Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm eating like a normal person

I remember a time I could eat a whole plate of food, finish my daughter's food, and still have room for desert. But since the surgery I take a few bites and I'm done. I used to get frustrated but now I enjoy it because I feel like a normal person that knows their limits. I know that this isn't a NSV but to me it seems like it. Just wanted to share. Oh, and now my daughter finishes my plate...NICE!!!????

Isn't it GREAT??

Sometimes when I look around at the amounts that other people are eating, I am astounded that I used to eat that much and then some. It just goes to show how little food we need to actually survive and thrive on!

This is such an interesting topic and it still shocks me everyday. Normally I would never do this but I just had surgery and am having a difficult time swallowing any food right now.

I wanted something other than pudding or cottage cheese so I had my husband warm me up a can of Campbell's home style chicken noodle Soup. (You know, the little red and white can).

He warmed it up and put the whole can of Soup in a mug for me and then handed it to me. I laughed and said you know this is actually 2 servings of soup and I will be lucky if I can eat 1/3. He went and poured out 1/3,of the soup into a new mug for me. It took me 15 minutes to eat and I still had half of what was originally in the mug. I told him to cover it with Saran Wrap so I could have it for dinner later.

He is still shocked by how little I can actually eat.

I swear every time I get a meal at a restaurant I could just scream. They serve you enough food for 4 whole meals.

When will restaurants start to realize they really are half the problem.

If someone showed me just how little food I would eating per day, everyday, and foods I will never eat again, and still be healthy and full of energy, I would have dismissed this entire WLS project altogether because the red flags would have gone up telling me this was just another gimmick......but yet, here I am. And if I add up what I ate today in total, it really is astounding....

The difference is really amazing. I love it though! The worst part- all the idiots who look at me and say "You need to eat more! You don't eat enough to keep a bird alive!" Umm yes, obviously I'm eating enough to keep an entire human alive because I've been eating like this for a year and a half now and I'm still living!

My skinny wife of 35+ years and I are now splitting meals when we have to eat out. We avoid eating out, but sometimes on the road it is unavoidable. So, she gets 2/3 of the plate and I get the rest. Saves money, too!

Just a month out from surgery here and on soft foods. When I finish my 4 ounces and sit back, my husband says with humor, "Full already? Wish I was." lol

Yes I am also astounded when I see what people around me re eating just from the viewpoint of how much food there is and how I was just like them and cleaned my plate. I am certainly not judging them but shocked and agree with @@B-52 that if you had showed me how much the difference was on a plate I would have called you crazy.

That being said I am very thankful for this opportunity and grateful to be losing the weight I am.

i find it hard to not look at the food at restaurants and make that face..you know the one that says why in the world (or HOW) did I ever eat that much!

its hard to not say something to my husband when he says he is so full he feels sick, I tell him to learn his signals, I don't want him to go down this road that got out of control for me!

plus side, he says im a cheap date now :lol:

Yes, I was talking to my brother yesterday, he had the sleeve, and we were discussing how we used to could eat a whole pizza by ourselves, and then feel guilty and miserable after we ate it. Like, "I can't believe I just sat here and ate a whole pizza like that!" And it really made me feel really lousy about it and depressing, and now even though I can't have pizza at my early stage I don't even think I'd finish one slice and that is really a blessing for me.

It is an NSV! Celebrate!!

Went out to eat last night to a BBQ joint. I ordered the sliders appetizer, no Buns. When the plate arrived with three "dollops" of meat I thought maybe I should have ordered a side too. Nope, half of it was left on my plate and I was full. Funny thing was when my friend apologized for eating her bun in front of me. It's the second time that has happened. Oddly enough I don't feel deprived like I have in the past so I hadn't even thought about it. Weird how these surgeries work on your brain just a little.

I'm surprised that I haven't missed bread. And I loved my sandwiches before surgery. I haven't had a bite of bread since I started pre-op diet, and I haven't had a craving at all. I also love that a bite of something yummy satisfies instead of being the first of many. I have a bag of Hershey's special dark kisses at work, and I have maybe 1 or 2 a week.

it's a NSV in my opinion

I LOVE reading stuff like this! and yes, I think it's a huge NSV. Really, isn't it the real goal, to be able to eat like "normal" people?

All my life, even before I got fat, I have not understood how others could look at a plate of chocolate chip Cookies and just have 1 or 2 and then walk away. Even as a child I wanted it all!

I am really looking forward to this - hope I feel the same way!