Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Appt 6/16, deciding on a procedure

I am new to this forum, I meet with the surgeon on 6/16 and I can't wait. I have 100-120lbs to lose. I am 40 years old and I have well controlled MS and slight HBP. I started gaining weight with my 1st of 5 pregnancies 20 years ago and kept adding weight even after my last was born 11 years ago.

I originally went into this journey only interested in Lapband, but now a few short weeks later it is my 3rd choice. I booked a seminar with a place that only did Lapband and then met someone who was a year out form having a bypass. She told me how much she loved it and that her surgeon had stopped doing bands. I then went to my seminar and didn't like only being told about one option. That night I found another surgeon's online seminar and watched it, based on that seminar and other research I know think I want my first choice to be sleeve, 2nd bypass, and 3rd band.

My biggest reasons for wanting the sleeve over the bypass are: time off work needed and I like the idea that the digestion process isn't changed by the sleeve. I really hope my insurance covers it, because if I have to go to a self pay option it will be quite a while before I can do that.

If you could tell me which procedure you had and how much time you had off work I would really appreciate it.

Sleeved on May 15, 2015...took one week off with memorial day and weekends for a total of 11 days. I felt tired but was ready to go back after 7 days. I do have a desk job so also depends on your type of work. Good luck!!

I was in the same boat as you when I first started, I thought I wanted the sleeve but after a little more digging and reading people's (long term) journey with the sleeve, I knew bypass would be best. I am now almost 2 weeks post op with bypass and so glad I made my choice. I've had zero complications no nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhea nothing! I have NO issues with any foods I've tried so far which hasn't been much but I can tell I'll be one who can tolerate pretty much anything. I know if I had the sleeve I'd be like so many (not all) on here that have issues with weight gain, because I can see how the head hunger will get you even after surgery and if my pouch was the size of a sleever I could definitely see how most either stop losing after 5-6 months or slowly gain weight back.

I would continue doing your research and ask your doctor, ALL of mine encouraged bypass. Just do what you think is best for you. You know your eating habits and patterns better than anyone.

Oh and I'm a Teacher so I'm off for the summer but if I wasn't I'd need at least 2-3 weeks unless it was a desk job.

Edited by Martene81

I got the sleeve because I did not want the port thant comes with a band, and I did not want rearranged. Two of my sisters had a bypass and they are both happy with their decisions.

I forgot to say that I am an insurance agent with a desk job.

I had the lap band and was out for a week. My surgery was the on 5/11 and I returned to work on 5/18.

I had band, and ended up being one of the high percentage that had complications with it. It really damaged my stomach after slipping and creating masses of scar tissue, and eventually I had to have it removed. I revised to Sleeve, and have been very happy with my choice. I was off work for one week, and had an easy recovery.

I was in the same boat as you when I first started, I thought I wanted the sleeve but after a little more digging and reading people's (long term) journey with the sleeve, I knew bypass would be best. I am now almost 2 weeks post op with bypass and so glad I made my choice. I've had zero complications no nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhea nothing! I have NO issues with any foods I've tried so far which hasn't been much but I can tell I'll be one who can tolerate pretty much anything. I know if I had the sleeve I'd be like so many (not all) on here that have issues with weight gain, because I can see how the head hunger will get you even after surgery and if my pouch was the size of a sleever I could definitely see how most either stop losing after 5-6 months or slowly gain weight back.

I would continue doing your research and ask your doctor, ALL of mine encouraged bypass. Just do what you think is best for you. You know your eating habits and patterns better than anyone.

Oh and I'm a Teacher so I'm off for the summer but if I wasn't I'd need at least 2-3 weeks unless it was a desk job.

Great advice! Do what you feel is

best for you. I have chosen bypass revision after failed band because of the "head hunger" -- also, if one tends to suffer from reflux, I was told sleeve wouldn't be a wise choice.

Just waiting now for my insurance appeal.

Edited by Mrs. Schu

Congrats @ I hope you hear good news soon and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your decision for bypass ????

Just added my husband to the 1st appt. he might do it too.

My first appointment was yesterday and I too, am deciding between procedures. The lapband isn't on my list, I am between the bypass and the sleeve. My surgeon said both would work for me and I have time to decide. My husband is supportive of both. Good luck deciding. I am going to go through my upper GI/EGD testing to find out if I have reflux before I make a final decision.

Hubby had the bypass 9 years ago, I had the sleeve almost 10 months ago. He took 2 weeks off, I pretty much worked the week I was home (Realtor). Nothing major, just a final walkthrough and a couple of closings. But I felt good. Tired, but good.

FYI hubby has kept most of the weight off with the bypass, aside from a 30lb gain after quitting smoking that he's since lost. Also, 9 years later, he is very B12 deficient and has to take shots. The Vitamin malabsorbtion issue was why I chose the sleeve.

I chose the sleeve because it made the most sense to me. I did not want anything rearranged internally. Both bypass and sleeve have their own malabsorption "issues" re: Vitamins, food, etc. My surgeon was strongly recommending that I have the bypass done because he felt I'd have a better chance of losing the 100 lbs. I needed to lose. He also told me that most sleeve patients only lose about 40 lbs. at best. Despite all of that, I still chose the sleeve. I had seen too many on BP who were sleeved and had lost at least 100 lbs. so I knew it could be done. The sleeve made the most sense to me and my husband. I did a lot of research in the year that I took deciding whether or not I would pursue WLS. My husband was very supportive of either procedure, but also felt the sleeve made the most sense. I work for a very large healthcare system and have many co-workers who have had WLS of one variety or another. I talked with everyone to get a take on their individual experiences, and regardless of which procedure they had, they all said the same thing (except for the gal who had the lap-band) -- it was the best thing they had ever done for themselves and they would do it all over again (even those who had complications after surgery).

I had my 6/7 month post-op appointment yesterday with my surgeon and his PA. They were both very pleased with my progress :D and the fact that I'm not experiencing any of the bad side effects that some people do. I made sure to point out to my surgeon that I had already lost most than what he said I would probably lose :P . I plan to prove him so wrong on that "prediction."

I have no doubt you will make the best informed decision for yourself, as everyone's journey is different. Good luck!

My appointment is in 2 hours. I am so excited to finally get this show on the road!

I choose the sleeve as I have medical issues and need to take medicine even after WLS. Don't want malabsorption with medicines.