Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honestly,tell me the truth. NO more Booze or caffinee?

My doctor and NUT said no caffeine, no alcohol -- forever. Period. Caffeine because the acidic content increases risk of a GI bleed, alcohol because it is something that we can become dependent on, since we don't have food anymore. I'm a recovering alcoholic, so the alcohol part didn't bother me. But I did not know if I could give up my 2 cups of coffee a day. But I did. I decided that doing this process the right way trumped coffee. I drink Decaf now. Stopped drinking coffee a week after I was told I would need to and didn't even have withdrawals.

Following this topic- curious. Has anyone with the sleeve has beer?

I have not. It was pretty excruciating over the winter when Sam Adams Winter Lager was available, because that's my absolute favorite! I did have part of a beer milkshake at Red Robin! I'm just so terrified of the carbonation, I don't think it's worth it.

I have coffee daily and alcohol sometimes. I am 8 mos out and I still need a daily acid blocker, which lots of people don't need after the first month. When I drink, I don't lose that week. So, you can do it, but there might be tradeoffs.

Can anyone cite a well documented and controlled scientific study with enough samples that has very high confidence and a small error that is supported by medical societies (AMA, ASMBS) or even published in JAMA, that substantiate the statement that drinking sugar free carbonated beverages in moderation (when it is safe to) at a reasonable rate will stretch a VSG stomach?

Thanks.

Granted Water is a better choice for a liquid than all of the additives and artificial sweeteners in diet soda, some diet sodas can be acidic and they could also contain caffeine, both of these can lead to an irritated stomach.

I keep reading conflicting reports regarding this topic. I like to base decisions upon research not conjecture.

Perhaps following your surgeon's requirements is best. My doctor made me sign a contract that I'd follow HIS guide and not other people or surgeons. Sometimes damage is long done before we even know there's a problem.

I can drink beer but slowly, and in a glass. I have had to switch to lower carbonated types. I have a two beer limit. If I drink three, the defenses go down, and I am able to drink faster. But these beers come with a high calorie cost. I have little if any issue with the carbonation but, I drink slow. Can't drink wine, even if I dilute it, it is too boozy for me. Don't like liquor because of mixers calories. Iced tea makes me nauseated. Sometimes ice Water is my best choice!!

I can drink beer but slowly, and in a glass. I have had to switch to lower carbonated types. I have a two beer limit. If I drink three, the defenses go down, and I am able to drink faster. But these beers come with a high calorie cost. I have little if any issue with the carbonation but, I drink slow. Can't drink wine, even if I dilute it, it is too boozy for me. Don't like liquor because of mixers calories. Iced tea makes me nauseated. Sometimes ice Water is my best choice!!

Thank you! That was very helpful!

I drink beer without a problem.

2 months

2 months

You are drinking beer at 2 months post-op?!?!?

I'm just going to back away slowly before I say something that will get me flamed.....

My nutritionist team emphasizes no CAFFEINATED coffee or alcohol for one year. Their rationale is that caffeine is a diuretic, and keeping your fluids up is an issue; and the alcohol tears up your stomach (that's left) and makes you prone to reflux, leaks and ulceration.