Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little over a week post op. I'm seriously missing food but I'm looking forward to eggs tuna and the like next week. I just try to remember why I had surgery, like so many on here. Keep up the good fight everyone!

Hi, my name is Sonia. I had the gs performed on 6/10/15. I am also having a tough time with missing food. I actually broke down and had a spoonful of mashed potato. I am desperate to feel motivated and change this negative relationship with food. Please let me know how you are fairing. All I can say is what my friend Ash says...one day at a time. I know a super cliché but all I have to give.

Not that it isn't a little challenging for a few weeks of having enough to eat but being on a liquid, then a puree, then a soft Protein, etc. post WLS diet.

Given the following facts, there are worse scenarios. These facts should put things into perspective.

• 805 million people in the world do not have enough to eat. This number is down more than 100 million over the last decade, and 209 million lower than in 1990–92. Source: FAO, The State of food Insecurity in the World 2014

• One in every nine people on our planet go to bed hungry each night. FAO,The State of food Insecurity in the World 2014
  • Hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined. Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2014

• 66 million primary school-age children attend classes hungry across the developing world, with 23 million in Africa alone. Source: WFP, Two Minutes to Learn About School Meals 2012

That Protein shake or strained Soup, doesn't taste that bad now, does it?

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I have started reading a book called "Shades of Hope" by Teenie Mcarthy about food addiction. It has been amazing to read and work through while in recovery.

Geneen Roth books are excellent as well "Breaking Free from emotional eating" is great as well as several others.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to purchase and read those books. I know I have an addiction. Thank you again.

It gets better. Pretty soon you will be able to eat food, and not just drink it. When I was on liquids, and full liquids, even purees, I was HUNGRY ALL THE TIME! lol Now I can eat just a tiny bit of food, and have to stop. I have lost interest in eating. It is too uncomfortable to over eat. I have to eat Protein first....well nothing else fits after I eat the Protein, so..... I'm not venturing out to try new things, because I fill up so dang fast. I said this on someone elses page who is missing food too. The all consuming thought of food will leave you, and you will eat to live, and not live to eat. Even the tempting aromas of steak houses and restaurants, etc do not affect me now, because I figure...what's the use? I don't have room for squat, so why bother. I eat my little bit of protein, and I'm done. If I over eat, I get really uncomfortable. I don't like that feeling. Hang in there! (I regret nothing! I dreamed of being able to be this way all my life! Food does not rule me anymore!)

I agree...I can't take in more than 1-1.5oz of soft protein at 4 weeks without it coming back up in most cases regardless of how slow I eat or chew. It hasn't helped that I'm going through a breakup either. Now food isn't my comforting friend (thank goodness!) but instead is only a have too for nutritional means only!

Food commercials actually disgust me now! I live alone so don't have to worry about watching others eat or having to cook for other people which does help. Greek yogurt with added Protein powder is my mainstay at this point for between 35-40g protein dependent on the Protein Powder each serving. My daughter and friend tell me this is temporary (the inability to tolerate soft proteins).

Like you, I have no regrets about surgery just worries about nutrition and getting my fluids in!

Michelle

At first I was terribly sad about missing foods. So sad I avoided going out in public and being around food. But I needed to walk as much as possible so I walked a few times around the mall and had to smell the food court. What's funny is... the sweet smells doesn't trigger me anymore - it's when the food is placed in front of me. Oh boy! That's where I know trouble will come in... so I try to walk away from it until I've figured out how to avoid the craving all together.

you're not alone. we all go through this.

I am on the same boat I had my sleeve done on June 11 I'm now on the puree stage and it's really hard especially during theses holidays and when my older kids order pizza I just eat my Soup and drink my Water. I just went to jewel and got some your and some chocolate pudding low calorie just to take the edge away from craving chocolate. I'm reading all the message on they say it gets better as time goes by but it's hard and I start to think about how much I've waited for this and waiting to see my results that is why it seems a little better. I'm so glad that I am not the only one in this phase. Thank you for asking this question.

Edited by lizsal77

I am scheduled for surgery 7/21/15 and I am so worried about being sad over not being able to eat. Honestly it is my biggest concern. I love food and this liquid diet has really been a struggle. I have gotten angry and cried over the thought of not being able to eat several pieces of pizza. ( favorite food). Do these feelings go away?

I am not mad that I "can't" eat certain things. I wish I could have pizza or a hamburger but it is just not worth it to me. I work out 4 to 6 times a week, had a MAJOR surgery and don't plan on going back to the lifestyle I was at before. The first couple weeks after surgery was hard. But now I know what my body can handle and what it can't. I am at the lowest weight that I have been at in 15 years. I still have 60 more to go but I have lost 85 so far in total. That's the size of a pre teen!

Thanks inner surfer girl. I look forward to the day that happens.

It gets so much better, just remember why you did it and be strong. Some of those bad foods can be brought back but you probably won't enjoy them like you used to. Keep it small and keep moving and enjoy the weight loss. I'm a little over a month and I'm down 45LBS. It's going to get tougher to lose but I'm ready to keep on pushing! Stay strong and stay in contact with the people on this site. Everyone is awesome here!