Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 18 months out and have had moments of "what did I do to myself"...There are still some days that I wish I could sit down to a huge meal and go to town like the good old days, but we all know that's how I got myself to 256 pounds. Those moments are few and far between now, however. Early on they were more frequent, but that was because I was working thru my food issues and emotional attachment to food.< /p>

I don't think regrets is the right word. because I have not regretted this decision for one minute in my whole almost 11 months since surgery, but I do have things that I miss. I miss being able to just chow down on delicious foods. It's making me greatly rethink my relationship with food, and how I interact with other people. I don't do certain restaurants because there's nothing of value to me being served there, and I can't do rodizio anymore, since it is a waste of money, but I would give up all that a thousand times over to feel the way that I do about myself and my body.

I also miss my muscles. Yes I was huge, but under all of that was a thick layer of muscle to move that weight around. I don't have the strength I once had with little to no effort, now I have to work for every muscle I have. Which feels pretty good when I feel them for the first time.

Lastly I miss my butt. I had the cutest, firmest butt, and now I have a much smaller, much smooshier bottom. So now I have to work out that area of my body to have the butt I once had, that I didn't have to do anything to get.

Again though I reiterate, all of that I would give up in a heart beat, even in my darkest moments to be able to feel the way that I do every day. Every outfit is a statement piece, and every compliment is well earned. I am finally starting to be the person on the outside that I have always been on the inside. I regret not getting this surgery the moment I heard about it 3 or 4 years ago. That's it.

Regrets? None. Now the day after surgery I kept saying, "what did I do, why did I do this!" I just had major surgery! I hurt, was thirsty and hated the hospital bed.

Seriously, I have no lasting regrets! I'm expecting that on June 30, which is 6 mo post op, I will have lost 100 lbs. Crossing my fingers!! I can't relay how much better I feel. How much better I look! All the compliments I get! People telling me I'm skinny! It's crazy. And for the first time in forever I feel as if I have a future. I'm going to start barber school in August! I'm finally making something of myself and it's all because of this amazing surgery that has saved my life. Yes, saved my life! I was so dead before and I didn't even realize it. I had fooled myself soo much. DENIAL big time!

My youngest daughter told her teacher after winter break, "my mom had surgery so she can live longer." I can't recommend this surgery enough.

No regrets!!!! Still have a way to go, but no regrets for having the surgery!!!

I am thrilled that I had the sleeve done. I haven't felt so good in a long, long time!

I am only 3 weeks out, so I know my thoughts will change as my weight changes too... I have had a tough few weeks, certainly not as bad as some, but not totally easy. That being said, I have not once regretted this decision, but have gone through the "wow, this is really how it is now, really it is" thing. I am learning everyday and glad I have the summer to make it work (I am in education!).

I don't have a single regret. I don't even regret not doing it sooner, as I don't think I was in the right head space until recently. And trust me, this is a mental game at least as much as a physical one.

I am less than 5.5 months post-surgery, and have lost over 100 pounds. And I'm just three pounds from the mythical place I never thought I'd see again: ONEderland.

In the 5.5 months since surgery...

... I've discovered running. I completed couch-to-5k (thank you, "C25K Free" app!!) and then two 5k races, and have more scheduled every weekend for the next 6 weeks. Before surgery, I couldn't run half a block to catch a bus if my life depended on it. I definitely would've been the first one down in the zombie apocalypse.

... I've discovered bicycling. I rode 25 miles in a benefit event, including up a freeway ramp and across a big high bridge near Lake Michigan. And I did it without stopping. Before surgery, I hadn't been on a bike for 20+ years.

... I've discovered gardening. There was a large area of my property that used to be a garden and I always wanted to reclaim it. But the weeds were waist-high and the one time I tried to clear them out I could only manage a 2-foot square and that was even while sitting on a bucket. Now I'm growing 46 different crops and I have fresh strawberries every morning.

... I've vacationed like a fiend. I planned a big bucket-list vacation for my mom to Peru for 4 months post-surgery, and I conquered Machu Picchu like I was born to do it (see my icon). When I was in China a year ago, I could barley explore any of the Great Wall and mostly sat on a bench while watching others break out.

... I've kicked medical issues to the curb. I've beat diabetes (last A1C was 5.0 with no meds and no monitoring), high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. My knees don't hurt. My back doesn't hurt. I don't get headaches anymore.

The past 5.5 months have felt miraculous and magical and transformative on every level. I catch myself getting excited about sneaking carrot sticks into the movie theater for a special treat during the show, and I hardly recognize myself.

So, no... no regrets.

Wow! That was so wonderful to read. You have really turned your life around in just a 5.5 month period of time. So impressive. I love all the things you are doing and can really feel your determination jumping off the page. am thrilled for you! Keep it up. This is amazing and inspiring (I am only 8 days post surgery.)

My regret is that I didn't do the Bypass the FIRST time or the SECOND!

I did the band (waste) then I converted to sleeve (success) but stomach has since stretched (yumm yumm ice cream = No no, Mmmm carbs = bad, bad) and have some regain....off to the bypass. I needed the sugar dumping! I am an addict - a sugar/food addict. Who wanted to change but didn't want the vile aftereffects that bypass offers, and I so need. Dumping is the Antabuse for food addicts.

Suggestion - be brutally honest with yourself and take the leap.

My only regret is the lost time while struggling with day to day life both physically and mentally. Like so many others I wish I had done it sooner. I am a little over 3 years out now and life had done a complete 180 degree turn. It has been such an eye opening experience.

Next Tuesday is the one-year anniversary of my surgery. Do I have any regrets? Not...a...single...one! Knowing what I know now, I just would have done it sooner. This rounds out the top 5 most important things I've done in my life, along with marrying my wife, having my daughter, quitting smoking, and quitting drinking.

I've had my moments. Especially in the early days/weeks/months post-op. At first I was in pain and so miserable and uncomfortable and wondering if I would ever just feel "normal" again. Then I was really struggling with not being able to turn to food for comfort. I struggled with figuring out what to eat when out at restaurants or parties. There was just a period of adaptation that was rough to get through. I would say that since about the 4 month mark, I haven't had any further regrets. I found my new normal. I'm not having to consciously think about what to eat and when to drink and all of that stuff anymore. It has become second nature now.

At nine months post-op, I very rarely have any qualms about my choice to have surgery. Today I went out to lunch with my coworkers to Red Robin. Pre-op, there were several burgers there that I LOVED and gladly overate. When we first sat down to look at the menu today, I had a very brief twinge of sadness that I couldn't get one of those burgers. I mean I *could* but I would only be able to eat like two bites with the bun or maybe half the burger without the bun, so why bother? I ended up getting the Ensilada chicken and it was delicious. So I moved past that moment of "regret" very quickly and went on to have a perfectly lovely lunch.< /p>

Any regrets? Nope, nada, zilch. Did I mention I’m thrilled with my lap-band? Since I got it, I’ve lost and kept off the weight, I’ve gotten my life back and don’t let food rule it anymore. I’ve had the best 10 years of my life keeping up with my kids, advocating for WLS, and being free because I am happier, healthier, and more capable than ever before.

To the original poster (azsqwurl) and anyone else considering WLS: I’m not saying it’s for everyone. It’s definitely hard work, and you definitely have to be ready for it and ready to work hard for a long time if you want to lose weight and keep it off. But if you do your homework to research your options, and you understand and agree with what you’re getting into, it can be the best decision you ever made.

Not one

@@azsqwurl have you checked out this thread? http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/276681-How-about-some-NSVs!?!?

How about some NSVs!?!?

Edited by onmywaytobeingfound