Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Step by step experience with Dr. Fernando Garcia

I wanted to share my journey for my surgery in Tijuana with Dr. Fernando Garcia.< /p>

As I was in the process of deciding if I was going to have the surgery or not, I had the opportunity to read a step by step story of someone who had a VSG. It helped me a lot to visualize the journey ahead. That had an important impact on my decision. I would have liked to read one on my specific surgeon and his team.

So I will try and do the same here for Dr. Garcia's future patients.

I would like to mention my first language is French…so please be indulgent while reading me.

First of all, everything went well!!! From the start until the end. Linda, the coordinator has been very helpful, patient and devoted in answering all my pre-op questions and believe me, there were a LOT!

Sunday: We arrived in San Diego. We were picked up by the chauffeur and went straight to the hotel in Tijuana. Crossing the border was nothing…We didn’t even stop for any questioning?!? It took about 20 to 30 minutes from the airport to the Hotel. When we arrived, we were welcomed by Sacha, a coordinator. She was very nice answering our questions and giving us instructions for the next morning, surgery day.

Here’s a little hint for the hotel. The room I was given was on the street side. It is very loud so we asked to be switched on the Golf side. There’s a 25$/day upgrade charge but the room is quite bigger and much calmer. So when we checked out the next morning to go to the hospital, I booked a room on the golf side for when we got back 2 days later.

Monday: We left for the hospital at about 7 am (there were 4 of us to go in the same day). When we arrived at the hospital, I was given a room, they drew some blood, did an EKG. During the pre-op phase, I had asked Linda (coordinator) to be the first to go in surgery….what a good move! I got to meet Dr Garcia before the surgery. He was very attentive to my questions and need. I got in surgery at about 1h30 p.m. Since I was pretty nervous, I was given medication until then.

After surgery, I was told to walk a lot. That’s what I did. As soon as I was conscious, I walked…and never got that shoulder pain people are talking about from the laparoscopy gas. My stomach was hurting a bit (spasms) but not that much. The worst that night was the nausea and a bit of vomiting…That’s it.

Tuesday: I walked, walked, walked. Began to drink and walked, walked, walked. Dr Garcia and the other doctors checked in on me. Dr Garcia’s team is very attentive. A lot of them also had the surgery so they know how we feel….

Wednesday: The 4 of us (patients who got in the same day), went out to get a radiology test for leaks. The liquid I had to drink for that was nasty…But hey, it’s not that bad.

We went back to the hospital, they took out my drain (a bit uncomfortable but not at all painful) and we were driven back to the hotel.

I felt pretty confident with the care I was given in the hospital. There were lots of doctors, nurses and a representative checking on us really often. Everybody spoke English, except the nurses. But still, we managed to communicate without any problems.

The hospital was cleaner than clean, the room was awesome with a great big shower. However, the bed for my husband was a bit uncomfortable …He needed a good Chiropractor session when we got home! Lol…

That day, when we got back to the hotel, our room was not ready so we went to eat a bite at the restaurant (I had broth of course) and afterwards, the room was ready. I was glad to be out of the hospital. Near the hotel, across the street is a small store when you can buy drinks, candy, chips and stuff to eat. My husband had their fajitas a few times for lunch or dinner. Also, there is a Wall Mart and a few other stores and restaurants nearby.

Thursday: A nurse came by to take off my stiches (staples). Everything went well.

Friday: We were supposed to go home that day but since the airfare was cheaper leaving on the Saturday (even paying for the additional hotel stay), we stayed a day longer. However, I could have traveled back home on Friday. Although I was weak, I was well enough to travel.

Passing through the US customs was also very easy without any complications.

So that’s it. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask in the inbox or with a reply.

thank you for this.  I am pretty sure I am going with Dr.Garcia - when was your surgery? 

My surgery was on may 18th. Good luck and have faith :D

Wow they keep you at the hospital/ hotel a few days...that's great! They're keeping us in the hospital just 2 days. (arrive Monday a.m., surgery pm, stay until Weds when they discharge mid-morning) I've chosen to stay in SD 2 extra days because I'm afraid of DVTs & PEs on my long flight home so soon after surgery. I'm a Nervous Nelly!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by peteyrulz

Are you having your surgery in Tijuana also? I think staying two additional days is better. You will be in better shape to go back. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Dr. Garcia was one of the 2 Drs I had in mind. I ended up choosing Dr Zavalza. I hope my surgery goes as good as yours.

anna0322, I'm sure it will :D !

Thank you so much! Would you mind sharing what you had to do prior to traveling? Did you have a consult in the US first?

Actually, I'm from Canada and yes, I consulted my primary care physician and had a battery of tests before I left (blood tests and EKG). I wanted to make sure I would not be refused for surgery by my surgeon in Tijuana for health conditions. I also consulted with a cardiologist.

I hope this helps

Everything sounds great, I also am considering going to Mexico for surgery. How far out do they schedule your surgery ? Who did you contact?

I think you can schedule a surgery as early as a month or so. I personnaly went through a different company But there are a lot of good surgeons available.

Thanks for the info. I will look into that route if my insurance doesn't approve.

Thank you for posting this. I have been talking with Linda from a different company about a revision with Dr. Garcia in Mexico. I was doing great and was ready to schedule and put my deposit until my bariatric doctor here started telling me I would die if I went to mexico for surgery and that if I have any complications after surgery no doctor in the us would save me. I am very nervous now and mixed with anxiety. I am hoping to talk to someone on the phone who has gone through this as on here you can never tell if they are really patients or someone that works for the doctors.

I had my sleeve done with Dr. Garcia 07/03/13 and my experience was very similar to yours and mine went great also. I have had several friends and former co-workers go to him since then and not one of them has had any type of complication. I have now lost 125 pounds and feel amazing. I recently went to my 25 year high school reunion and no one knew who I was!!

I am going to Garcia in August, searching for a buddy