Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 8th sleeve...things no one told me

Hi All,

Well I'm officially sleeved as of Monday! Still in hospital as I write this. My doctor told me I would have gas pain, but he never told me that gas pain would feel like I was giving birth! It hurts like contractions and I cannot take pain meds as I end up vomiting them. Really rough start. Still can't even handle Water, and I'm on nausea medicine whenever I want.

They gave me suppository for the gas pain to try and help it, and it does feel a bit better today. I'm up and walking every hour. No Problems there. The stitches don't hurt, belly doesn't hurt, just severe gas pain for two days, and a lot of dry heaving. Not fun for sure. Not sure if body didn't like being under or what, but this has been a lot harder than what I was told. Hopefully it will be better today.

Amy

I'm so sorry your in so much pain!!!!From what I've read from several people here, it seems like this horrific gas pain is normal and shall pass very soon... Try to take it easy one day at a time.... I'm praying u have an extremely speedy recovery!!!!

Walk as much as you can...it helps to get your system back moving so you can pass the gas. I had really bad gas pains too...they started passing late day 2/3..I feel your pain..but walk...Walk walk. . It'll help

walk and take the meds for the nausea. I had tachycardia (rapid heart rate, prob due to anesthesia) and stayed late the following day but after doctor made sure I had nothing else going on I got to go home. Take care and keep us posted! welcome to the losers bench!

I got sleeved same day in PA. same issue with pain meds and vomit of blood. It was painful and horrible. I told my doctor this was a lot more pain than I expected to have. hoping to discharged today. my problem now is no appetitie and its hard to get down any food.

congrats! i had to only stay one night in the hospital, but my Dr told me to walk walk walk, even made me walk out lol

and the gas pain was YES by far the worst , way worse than the surgery itself. the more i walked the more i felt so much better, just sitting up made me feel better...so walk and burp and even do a little toot toot....and go on home :)

Sleeved on June 8 as well...gas pain was awful but once they removed that drain at the main incision site, it went away. Home ad still have a headache and stomach distress but being home helps! Good luck and hang in there

I was sleeved Monday and all the pains subsided yesterday. Sorry you are hurting but it will go away and you'll feel better everyday.

I was done Monday as well. Today the gas pains are much better. I only feel it when I drink or eat for about 15 sec. Then it's gone

It's amazing how different everyone's experiences are with the same surgery. I was expecting a ton of body cavity gas pain and didn't have any! But I did have some dry-heaving from the anesthesia, so I had a theory that all that heaving brought up and out a lot of that air, which was why I felt hardly any gas pain.

Once I got home I used a heating pad on my back and a microwaveable heat pack around my shoulders. It helped the gas pain so much.

Hi all! Had my surgery yesterday afternoon, and am up and alert today. On the gas pains, yes they are terrible!!! Last night I was having gas in my chest and though I was having a heart attack. Rapid heart rate and shortness of breath but my bloodwork was all fine.

Today the chest pains are gone and I'm walking a lot. I'm still sleepy, and I think will be discharged tomorrow!

As you can see your not alone! I was sleeved on June 3 and I was tired and sleepy the first 2 days! Anytime I woke up or got up to move or use bathroom I was sick, throwing up, heaving, and just feeling crappy! Docs said its to be expected, they did take out more then half our stomach and so now there's extra room and pressure and gas moving around. I sipped Apple juice and ice and maybe a few tiny spoons of Jello. I really couldn't even bare any of it though but I knew they wouldn't diacharge me without drinking. I still have my drain in me, yesterday made a week! I hope tmrrw when I see doc he takes it out! I also can't wait to weigh in, I haven't yet though I want to! Does anyone remember what was their 1st week total loss? Just curious! Hang in there everyone!!????✌️

I'm two days out and I'm still really struggling with the gas pain as well. I can burp just fine, but nothing is coming out the other end. I also have TERRIBLE hiccups. They come about once an hour, sometimes when I drink something, sometimes when I'm just laying down, sometimes when I stand up and walk around. There's no controlling them. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some more liquids in once I get rid of all this gas, but I'm definitely not meeting the 64 oz per day goal my doctor set. Maybe half of that, if I'm lucky. I hope you all get to feeling better soon.