of the 12s. since then, I've shrunk into size 10s. since then, somebody gave me a few pairs of size 10 Gap jeans which were perfect. Now I'm ready for the size eights. I think that will be my size.

Shopping was really hard for me. it is getting better. I did not want to spend a fortune on clothes while I was shrinking. the Costco idea was really helpful. I bought leggings there. And when I was thin enough, I bought shorts. my surgery last October 28,2014. So it was about 11 months ago. I've lost 107 pounds and think I can lose maybe 10 more. what an amazing journey. I'm so grateful.

It must be difficult having to buy so many sizes, and I'm sure I will gripe about it when the time comes. But right now I'm envious of all of you! And I hate shopping! Lol