Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does your taste change after surgery?

I had my tonsils out 8 years ago and everything tasted terrible, but I was told that was because my tongue had been depressed with a metal clamp thingy, it fixed after about 3 weeks. But what on earth is the reason our taste changes after WLS? I just read that someone now hates the taste of Water? ?? I seriously hope that isn't me, I love water!

Does anyone know the reason behind this? I'd love to know!

I don't know the reason, but just thought I would weigh in that I had bypass 11 days ago, and so far my tastebuds are exactly the same. The Protein drinks taste the same, Water tastes the same, beef broth, etc. Not sure why it doesn't happen to all....

I've mentioned in other posts that my tastes changed pretty drastically after surgery. I hate Water now, I've been trying to find the right mix of ice and bottled water...it's kinda' driving me nutty. Everything with sweetener in it, like the shakes, yogurt, pudding etc. are so super sugary sweet tasting to me too. I have no idea why. I loved Water before surgery and this might only be me. I don't know that I have heard a lot of others saying their tastes changed drastically. I'm just hoping it changes, at least the water part, that's important to me.

The beef broth I was drinking in the hospital has made me hate beef broth forever.

I really don't know but for me this is so true. I can't handle spicy, super sweet, or rich foods. I have nibbled on fried chicken since the surgery ONCE because it smelled good and it tasted like burnt oil. I always thought it was just a matter of going so long on a post surgical diet of broth and sugar free Jello.

Does anyone know the reason behind this? I'd love to know!

I'm 15 days post op and so far everything taste the same, haven't really had that much food yet but what I have had taste the same.

I'm finding the same thing. No matter what I eat or drink, I get this weird after taste left in my mouth. It's really frustrating.

I have never liked sugar free or diet foods. I still don't. No crystal light, sugar free Jello or pudding is for the birds, stevia sweetened forget it. So I drink Water, occasional green tea or other herbal tea and unsweetened almond milk that is almost too sweet for me. The other day I snagged a french fry from my husband, I bit into it and was so disgusted that I had to spit it out. I'm not sure how the surgery has changed things but I like it! I'll take a salad any day and a plate of veggies.

To me, the drinks I loved before are all so salty now!

I'm 5 months pot-op and meat Proteins beef, chicken, pork, fish: they all taste a little different now. My tolerance for them is low.

I do not enjoy them like I did pre-surgery. Not even a little. (I always had the "savory tooth" never a "sweet tooth")

Veggies, fruit and carbs don't have the same negative taste as meat. They seem to taste the same.

Water & Tea taste slightly different but not enough to change my habits or how i consume them.

To boil it down, I don't know if the food really does taste different. but i can attest that my tolerance for all food has changed.

I generally don't like the taste of food and still despise having to eat.

Maybe meat tastes different because I don't want to eat it?

I know when It's late and I still have Fluid to get in and I know i HAVE to drink - whatever it is I drink I end up having to choke it down.

Not sure why it happens... After actually maked me gag now and wants to come back up, food tastes different which makes it hard to figure out what to eat! Hot wings are still good though...lol ???? I can only eat four but it's a nice treat every couple of weeks!

My taste hasn't changed but I think I not have aversion to things lol I ate oatmeal during the soft stage and it made me sick as a dog. Now just seeing a box of oatmeal or smelling it makes me cringe lol

The beef broth I was drinking in the hospital has made me hate beef broth forever.

Pretty much everything I've ever had while staying in a hospital is something I want to avoid. :) Pretty sure it will be the same once I have my bypass surgery, too.

I'm 15 days post op and so far everything taste the same, haven't really had that much food yet but what I have had taste the same.

Cool. That is very encouraging to hear.

I am also 2 weeks post op and my tastes haven't changed. I will say that the foods I am eating are more flavorful, but so far not in a bad way.