Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blue Cross of Florida just crushed my dreams

I live in Colorado.... They changed the requirements for my insurance to cover the surgery 3 days before my paperwork was turned in.. I was denied. However my doctor wrote a letter and they approved me based on his letter. Don't give up hope. Good luck

I'm so sorry mine was not covered through my job BCBC of Tennessee so the Bariatric Dr I saw told me about Mexico because I was crushed my PCP agreed with him co im having mine July13. Good luck to you:)

Just curious, did you actually look at your benefit plan before going through all that? I knew my insurance coverage before I even started.

No, I did not, I trusted the doctors office that called and was told by BCBS that it was covered, when is dealing with an insurance company ever easy and to go through my benefits book, if I knew where it was, wouldn't have been easy either, why I figured the office knew what they were talking about when they said yes, it was covered.

I barely feel comfortable having the surgery done in my town, let alone having it done in a foreign country a couple thousand miles away where nobody speaks english, may as well have the surgery in Florida would be the same thing, HA! I don't know if I mentioned this I am in NY, not Florida where my policy is, as I am a Florida resident, not a NY resident.

That's crazy the same with me mine is BCBS of Tennessee and I live in Az.

Yeah - I have BCBS of Mass - and I live in NY! :wacko:

What happened?

Medical Tourism is big business in Mexico. Check some of the links on this site and you will be surprised how many doctors and staff are bilingual. When it comes to Medical Tourism, English is the lingua franca for services. Several of my American born doctors studied abroad, whether it was Guadalajara, Grenada, Italy or Spain. As for affordable care act issues, the compromise for what individual states consider essential health services was to appease states with low levels of acceptable public services. A lot of compromises were made and the winners were the insurance companies. When I was a kid in Florida I use to hear horror stories of uninsured people being discharged from hospitals as soon as they were stabilized.

Edited by Nikasio

Nothing yet, Bobbe - my surgery won't be until Sept or Oct - just hoping it will be covered.

Was really commenting on the vagaries of the ins co's. Stuart lives in FL but has BCBS of NY (or vice versa). Kiki lives in AZ but has BCBS of Tennessee.

No wonder people have a hard time figuring out if they're covered - and that includes the MD offices, too.

Sorry if I added to the confusion.

Here is a table by state of coverage for weight loss surgery under the Affordable Care Act:

http://nofusa.org/news/health-insurance-cover-obesity-treatment/

There is also other information about financing and coverage. The state of NY offers bariatric surgery as part of the ACA. Perhaps a move to NY since you are there already is in order?

Here is a table by state of coverage for weight loss surgery under the Affordable Care Act:

http://nofusa.org/news/health-insurance-cover-obesity-treatment/

There is also other information about financing and coverage. The state of NY offers bariatric surgery as part of the ACA. Perhaps a move to NY since you are there already is in order?

One would think the drs office would know that website, as I'm sure I'm not the first one from out of state to want coverage ...

Thanks

Why don't you switch to the NY coverage. I lived there and never formally changed residency from Florida and was still able to get insurance, plus didn't have to pay a dime since I made under $90,000/year with a family of three. This was before the Affordable Care Act. Try and see if you can change insurance companies. Plus NY covers bariatric surgery.

I went through this whole bariatric process a year ago, lost my job so of course lost insurance. I looked into obamacare and while some states DO cover it, there are a handful who DO NOT. I know its disheartening, I'm sorry.

Why don't you switch to the NY coverage. I lived there and never formally changed residency from Florida and was still able to get insurance, plus didn't have to pay a dime since I made under $90,000/year with a family of three. This was before the Affordable Care Act. Try and see if you can change insurance companies. Plus NY covers bariatric surgery.

They verify you are a NY resident now so I can't just get a NY policy :(

I am so sorry this happened to you. I had to self pay for my surgery since I am a state employee in Texas and Scott and White insurance will not cover it. It is insane that the Scott and White Hospital is a Bariatric Center of Excellence and has excellent surgeons, but they will not cover the surgery. They do accept other insurances, but I cannot just switch insurance mid stream, have to wait for enrollment, which would not really help me. I know how you feel.

Can you maybe get a low interest loan to do self pay? They typically will do a special rate for self pay patients. I do not know the cost in Florida, but Texas is (fairly) reasonable about 6-15K depending on where you have the surgery.

Hang in there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches