Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamin overdoses and underdoses

Just a heads up on the Vitamin issue; please always get your levels checked after your surgery! I am now at 6 months out, and was just informed yesterday by my nurse practioner that my vitamin B12 is WAAAAYYYYY over - huh? - and I need to step AWAY from it until September....SEPTEMBER.

Then, my Vitamin D is waaaayyyyyyy down -huh?- and I need to step it up from 5000....yes 5000 to 10000 per day. Now, understand I have hyperparathyroidism, where vitamin D issues occur (had one of the glands removed in '09 due to a tumor), but even still, I have been doing 5000 units daily since then. And I'm very good about taking my Vitamins. Time for me to get the other glands checked out (we have a total of 4 parathyroid glands) as this CAN occur again.

Moral of the story: vitamin deficiencies CAN and DO occur, and you cannot necessarily know that without getting checked. Deficiencies can lead to ALOT of serious issues, especially if not corrected in time. For those who do not have a follow-up program, PLEASE have your PCP check your levels!

My B12 was high as well and I got to quit taking the extra B12 supplement! Others were mostly okay other than Iron sat being a bit low even while taking Iron supplements alone as directed. Had been a bit tired. Changed that up to a chewable iron with C. Feeling less tired now. Level will get re-checked in a few months. Hopefully that will absorb a bit better. Yup... Get your blood tests and know your #'s! Even if you're compliant, you never know and could head off issues before they become problems!

I couldn't agree more. Definitely get regular blood work after surgery. I had mine done a 1, 2, 4, and 8 months post-op so far. Next one is scheduled for 1 year, since all of the others came back great.

FYI....most people have very low Vitamin D. Especially in states that tend to have gloomy winters. Very low Vitamin D has always been an issue for me,.so they have me on mega doses :P

As soon as I started even considering WLS they had me taking D3.

Not only the gloomy weather but the use of sunscreen has really made an impact on everyone's D levels: not just WLS patients, but low D levels can really cause problems for rhose of us who have WLS.

High B12 may also indicate a MTHFR genetic mutation, which about 30% of the world has. It inhibits your body from properly processing the inactive forms of B12 and folate. High B12 is not dangerous, but if your body is not processing inactive B12, you're going to lack energy. Try switching to methyl B12 for two months and retest. Start low with methyl B12 as it also helps detox and detoxing too fast can lead to side effects.

Here's some more info: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr/

I'm compound heterozygous MTHFR and have hashimotos. Felt tremendously better after switching to methyl B12. My levels before switching were +1,800.

Vitamins can be very tricky, and some downright dangerous if too much is taken. Even though I have been checked several times since my surgery 6 months ago, my numbers tend to fluctuate. I guess I have too many other issues that interfere/play with my absorption.

Because of my hyperparathyroidism, my Calcium intake has to be a lot higher than most, along with the Vitamin D. When I have a tumor on the parathyroid gland, it actually makes the other parathyroid glands behave in the opposite manner they should, so it causes the Calcium to be stolen from my bones INSTEAD of getting the calcium to where it should be. Thus brittle bones, osteoporosis or osteopenia, thus bone breakage, thus my broken ribs..... A wicked cycle indeed. Vitamin D plays a big role in this, as well, and needs to be taken very seriously when the levels are low. This disease isn't a real common one, but I have known several folks with it, and it can be a tricky one to diagnose as it is not well known about.

Not one doctor I saw in Wyoming or Utah ever picked up on it, and only when we moved to Washington did I finally find a doctor who not only knows about the disease, he diagnosed it in me immediately, sent me in for an ultrasound scan, and had me scheduled for surgery within an hour's time! I had one of the glands removed just 2 days before Halloween, and MAN! Did I have the greatest Halloween costume EVER with my throat slit!

My Vitamin d was very high too!! I'm sitting in the waiting room of my PCP waiting for my physical. Not sure how I'm going to get blood work. You have to fast for it and I'm at work every am

@@LSF

Can you get sick leave for it? Some labs open early for just such an occasion, call and ask when they open, then if it's early enough, you can fast for it, then either bring your Breakfast or order something to-go. Good luck!

Im gonna get mine checked again next week cause I'm having some pretty severe muscle burning/weakness (think the feeling u get after holding your breath for a long time), dizziness and tiredness.

My last test showed I was slightly anemic, had low vit d and a mildly high PTH level (due to low vit d). So my vit d was doubled and an Iron pill added. I'm wondering if these symptoms are a worsening of these issues, or something new. I didn't have them when I had that blood test.

Anyone else experience this?

@@snowkitten I haven't experienced the muscle burning you describe and I work out a lot, so I don't think I have whatever you've got going on there. However, I do have dizziness and tiredness. I've met with my doctor about it and she did several tests. Nothing showed up except that I have low (for me) blood pressure now. My blood pressure pre-op had always been pretty much in the normal 120/70 range. It was maybe a bit higher than that at my higher weights. I think the highest I ever saw it was 135/85. But now it is very consistently about 90/65, which while not technically in the "low" range for blood pressure, is very low for me. For now, the only thing my doctor's had me do is "liberally increase" my intake of salt. Well, I'm not a big fan of salt, so I am trying to be at least less fearful of high sodium foods, but I still can't bring myself to ADD salt to things. Two days ago my BP was up to 95/65, so a slight improvement at least.

@@JamieLogical the pain being from exercise is logical but my exercise has been all leg centered. I tend to neglect my arms. It's not constant either. It will hit at random.

Oh I know my symptoms aren't caused by low blood pressure. I've always had low blood pressure (think 80/50 and lower)... it's actually been normal for the past year.

I'm thinking king I'm either not getting enough calories and my body is pissdd at me (I've cracked down alot lately) or its due to the anemia. I gotta fix it tho cause it's messing with my head.

So I saw my doctor and she did some blood test. Turns out my potassium was low. I thought I was going crazy that I was so weak my arms literally felt like I couldn't lift them. Turns out that's a symptom! Something about paralysis.

So I saw my doctor and she did some blood test. Turns out my potassium was low. I thought I was going crazy that I was so weak my arms literally felt like I couldn't lift them. Turns out that's a symptom! Something about paralysis.

Glad you got that figured out. It's tough though, because potassium is hard to supplement. I've always been potassium deficient. I started getting bad cramps in my calves while I slept when I was maybe 10 years old? My pediatrician told me to start taking potassium supplements, but whats available over the counter is only like 15% of your daily recommended allowance of potassium. What did your doctor recommend for you?