Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 100 pounds into a 300-pound weight loss adventure, and I'm having the same problem everyone who's ever lost a large amount of weight has struggled with: excess skin. Instead of a spare tire around my middle, I have two floppy inner tubes separated by a waist. Above my belly button, I have lumpy cottage cheese skin that's not a problem other than appearance (which doesn't bother me yet and is easily fixed with shapewear) and frequent yeast infections in my belly button (which is easily fixed with antifungal cream). My lower apron, though, is really heavy, and since I'm still over 350, it's still an actual, full fat roll. It hangs down between panniculus level 1 and level 2, so not extreme yet. I think the problem is more the weight than the size.

My question is, how do the rest of you ladies find comfortable underwear once the loose skin starts to become an issue? For years I've been wearing Just My Size cotton briefs, but the ones I have now are so stretched out they don't fit properly and they're so threadbare I've had to throw some out. I guess they've changed their patterns and their material, though, because the new ones I've bought do not fit properly and the material doesn't have any "give" to it at all. I've tried my usual size, a larger size, and a smaller size, and none of them fit comfortably. I want something that tucks under my tummy pooch, because I recently got an office job and now spend a large part of my day sitting in a chair with my apron spread across my lap, and here in Missouri where the humidity is already 95% and the heat index is "only" 100 degrees Fahrenheit, having heavy bare skin laying against another layer of bare skin is even less comfortable than it sounds. Plus, the crotch is too short and narrow, which is a different kind of uncomfortable, and the leg elastic stretching across my belly is itchy and irritating and makes my stomach bunch up in weird lumps. (I haven't started wearing lower Shapewear yet but in this heat, shapewear isn't really an option.) I've also tried Hanes and Woman Within, but had a similar fit issue.

I don't care what it looks like as long as it fits comfortably. I usually dress casually in jeans, so they don't have to be seamless or non-clingy or anything, but I do need something that's easy to move around in, do light exercise in, and sit in (my days are varied and I usually don't have an opportunity to change my underwear between activities). I tried boy shorts a few years ago but otherwise I usually wear briefs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

i wish i had an answer for you! but im only 20 something pounds in and my underwear already feels like a diaper in the rear end. maybe go to a hanes/bali type store and let them help you find whats best for you...i understand with the heat pantyhose and slim wear is not comfy!

I am laughing so hard with this post. Only WLS patients understand. I used to wear Lane Bryant cotton briefs. They have some stretch with lycra in the actual fabric. You may want to give them a try. They are wonderful and there are 2 or 3 styles and lots of color choices. Now at 177lbs and a size 12 regular they fall off and there is no size smaller then 14-16W. I have purchased 4 different types of underwear and nothing feels right. I am mourning the loss of my favorite underwear.

I don't know why but I certainly have a good deal of shame regarding the infection I get. I only have one fold of fat so I have to put my finger in my belly button and draw up to find the infection. But after reading your input I am no longer ashamed. Infection happens.

I have found that woman within cotton boxers #0014-24697-1305 fit great for me. I've bought them just a hint loose. They allow for me freedom of movement. I can tuck the front of the boxers between the folds and still move. The legs actually are low enough for the wretched skin rubbing together is really decreased.

Carry on, sister. There will be a time when these problems will be a thing of the past.

Peace!

I have no underwear help for you, but had to comment as I too can relate to the Missouri humidity. If I intend to sweat (like say go for a walk for exercise), that's fine. But tell me WHY, must the heat and humidity be so bad that I sweat and sheen walking from my car to my office. Naturally, when I reach my office, I promptly turn on my fan and blot my forehead with a paper towel. Ha!

Good luck to you!

Edited by no onions

"My question is, how do the rest of you ladies find comfortable underwear once the loose skin starts to become an issue?

I don't care what it looks like as long as it fits comfortably. I usually dress casually in jeans, so they don't have to be seamless or non-clingy or anything, but I do need something that's easy to move around in, do light exercise in, and sit in (my days are varied and I usually don't have an opportunity to change my underwear between activities). I tried boy shorts a few years ago but otherwise I usually wear briefs. Any ideas?"

Congrats on your loss- I haven't started yet, however, I had fought the fight with undies due to size and the best ones I have found are

Fruit of the Loom Women's Plus-Size Non-Binding Brief Panties

I buy them on Amazon $10 for a pack of 3. I like them because they are breathable, comfortable and they don't roll down or up. Hope this helps!

I broke down and got out some of my old elastic-waist stretch jean shorts today. They're so much shorter, lighter, and looser than the button-and-fly actual jeans I've been wearing. I feel sort of free. Also like a fat girl in baggy shorts. But they're not as binding as the jeans, so the skin isn't rubbing as much today.

I am laughing so hard with this post. Only WLS patients understand. I used to wear Lane Bryant cotton briefs. They have some stretch with lycra in the actual fabric. You may want to give them a try. They are wonderful and there are 2 or 3 styles and lots of color choices. Now at 177lbs and a size 12 regular they fall off and there is no size smaller then 14-16W. I have purchased 4 different types of underwear and nothing feels right. I am mourning the loss of my favorite underwear.

LOL! I knew if anyone would understand it would be a group like this. I, too, am mourning the loss of my favorite underwear. I'm actually still a little too big for most of Lane Bryant's clothes, but I might check them out anyway. I'm planning a trip to the mall soon and like someone else said, I may have to just go to a store and ask for help. Yeah, nothing remotely embarrassing about THAT!

I don't know why but I certainly have a good deal of shame regarding the infection I get. I only have one fold of fat so I have to put my finger in my belly button and draw up to find the infection. But after reading your input I am no longer ashamed. Infection happens.
I have found that woman within cotton boxers #0014-24697-1305 fit great for me. I've bought them just a hint loose. They allow for me freedom of movement. I can tuck the front of the boxers between the folds and still move. The legs actually are low enough for the wretched skin rubbing together is really decreased.
Carry on, sister. There will be a time when these problems will be a thing of the past.
Peace!

Do the boxers bunch up or cause wedgies? That was my problem with the boy shorts. As far as the infection, do you mean yeast infections in your belly button? Mine bothered me, too, until I figured out what it was. Dry the inside of your belly button out with a cotton swab, then use the other end or a dry swab to spread some antifungal cream around inside your belly button. (I use just cheap generic clotrimazole like you would use on athlete's foot.) Do it twice a day and after a few days the infection should be cleared up. It will keep coming back, but if you stay on top of it the itching and the odor don't get to be too problematic.

I have no underwear help for you, but had to comment as I too can relate to the Missouri humidity. If I intend to sweat (like say go for a walk for exercise), that's fine. But tell me WHY, must the heat and humidity be so bad that I sweat and sheen walking from my car to my office. Naturally, when I reach my office, I promptly turn on my fan and blot my forehead with a paper towel. Ha!

Good luck to you!

I can totally relate! And my van doesn't have a working air conditioner, either! I hate to sweat at all, even when I'm working out, and I want a shower immediately afterward. During the worst part of the summer, that blast of heat when you go outside is hard to breathe in. But my life and my family are here and I can't imagine leaving it all behind, and we do have some gorgeous fall weather for about 2 hours once a year!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I'll keep them in mind when I go shopping next weekend.

I have a hubby who like to buy me panties. That's okay but he likes the way they look (lacey, frilly, satiny, etc) and he buys the size I was wearing, 9. The problem is they all don't fit the same. He bought boyshorts and I actually liked them but some tend to roll down. We recently moved and I have probably 50 pairs of panties and I have started wearing them and if they give me one reason to hit the trash can - they go! I tried the non-roll labeled ones and still no good. The below the belly roll makes them slide <argh> and then because of the WLS they have started to roll all the way down!

I prefer the cotton ones for comfort and coolness here in the tropical humid NE Florida area :D

I'm 100 pounds into a 300-pound weight loss adventure, and I'm having the same problem everyone who's ever lost a large amount of weight has struggled with: excess skin. Instead of a spare tire around my middle, I have two floppy inner tubes separated by a waist. Above my belly button, I have lumpy cottage cheese skin that's not a problem other than appearance (which doesn't bother me yet and is easily fixed with shapewear) and frequent yeast infections in my belly button (which is easily fixed with antifungal cream). My lower apron, though, is really heavy, and since I'm still over 350, it's still an actual, full fat roll. It hangs down between panniculus level 1 and level 2, so not extreme yet. I think the problem is more the weight than the size.

My question is, how do the rest of you ladies find comfortable underwear once the loose skin starts to become an issue? For years I've been wearing Just My Size cotton briefs, but the ones I have now are so stretched out they don't fit properly and they're so threadbare I've had to throw some out. I guess they've changed their patterns and their material, though, because the new ones I've bought do not fit properly and the material doesn't have any "give" to it at all. I've tried my usual size, a larger size, and a smaller size, and none of them fit comfortably. I want something that tucks under my tummy pooch, because I recently got an office job and now spend a large part of my day sitting in a chair with my apron spread across my lap, and here in Missouri where the humidity is already 95% and the heat index is "only" 100 degrees Fahrenheit, having heavy bare skin laying against another layer of bare skin is even less comfortable than it sounds. Plus, the crotch is too short and narrow, which is a different kind of uncomfortable, and the leg elastic stretching across my belly is itchy and irritating and makes my stomach bunch up in weird lumps. (I haven't started wearing lower Shapewear yet but in this heat, shapewear isn't really an option.) I've also tried Hanes and Woman Within, but had a similar fit issue.

I don't care what it looks like as long as it fits comfortably. I usually dress casually in jeans, so they don't have to be seamless or non-clingy or anything, but I do need something that's easy to move around in, do light exercise in, and sit in (my days are varied and I usually don't have an opportunity to change my underwear between activities). I tried boy shorts a few years ago but otherwise I usually wear briefs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1St off CONGRATULATIONS ON UR WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR WOW ????

I weight 350 now my surgery is scheduled for July 10th but so understand what u r talking about I had a c section yrs ago so i have that flap & the losing gaining didnt help

I ware Torrid underwear size 3

I'm nearly 100lbs down. Thankfully no issues with chub rub. I have very dry skin and use Johnson's baby oil gel daily so maybe my skin is just very well lubricated. Anyway for underwear I like boy cut panties. I used to buy them from Woman Within but I went to buy some more and the reviews seemed to indicate they changed them and the ones currently being sold fall apart after washing. I also have a long line brief from catherine's that is really comfy and supportive. I may get a few more of those.

I tried boy briefs recently but had the same problem with them being cut too high to tuck under my belly roll. I've ordered two different brands of ladies boxer briefs. The Hanes ones from Walmart should be here today. I really hope they help. My sister thinks it's nuts to get so excited about new underwear, but I've gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything because I'm so uncomfortable, and I'm back to my elastic-waist stretch denim shorts because they leave some breathing room. I hate the way they look, I hate the way they fit, and I feel like I'm giving in somehow or letting my weight get the best of me, y'know?

The other brand I've ordered is Comfort Choice from Woman Within. They look like they fit more loosely and they're not seamless, but it says "cooling" so I hope that means they won't make me sweat too much.

1St off CONGRATULATIONS ON UR WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR WOW

I weight 350 now my surgery is scheduled for July 10th but so understand what u r talking about I had a c section yrs ago so i have that flap & the losing gaining didnt help

I ware Torrid underwear size 3

Thanks, and good luck with your surgery. My hairstylist had a Tummy Tuck to remove her C-section flap and says once it starts causing sores and infections, insurance will often pay for it even if you haven't hit your goal weight yet. I don't have insurance and I doubt skin removal surgery is an option for me yet anyway. At this point I don't really have loose hanging skin so much as loose hanging fat rolls. I think once it's not so heavy it will be easier to deal with.

My upper roll isn't a big problem and my chest I just stuff into my bra, smooth out as best I can, and it doesn't bother me. The side skin is an issue with bras that have low-cut armholes, but the Goddess bras with side boning keep everything in place, hold "the girls" up away from my chest so I don't have the same skin-on-skin sweat issue there, and they look pretty good under my clothes, too. Once it's cooler and I have more skin than fat, I imagine I can use shaping underwear basically the same way--lift it up, stuff it in, and smooth it out as best I can.

Thanks!

try using Vagisil powder rub into hands & sprinkle into panties/pants.. also if skin is that low at apron area your local plastic surgeon can recommend to insurance & usually they pay for it even medicare/medicaid pay for it =skin removal. .good luck!! Breast reduction also usually covered ...

I love, love the Gilligan and O'Malley microfiber briefs from Target. They are the most comfortable underwear I own.