Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been repeatedly overeating for dinner the past three days. Today I did it for lunch too. Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post-op.

There is no good excuse for why I've been doing it. The first time, I was just super hungry, so I gobbled down my food way too fast. The last few times it's been because I ordered too much sashimi at a sushi restaurant and didn't want to waste it.

Needless to say, I feel horrible. I'm far more concerned about stomach staple leakage than stretching out my stomach. I'm hoping that once I throw away the rest of the sashimi tonight that I'll get back to eating normal portion sizes.

I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with over eating early on? And why do you think you had that issue? Right now, I'm thinking it's the lingering 'do not waste food' mentality.

Scares me that this can happen. Maybe if you bring your own small plate and always put just what is the proper portion on it and that is it. Wasting food was one of the hardest things I have learned when I had my lapband. But in the end would you rather waste it or have a bigger waist? Just throw it out, give it to the dog, portion it and fridge for future meal. Do something with your time right after you eat so you are away from the table and not focusing on food. Even in a restaurant get up and leave if you are done as sitting there with family and friends will allow you to snack and focus on the food. We are doing this because we need to and they will understand. One girl I like to look at her posts on youtube says she eats before she goes to dinner at restaurant or friends houses and then just says oh I already ate and does not eat at all at restaurant or party. Also she said she wears her tight Walmart panties that have tummy control fabric, like tight underwear, so that she feels full faster when with family or friends in situations with food. Don't worry about what already happened, just get back on track for now on.

Just plan on being a big food waster from now on!

It takes some adjusting but you need to practice slowing down: take smaller bites, chew thoroughly, and put your utensils down between bites.

Believe it or not, when you slow down and actually chew your food you get to enjoy the flavor longer.

I also used to struggle with the idea of wasting food, however now I'm basically single handedly starving people in Africa with the amount of food I waste. (That was what my parents always said- there are starving children in Africa, clean your plate.) It's actually become a sort of power for me to only eat a few bites of something and throw the rest away. My sleeve likes to puke anything it doesn't like or anything I eat too quickly or too much of, so I quickly learned Portion Control, even though at times I still end up running to the bathroom because my stomach spews anything that didn't fit or it didn't like right back out my mouth.

I'm surprised you can over eat I'm 2 weeks post op and everyday I wake up I'm praying I can eat pizza again and sleeve says not today girl stick with purees but you will be better I'm sure but I think it's a good idea to share food with everyone because I don't have to see it or pick at the food any more

The problem that got me here was what I ate and how much I ate. I asked my surgeon what size the sleeve was and how much it would hold. I measure and that's all I allow on my plate to force me to stop. Right now at 3 weeks post op I can't eat much but there will come a time I am sure when I can and I don't want to regain. I ask for to go boxes anytime I am out and box it up. I mix and match with other things for my lunches and dinners til it's gone. Told my hubby I am a cheap date now lol

I dislike immensely being uncomfortable or in pain so that was enough for me to stick to my portions. Even today at 7 months out I still am very conscious of my portions. It's a new way of life so I have to be.

When we go out I either share a meal with my hubby or daughter, or if I order my own meal I make sure it is something that will reheat well so I can eat the leftovers the next couple days.

Like others have said I don't like to waste food, but I would rather it out than make myself sick trying to finish it.

Good luck with your journey!!

Old habits die hard, lol. I suggest you weigh and measure everything you eat, and when it's gone STOP.

Just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you should.

@@Babbs

Just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you should.

I am able to over eat - meaning I'm not one of those that feels full on 3 or 4 ounces. I also eat too fast, which is probably why I don't feel full with 3 or 4 ounces.

EVERY SINGLE meal is a choice, I choose to limit/measure my portions and I choose to put my fork down and force myself to eat slower. This is me for the rest of my life, one meal at a time.

Buy you some baby spoons. It makes you take smaller bites and more aware of what you are eating.

I did the same thing. Taking a scale to a restaurant is ou of the question. I'm almost 2 months post op and I've learned to eat slow and choose things that won't expand or take up to much space in my stomach. Like drinking or eating bread. In my mind I always say I don't wanna waste my space on that. Id rather get full on something better. When I went to eat sushi I ate only the fish and not the rice. I hope it gets better for you. Good luck.

There's a learning curve to it. Once you are eating outside of your home at restaurants or parties or whatever, you just have to try to get better at accurately estimating the right amount. I accidentally overate a LOT in those early months of solids and still do sometimes even at 9 months post-op. But I am MUCh better about it than I was in the early months.

@@AvaFern My parents said the same thing about the starving children in Africa.

I only wish that I could throw up when I was overfull. The food just sits there and makes me miserable for about an hour and a half.

I just woke up from a 3 hour long nap, and I still feel full.

Throwing up not good with sleeve