Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Research Mexico Surgeons

I am considering gastric sleeve, my insurance won't cover it, and I am very close to making arrangements for doing this in Mexico-- aiming for August 2015. I've done lots of internet research but, worry that some of what I read is written, or sponsored, by the surgeon. Any thoughts as to how to get some objective information? Should they be certified by, or a member of a certain organization? I am also worried about after care, i.e. if I have a leak afterwards are we going to loose our house from the resulting medical bills, states side? I really want to do this. I just want to be cautious and make the most informed choice. Any thoughts or advice is welcome!! I am considering Dr. Fernando Garcia in Tijuana. Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by jaczim

It's tough to know 100% whether the people who are posting are actual patients or work for the surgeon. The best tactic is to go to their profile and look at their other forum activity. If they've got a couple hundred posts that have NOTHING to do with the surgeon they are recommending, then they probably aren't shills. If, every other post is about their surgeon and how great he/she is, then yeah, they are probably coordinators or hired hands.

I researched a LOT before my surgery and based my decision on a lot of factors. There was a great thread about OCC and Ariel Ortiz on these forums for a long time that was over 200 pages with posts from legitimate patients, but a few shills posting there, ruined it for everyone and the thread was taken down. It's too bad, because that thread had some good info in it!

But that wasn't the only deciding factor for me. I looked at media, credentials, etc. as well. It's definitely wise to do your due diligence and make sure you make a decision you are 100% confident and comfortable with.

I'm getting my surgery done in Mexico at the OCC by Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I am so scared! Seriously I'm starting to think why am I doing this? I'm praying that Everything turns out okay. My mother will be going with me to be my extra eyes and ears. I guess I have a lot of anxiety about the trip and surgery is just scary in itself. I fly from Texas to San Diego Monday, June 22, and my surgery is 23. I weight 210 and 5"6. I wear size 14. I have a spinal condition so I really need to loose the weight. I pray that everything will be great! I packed light and brought liquid Tylenol, gas-x, Chapstick, and a small pillow. Pray for me and wish me luck!

You'll be well taken care of there. No need to stress. They will give you some zoloft before surgery and that will help calm you down. Too bad they won't be able to give your mother any! She'll probably be just as nervous as you.

For me, the logistics of just getting to San Diego and then to OCC where the really stressful part. And worrying that I might have forgotten something. Then I was terrified my alarm wouldn't go off and I'd miss the 6:00 am shuttle from the Marriott to OCC, so I was waking up like every 10 minutes to check the clock.

Once I was actually at OCC and doing my paperwork and everything, I felt much more calm. Plus there were other patients there to chat with who were all going through the same thing as me so there was a nice sense of camaraderie and it helped the time pass quickly.

Thank you it really helped????

Guest develasco

I am new to this site so bear with me.. I have been doing research for some time now on various surgeons and facilities. Someone else mentioned it's hard to determine who is a real patient and who might be an employee. I know on Facebook I joined a couple of Bariatric support groups and the Patient Coordinator was on there tonight making recommendations to someone who had a question for a physician in Mexico. I know that's his position, because he sent me a friend request when I "liked" the company he works for! He never said he used those doctors... Just seems a little misleading. I change my mind every other day which doctor I want!! :D

I would check out Dr. Zavalza and Dr. Luna. They have a Facebook page support group and the Surgeon can skype you and answer any questions. I have had a great experience with them so far. My surgery is scheduled for 7/30.

I am considering gastric sleeve, my insurance won't cover it, and I am very close to making arrangements for doing this in Mexico-- aiming for August 2015. I've done lots of internet research but, worry that some of what I read is written, or sponsored, by the surgeon. Any thoughts as to how to get some objective information? Should they be certified by, or a member of a certain organization? I am also worried about after care, i.e. if I have a leak afterwards are we going to loose our house from the resulting medical bills, states side? I really want to do this. I just want to be cautious and make the most informed choice. Any thoughts or advice is welcome!! I am considering Dr. Fernando Garcia in Tijuana. Thanks in advance for any help!

I think that's how we all feel when we have no other option, but now I can say, it was the best decision I ever made, I used dr. Jesus Lopez with bariatricpal and I cant's say nothing bad about them, he is a very knowledgeable doctor, he has all his credential, I had a Skype consultation with him prior to my surgery, I also had an internist going over my medical history, a nutritionist calling me to explain everything that was going to happen to me, what I was going to eat, my pre op diet, she asked what kind of food I was use to eat, so she gave me great Ideas and recipes for my post op, Dr. Lopez answered every question I had, I still have follow up with my nutritionist, my results are just great, had no complications, I hardly had pain, they keep your two days at the hospital for the leak test and two additional nights at their recovery house, they won't let you go if they don't see you ready for your trip back home, they took really good care of me, I had my guy Johnny taking us to eat, walk, and one thing TIJUANA IT'S NOT DANGEROUS AT ALL, their recovery house is in a really nice area, you have a supermarket pretty close, Johnny came along with us everywhere with my brother and I, we had to pay our trips on taxi, our food, of course, but anything else, was included... I had the best experience, I swear, you should give the a try... you won't regret it, actually, they work with other 2 great surgeon, I was between Lopez and Altamirano, but since I contacted Lopez first and he was really nice, I chose him, but the other guys it's also very good, I've read reviews about them.. and I only hear good things... do your homework and listen to your guts, choose whoever makes you feel comfortable, you must trust your doctor.

I had my sleeve 6/19 with Dr. Garcia at Hospital CER. Honestly I would stay far away from that hospital. My mom and I are both RNs and we were completely horrified with the cleanliness of the facilities as well as the nursing care. When I got to my hospital room, there was bloody tissue filling up the bathroom garbage and something green all over the shower chair. My bed did not work right and the nurse call button was inconveniently zip-tied out of my reach.

The nurses would come in my room wearing gloves, empty my bloody drain into a basin with all the other patients' blood in it, then leave the room still wearing the bloody gloves. They also never cleaned off my IV port before hanging secondary medications.

My medications were never given on time, and when I had significant pain, there was no effort to help me until my mom went and found the doctor. What I have since learned is that narcotics are either never used or used very sparingly. Even when the doctor ordered a second pain medication, it took four hours of repeatedly asking to receive it.

My IV constantly backed up with blood (which is very easy to avoid) and my temp was only taken once over three days and then only after I insisted.

When I returned from surgery very nauseous, my mom asked for something to throw up in, but she was told there had nothing to give me. I ended up throwing up all over the sheets and into her hands before she dumped out her coffee cup and let me throw up in that.

My mom repeatedly asked for a clean sheet do she could change my bed, but we never got one until I went and found a doctor who told the nurse to change it.

Also, after the first day, no nurse ever introduced herself, called me by name or even showed a hint of compassion. I speak enough Spanish to clearly make my needs known, but the nurses always waved me off or shook their heads.

I honestly feel pretty traumatized from this experience. All the patients I was sleeved with had similar complaints about pain, dirty rooms, and horrible nursing care. I only saw Dr. Garcia twice, and I feel like he did a good job with my surgery, but I don't respect him for bringing his patients to such a terrible hospital.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with Dr. Garcia! :( Thank you so much for sharing this because he was a top contender on my list of surgeons that I am considering.

@paulinagreen

I am having surgery with him now in August. I have done research and spoke to several people and says he is great.

Having my surgery July 3 at OCC with Dr.Ortiz and getting really nervous

Any vomiting post op?

Did you have problems on your flight home?

The vomiting really seems to be based on the individual. I had two bouts of dry-heaving the day after my surgery, but have not thrown up once in the almost 10 months since my surgery date of 9/1/14. Some people throw up almost daily, even months post-op. Some people just have extreme nausea. Some people have violent reactions to certain foods.

I didn't have any issues with traveling home from TJ, except that my flight from Chicago to Rochester was canceled. Had to RUN all the way across O'Hare airport (8/10th of a mile!) to catch the last flight of the day and not get stuck in Chicago overnight. So I didn't end up getting home until much later than planned, but I still hung in there.

MP, would love to hear more about Dr. Ortiz at OCC. He is my first choice if insurance won't approve. All things being equal, I would probably choose him over my local doctors. It's still a lot of money though, not to mention a life altering surgery, so I'm still exploring all options.

I had surgery with Ariel Ortiz at OCC last September, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

A good friend had surgery with Dr. Ariel Ortiz about 13 months ago, and she looks amazing. I had planned on going with someone different, but actually changed my mind and am now booked with Dr. A. Ortiz for July 29.

She's coming with me :D

Good luck I'm sure you'll do great!! I had mine done by him in January and it was a piece of cake. No problems what so ever. You're in great hands ????