Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the three week stall really a thing?

Is it better to hide the scale for the first month?

Absolutely! I weighed only at the surgeon's office for my 1-week and 1-month follow-ups so didn't experience the anxiety that so many people put themselves through. If you weigh every day you are only torturing yourself with head games.

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

Week 3 stalled for 4 days.

I am in the same place you are now too! All I can say is read the article and keep reading the posts, it has helped me immensely on this journey so far!! Keep your chin up and I will too!

Living it now! I lost 21 lbs my first 2 weeks and this week have maybe lost 1 lb total. Still heading in the right direction though and I know it will pass.

Yup! So far have had two stalls. First was at week 3 and second was at week 9. Each time the stall lasted about a week. However as I approach the three month marker the weight is coming off much more slowly. Instead of 3-4 lbs a week it is now about 1-2 lbs a week. I still walk 21 miles a week and adhere to my prescribed diet very faithfully as well as getting all my Water in. I am within one pound of my personal half way mark and only 19 lbs away from the surgeon's expected weight loss. It is just going much slower now.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh YES

Yes, it's very real and very frustrating. I had to just decide to step away from the scale. I was stalled for about three weeks and felt so pathetic. I thought I'd be the only one to have this surgery and then not lose anymore weight. Now I'm 3.5 months out and I still stall. The stalls are just not as long. My weight also fluctuates regularly. I'm constantly down between 55-60 pounds. But I can feel the difference in how my clothes fit. I try to focus on that instead of the number on my scale.

Good luck!! You'll get passed it!!

My stall finally ended.

I think one of the good things that happened is it made me focus more on how I felt and less on the number on the scale.

I'm in a stall right now :unsure:. Was sleeved May 6th, I'm down 50 lbs and have not lost anymore for the last 10 days or so. This coincides with my return to mostly "regular" foods. My consumption is still way down but I can eat almost anything at this point as long as I go slow and chew, chew, chew. Eating mostly Protein rich foods but staring to get concerned that It wont be easy to get to my goal (about 70 lbs more) :(. I was enjoying my daily weigh in watching the pounds melt away, when I was eating just mush :D . I didn't expect to keep losing at that rate but would like to see at least weekly progress. Will post when The losing resumes :)

Dropped 20 the first two weeks but now in a 10 day stall. Very frustrating and irrationally worried that I won't lose more. Eating what I want which consists of lean Protein, cottage cheese, Protein Bar, diet drinks (non carbonated), occasional Protein shake, light fruit, veggies. I can't believe I'm eating wrong or too much. Deep Water aerobics 5 days/week plus 1.5 mile walk 2x/week.

Mulepick,

I am 9 weeks out and finally broke my second stall. It just happened and I didn't change any routine. You might stop the dairy and increase your walking to vary your routine. I'd suggest weighing your Protein to no more than 4 oz a meal and limit the fruit and vegetables to 1/2C each once a day but not at the same meal. Are you getting in at least 64 oz of Water a day? I can't have dairy until the six month mark.

Mulepick,

I am 9 weeks out and finally broke my second stall. It just happened and I didn't change any routine. You might stop the dairy and increase your walking to vary your routine. I'd suggest weighing your Protein to no more than 4 oz a meal and limit the fruit and vegetables to 1/2C each once a day but not at the same meal. Are you getting in at least 64 oz of Water a day? I can't have dairy until the six month mark.

Wow each bariatric diet plan is so different. I can eat fair but I can not have any starch for 6 months. They also still want us to drink at least one Protein Shake per day to make sure we are getting in all of our protein.