Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will we have to low carb for ever?

So basically i am getting the feeling that we are supposed to be on a low carb diet from now on , does that seem pretty accurate? I have been stalled for 2 weeks sitting between 240-243. Ive been eating low to no carbs for Breakfast and lunch and then having a little for dinner. Should i just cut them down for dinner too? I cant say i am having tons maybe a few from crackers or a small portion of potato, or even flat out bread.< /p>

Yes.

Yup. Low carb for life. Carbs can and probably will stall your weight loss.

Yes, but.....................I do eat carbs. but they are non-starchy carbs from non-starchy veggies and one serving of non-starchy fruit like berries. One slice of wheat bread is allowed on my plan, but at Breakfast, not dinner. My plan allows for about 150 carbs, but some of that is from two servings of milk or Greek Yogurt. I find that if I go over fifty carbs, I stall.

Still, at 50 carbs, I can eat all of the green veggies and tomatoes I can stand. If I get the mindless nibbles, I will open a can of green Beans and pour them into a bowl. They do a lot less damage than chips. i take thick slices of cucumber and use them to hold bites of tuna salad instaed of using crackers. I have made adjustments, but it's not killing me. As a matter of fact, ditching starchy carbs has made me feel a lot better. So, my taste buds don't like it, Miss Tummy is the boss of me, now

The hardest thing for me to give up is bananas, so I will cut them in thirds and have that 1/3 with breakfast, but not at bedtime. I don't like to sleep on carbs.

I do eat some carbs. But I shouldn't and I know I shouldn't and I suffer the consequences when I do. For the most part, it's easy for me to avoid carbs in my day-to-day eating, because I have a pretty set routine and in order for me to get in the 100 grams of Protein my nutritionist recommends, I simply don't have ROOM for carbs. That being said, I still emotionally eat on rare occasions (SO MUCH better about it than before). And I also still get exposed to things like cake and ice cream at parties and occasionally partake. I don't want to completely deprive myself for the rest of my life, so when social events present themselves and I eat a few carbs, I just brace myself for the inevitable stall or even slight gain on the scale. I'm not in a race to reach my goal weight. I want to still live a full and happy life. So if having some cake at a birthday party means one or two extra days until I reach my goal, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

But as for daily eating, it's Protein first, which means no real room for carbs.

Complex are very important if you exercise a lot as you need them for fuel. Protein helps repair the muscles and stos the body from breaking down muscle. Stay away from sugary carbs and remember it's ok to be on a low carb diet but bad to be on a no carb diet.

I guess... but I've never really "counted" carbs in this process. I measure my Protein intake and calories, (in the beginning to make sure I got enough calories, now to make sure I don't go too far over). I find if I'm eating Protein first and getting my 80+g per day, I don't have room for or even want much else. Do I splurge on carbs now and then, yes, absolutely, but 80% of the time I'm protein first.

I avoided carbs the first four weeks, worried about dumping syndrome. I quickly learned that my new pouch did not tolerate greasy foods, beef, regular cheese (low fat is fine) or too many eggs. Unfortunately, I learned that sweets like cake did not cause a problem as predicted. So, for a millisecond, I was like "Wahoo, I can eat cake" but then of course, that is stupid. As someone said previously, getting one's Protein first leaves a bit of room for veges and a bit of low sugar fruit.... that's all. I do miss the carbs, but not so much that I would hurt my progress....

Complex are very important if you exercise a lot as you need them for fuel. Protein helps repair the muscles and stos the body from breaking down muscle. Stay away from sugary carbs and remember it's ok to be on a low carb diet but bad to be on a no carb diet.

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I always have Kashi Cereal or granola with my greek yogurt on days I do cardio.

I did not know that! My dr, basically tells us that we can eat what we want , just eat all a serving of Protein first, which as most know, doesnt leave much room for else! I do eat my Proteins before anything else that i usually dont have any room left. But the few local gals i know that have had the procedure done said they have not done a special diet. I was hard core Atkins before i had my surgery and it worked pretty well, I had a lap band in at the time, for 10 years actually and I lost more when i would atkins than with the band itself. The band wouldnt let me eat meat so eventually, I decided to have the revision done and get the sleeve. I really did not realize that i would be on low carb the rest of my life. Its a little sad but too late now ESPECIALLY if i want to see some results. Makes me feel like i should have done more research and just gotten my LB taken out instead of the full on sleeve procedure.

I really think the low carb thing for sleevers just stems from the restriction more than any ketosis-based Atkins-style diet. We have so little room for food and we need so much Protein, that it really does just not leave any space in our routine for carbs. For instance, one of my favorite meals pre-op was this Pasta dish my husband makes with Pasta, italian poultry sausage, peppers, onions, and diavlo sauce. I'm 9 months post-op now and he still makes this dish, but in order to get enough Protein for a meal, I eat the equivalent of one whole sausage and a couple tiny bites of the veggies with sauce and I am BURSTING. No way I could have room for ANY of the pasta, even if I wanted to, which I really don't at this point.

If I did swap some of the pasta for sausage, then I wouldn't get enough protein. In order to hit my 100 gram per day protein goal, I need 16-20 grams of protein from my dinner (factoring in the protein I get from the rest of my meals/snacks on a typical day). The italian sausage is 19g. So eating any less of it would simply not be enough for me to meet my protein goals.

I personally think as you're losing weight, you should stay away from carbs in the form of bread, rice, potatoes--anything white basically--as much as you can. Get most of them from fruits and veggies. I think the closer you get to goal and onto maintenance, I think it's actually good to incorporate whole grains into your diet and introduce carbs slowly...but still keep them to a minimum and no white stuff.

In my case, I get terrible cravings for sugar and more carbs when I eat them (especially the white stuff) so I really keep them to a minimum and will the rest of my life.

Agree with low carb diet --just means get Protein first and this leaves little to know room for the carbs or the "bad stuff". My dietician says there is nothing you won't be able eat but you will need to make the right choices and portions will be much less.

Exactly as Sam said. You do NEED some carbs in your diet but it's all about the ones you choose. Don't cut out all carbs.

And as always Protein first, veggies second and then f you have room...

Great info everyone, I need to figure something out and work on more Protein. I know for a fact i do not get in that much, I might get in 60 grams and that may be why i dont lose much. I will definately kick it up a notch as well as choosing the right carbs. What is a normal amount of each to shoot for, grams of protein and carbs per day? :)