Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, my surgery is on July 6th, and I have been a big ol' pig! My liquid diet starts a week from today and I have seriously been eating out of control. I am justifying with the "Oh, I won't be able to have this after this week!" mentality. Did any of you do this? Is it horribly wrong or just kinda what we do? I'm trying to curb it a little bit, like tonight we had a really healthy dinner.

I don't know, what are your thoughts on this? I really think I'm going to have to go get a banana milkshake from my favorite place one last time this week!

Keep doing it! I sure did! And you really wont eat those things again for a long time so please eat everything you can and want because after surgery you will wish you did lol.

I've been having food funerals for months, lol. Started liquid diet last week, surgery next week..

Edited by her1981

I confess I did it too. I actually did really well losing weight the first 6 weeks after meeting with surgeon. Then just mediocre the next 2 months. And then the week before my liquid diet, I had several meals I thought I might not have again. Probably 2 a day and then 1 healthy-ish meal. Obviously they don't recommend it, but I think it is very normal.

I think most of us did the 'last suppering'. I tried to temper how often I indulged but didn't deny myself. Enjoy it while you can!

Before I started the pre-op diet I tried to eat everything I wanted. Oddly, the last two days I felt guilty about it and slowed down. I'm on day 7/14 and sometimes crave something more than veggies and Protein Shakes.

I am scheduled for gastric bypass surgery on July 15 and start my pre-op diet July 1. I meet with the dietitian on June 30th to get the diet plan and also instructions for post-op. I really would like to have some food funerals before July 1, but am worried about gaining weight before my appointment with the dietitian. I am going to try to have as many last eats as possible without gaining too much.

OMG this is so funny because I felt soooo guilty when I did this. I was supposed to eat chicken breast and drink Water for dinners the month before my surgery. So I ate chicken nuggets and drank orange soda. My justification was orange soda was healthier than Dr. Pepper. I was delusional. But I think it was a perfectly normal thing. There is so much fear about not being able to eat as much or the things that we want.

I did have a few food funerals, but it was always small amounts. I also had a last meal but it was a turkey burger and sweet potato fries.

I do want to share that someone I have met did just as you are talking about and the eating of bad foods and not healthy like they ask of you backfired on her. The reason for the healthy eating is to help our liver be as healthy as possible being that it has to be moved because it sits on top of the stomach. Her surgery ended up taking much longer than expected and she had more complications. The surgeon almost didn't do the surgery because her liver was fatty and when that happens there is a much higher risk of it tearing and causing all kinds of problems.

They ask us to change our eating for many reason and they are all very important, they want our insides as healthy as possible before surgery and second this is a life style change. This is not a temporary fix. If we don't make the long term changes in our habbits and life style the weight will come back. Yes the first year or two it will fall off all the same and you will think it is fine and working because you are still loosing weight but 3 or more years out the weight will come back.

Be careful with your mindset now, the surgery is only on our tummies not our brain.

I'm laughing at @her1981...food funerals!!!!! I've been doing the same thing. I consciously realize that I'm doing it and balance my funerals with some good quality food and sticking to what I'm supposed to do. While I don't overdo the funerals, I acknowledge what I'm doing and know it's a 1 time thing a week for me. And when I have my funeral, I don't gorge like I used to do.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! I've been trying not to eat, but Bojangles keeps calling my name! Plus I really want donuts from Duck donuts! I think it's because I won't be able to eat these foods for a very long time, if ever again. I feel so much better that I'm not alone.

Heck no it's not wrong! I did the SAME exact thing. I'm one day away from surgery so go on and do it! I told myself the very same words "I won't be drinking/eating this again", so I paid tribute to my favs by eating them.

Some people will say not to do that but you have to do whatever feels right for you. I'm the type of person who can turn it right off if I know I might lose the potential to have the surgery. So i indulged until the last minute. I will tell you that Tylenol will be your new best friend. At least for the first few days. mine was sugar withdrawal and only for the first two days and then it was gone. I also got body aches on day three because I immediately started to go into ketosis. Tylenol again. :)

But I'm all good now. No cravings, just waiting it out until my day!! No worries at all!!!!

Best of luck to you :-)