Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10-Day Pre-Op Liquid Diet: Day Two Headache

Evening, Ladies and Gents! It's 7:00 pm Eastern Standard Time and I'm literally ready to collapse into bed.

It's Day 2 of my 10-Day Pre-Op Full liquid Diet, and I've had an awful headache and felt slightly nauseous all day. (All the whey protein/dairy is not helping my tummy feel its best.)

In case you're wondering, I've been completely compliant with the diet. I've had 82g of Protein today, and 92g yesterday, so I'm not lacking that. In fact, my Optimum Nutrition protein powders are really saving me! I'm eating (drinking) about 1,000 calories each day, and I'm drinking a ton of Fluid, so I don't think that's the problem.

Maybe it's just the extreme change in my diet that's to blame. My body is probably saying "WTF???" In any case, I've got 8 more days to go before surgery on 6-18-15. In your experience, does it get better?? (Here's hoping.)

Thanks for your advice.

It can be all kinds of things. Drastic change in diet, caffeine withdrawal, the type of Protein you are using and what you are mixing it with. Hang in there it will get better!

I'm on day six of my all liquid pre op diet. My surgery is Friday. I'm doing surprisingly well. Not hungry at all. I am having 3 Baritrac Protein Shakes a day made with unsweetened almond milk. Regular milk gives me an upset stomach. I have had broth a couple of nights and an ice pop or two each day. I thought I would have major headaches but only had a few that Tylenol worked on. Good luck!

I had major headaches for the first 3 days of the pre op diet. It was all better by day 5. My body was going crazy without all the sugar and other junk I was putting in it

I started my 10 day diet a week early, just to get the kinks out. My surgeon doesn't require a liquid diet prior to surgery, but a maximum of 1400 calories from a recommended "healthy" foods list. It was a drastic calorie reduction and I felt like caca the first few days. I'm feeling better this week. Hope you're feeling well soon too!

Are you getting accurate nutrition from your Protein drinks? I'm drinking Boost which is meant for meal replacement and is a balanced source of nutrients. Might wanna try something like that.

Thanks for the question, @linedancer718. I'm also taking a Multivitamin daily, but trying to stay clear of the meal replacement drinks which my doctor said should be avoided.

I wonder if your body is detoxing some stuff? Stay strong!

Thanks @Maggietcu2. My body is detoxing and how!! :lol:

I'm on day six of my all liquid pre op diet. My surgery is Friday. I'm doing surprisingly well. Not hungry at all. I am having 3 Baritrac Protein shakes a day made with unsweetened almond milk. Regular milk gives me an upset stomach. I have had broth a couple of nights and an ice pop or two each day. I thought I would have major headaches but only had a few that Tylenol worked on. Good luck!

@@Daisy Girl

Thanks for your post. Maybe I'll try almond milk -- even though I love milk, I'm getting sooooooo much dairy in this liquid diet.

I had major headaches for the first 3 days of the pre op diet. It was all better by day 5. My body was going crazy without all the sugar and other junk I was putting in it

Glad it got better, @@Okinawa girl. It's quite a change of pace for my body too!

I started my 10 day diet a week early, just to get the kinks out. My surgeon doesn't require a liquid diet prior to surgery, but a maximum of 1400 calories from a recommended "healthy" foods list. It was a drastic calorie reduction and I felt like caca the first few days. I'm feeling better this week. Hope you're feeling well soon too!

Wow, @@no onions, you are tough as nails to start a 10-day diet one week early!! So glad you kicked the caca feeling and are feeling better! Best of luck with your upcoming surgery. :)

I'm on day 3 of liquids for surgery on the 23rd! I have had slight nausea and a headache since I started the liquids! Tylenol is my friend right now. Hopefully the end result will be worth it! I'm drinking Fit Frappe brand mocha shakes blended with 1/4 cup coconut milk, 8 oz Water and ice... It tastes like a Starbucks frapp, but not too sweet!

I'm on day 3 of liquids for surgery on the 23rd! I have had slight nausea and a headache since I started the liquids! Tylenol is my friend right now. Hopefully the end result will be worth it! I'm drinking Fit Frappe brand mocha shakes blended with 1/4 cup coconut milk, 8 oz Water and ice... It tastes like a Starbucks frapp, but not too sweet!

@@xxjosettexx, your frappe sounds awesome! Hope you're feeling better soon. It's day 5 for me, and I'm feeling better -- although tired. I'm mostly sticking close to home so I can rest.

Oh that's awesome that you're feeling better! Good luck with your surgery!