Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret their decision to have WLS? Does anyone wish they had not done it? If so, why? I have seen so many people talk about their only regret being that they didn't do it sooner but I am curious about the other side and perspective.

Thanks! And for all those that are happy with their decision, go ahead and post about that too. :) Motivation is a good thing!!

Definitely happy I did it. Wouldn't change a thing...well except that bit about doing it sooner!

:P

Parts of me does regret it SLIGHTLY.. i obviously couldnt diet on my own because if i could of i would have. But its dishearting to me that i will always have to watch my carbs for the duration of time that i would like to lose weight. Sort of like a modified Atkins style diet. i will always have to be careful with carbs even with 85% stomach gone. It makes me sad because I didnt think i would have to do the whole always on a diet thing again. I had to change my mind set to " i can eat what i want BUT i have to finish my Protein first, which usually leaves no room for anything else". That is how i get by. Again i am only 6 weeks post op, but Im feeling great and know i couldnt diet alone for the length of time i need to get enough weight off. Final decision is: I am happy I did it ;)

Good Luck!

Most have regrets very soon after surgery. You're dealing with some pain (honestly not too much), you miss food, your tummy feels funny, you're tired, it's a damn full time job the first few weeks just to get your fluids and protien in....I could go on.

Fast forward a couple months. You are starting to feel normal, you can ALMOST eat everything again, and you've lost weight! And more than likely you have been taken off your meds for diabetes and high blood pressure. Score!

Fast forward a year or 2. You have lost so much weight that people don't recognize you! You actually exercise, and you love it! ( Well, maybe) You've had to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, and you look and feel better than you have in years! Except for some much needed restriction that helps you to not overeat, especially in situations where you're tempted, you feel completely normal. And you LOOK normal. You're finally not the fattest person in the room. You FINALLY feel in control.

What's there to regret?? ;)

Only that I didn't do it earlier. 7 months out, not one.

So far I am glad I did. I can't wait until I am at the whole new wardrobe/friends can't recognize me phase. I am in the get to ride the rides at theme park/buckle up on the airplane without strain phase lol.

What is there to regret......there was nothing I liked about being fat. Obesity was a disease that was going to kill me and I simply had treatment to help rid myself of that disease. Now I live a lifestyle to help prevent it's return. ;)

Hello - I am quite new to the surgery. Had it on Tuesday May 26, 2015 - the hardest part for me was the nausea due to the anesthesia. I got home and took a total of 2 doses of the pain meds. Once I figured out that the pain meds made me nauseous, I stopped taking them and have not looked back. Between the pre operative diet and as of 2 weeks out I am down 35 pounds. I am really struggling getting in my Protein, but have figured out some strategies that work for me and I do really well at getting my Water in. There is some fatigue as you recover for a few days, but I am back at work and am humming right along. The hospital where I had the surgery is too far to go for me to do support groups, so I found a group close to my work and went last night. They were fabulous. It is weird coming back to work and people noticing my weight loss - some have even asked me quite loudly about it; however I am very grateful to have the opportunity to take charge of my health.

I only regret that Iw as not able to do this on my own. But I had been on a diet since 1978 and gained 105 pounds.

When my doctor sent me to the bariatric center and I fully understood Metabolic Syndrome X, I finally gave in. I realized that I could keep fighting this fight with my slingshot and bow & arrow, or I could get a Sherman tank with all the big guns and get the job done.

In spite of the temporary inconveniece of diet phases and lifestyle adjustments, it has all been worth it. I just wish I had done it before I had a stroke.

It took me a few weeks after surgery to not feel like I ruined my life, but I am fully on board with the idea that my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I am 21 months post-op so I'm past the honeymoon point, but I'm maintaining under my goal. I got "lucky" in that my sleeve pretty much hates almost all types of non-healthy food so I'm not overly invested in eating anything bad for me because I just puke it back up. I am very happy with my decision, especially now in the long term when I see the type of life I will optimally be leading the rest of my life.

Not one regret - ever!

No regrets. I always say "Being banded is an inconvenience for 5% of my day, but being obese was an inconvenience 100 % of my day ". I' ll take the 5% any day of the week. No regrets !!

Absolutely none, zero, nada, zip.... Except of course that I didn't do it years ago...

No regrets, and I'd do it again if I needed to. I hated being fat more than I knew, and it was always on my mind because it impacted so much of my life. I was always either on a diet or thinking I should be on one, and feeling guilty I wasn't. Even when I was on a diet, I couldn't get my calorie intake low enough, long enough, for it to be effective. Yet, with all that worry, mind numbing thinking, and true physical effort, I stayed fat and felt powerless against it.

The sleeve changed my life. I still have to think about what I eat, but at least I'm not starved all the time and I have succeeded in losing over 140 pounds. I've kept it off more than a year, and every day, it is worth the sacrifices I've made to get here.

3 months out, and I'm ecstatic. Wish I had done it years ago, NO regrets. Everything went perfect and I'm adjusting.. Yes, I still have to watch my diet/carbs.. still exercise like a fiend.. but at least I can finally lose weight.