Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have lost weight but body looks the same

I am 3 months post op and have lost 28 pounds. The only problem is that when I look in the mirror I still see my big belly. I seem to only be losing weight in my arms in my inner thighs. I am getting so discouraged because people are telling me like that I don't look like I'm losing weight. It seems like I'm just losing weight everywhere else except my belly. I get some exercise but probably could be doing more. I would really like to hear some suggestions.

I know how you feel, I will be 2 mos post op Monday, and it seems like the only weight I'm losing is in my legs. My belly still makes me look like I'm pregnant, and I still have my double chin. So discouraging when your grandmother tells you that you look like you've gotten bigger...lol...have to laugh to keep from crying sometimes.

I am still preop, but have lost 20 lbs so far. I have lost exactly 0 inches from my waist- it is all in my hips, thighs, and calves. Drives me nuts!, but I know it is just how it is. Better to be losing there than no where at all!

We all tend to lose differently and for me the waist tends to be the last to go. It will happen! I would suggest taking your measurements every so often to see the inches where the scale may not reflect changes.

I do mine about every 3 weeks.

I am also losing slow, but I have lost inches and stomach area is very large and what you don't se is the fat that is internal. So I have decide to but my efforts on learning how to retrain my mind on healthy eating until my body catches up to my mind.

Sometimes it takes longer for us to see the changes in ourselves. I have taken pics almost monthly since my surgery 7 months ago and I don't think I noticed a big change until about 3 months. If you have not been taking pics start now and do it monthly. I promise you will start to see the changes!

Summer Rain

Morning.

We have all gone through the feeling you are having at this time. It takes at least 4-5 months before you see a real difference. Wait till you buy your first outfit in a smaller size. It is amazing.

I went from a 4x to an XL in 6 months. I love looking in the mirror and seeing this amazing transition. You will see it, be patient and give your body a chance to react to your amazing work.

Have a sparkling day !!!

No one really noticed my weight loss until I had lost 50 pounds. The reason is because I lose from everywhere. Now, over 7 months post op, my stomach is still my problem area but I have managed to lose 80 pounds and 10 inches from my waist. However, I haven't lost any from my waist in the last two months. Right now it's coming from my legs. Crazy body!

Make sure you are taking measurements and full body pictures. I love to compare my body shots month to month. From May 1 to June 1 I developed a thigh gap. I may not have noticed fully clothed. ;-)

I have this same problem! I think it may be because as your body is getting smaller sometimes it's still the same shape. Like for me, I have a big belly... so even when I look at myself in my photos, I still think I look exactly the same... because my belly is still the biggest part of me and overall I feel like I still look the same because I'm still the same shape, just a few pounds smaller. I know that I am getting smaller because I can wear pants that I put away because they were too tight before... so I know there are changes, but sometimes they are hard to see. I agree that taking measurements can be really helpful. Sometimes your scale may not move but you can still be losing inches, especially if you're exercising.

As far as exercise goes, the exercise guy at my surgeon's office recommends walking 6 days a week, so that's what I'm trying to do. Then after walking, a light weight workout, I started out with 2 pound dumbells and I'm going up to 3 lbs now... and then some light stretching.

I can see some changes in my legs, I've gotten comments about my arms looking smaller... I can't wait to see less belly though!! :)

You know that losing weight from your belly is the last to go. It is ridiculous to think we lose weight from fingers, toes, earlobes, legs,arms...ect before our stubborn stomach fat goes anywhere. Just stay strong and true to your weight loss and work out routine and you will eventually see the difference. The same goes with me. I don't see it but since my first pair of goal jeans button I know that there is weight loss in that area and eventually you and everyone else will see it! Good luck and your weight loss so far is amazing!

Wow, thank you so much for posting this and everyone's comments. I am nine weeks out and have lost 40 pounds and no one has commented. My old clothes all fit now but I see the same shape in the mirror as well. My body looks the same to me as well except my legs and butt look thinner.

I really feel better now that I am not the only one. I guess if we stick with the plan, and keep our bodies moving, we will eventually see the results. Chin up (lol)

This thread makes me feel better as well. I've dropped two pant sizes since starting my pre-op diet about a month ago, yet every time someone takes a picture of me, I still see a huge whale taking up most of the picture. My arms are still all fat and cellulitey and gross.

My family says it looks like I'm dropping weight, but most of the time when I look in the mirror, I just don't see it. Inches are coming off, but my weight loss is stalled. I keep telling myself that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing hope.

After seeing two other people go through the surgery, I thought weight was going to be just dropping off of me. I think the perspective changes when you're the one going through the changes. My days and weeks seem to last forever now because my mind is so focused on the goal of looking better.

I have lost so much weight from my arms and legs. I wore a 16-18W bottoms and a 2X top, I am now down to a 10 bottom and L size top. I still have trouble with the bottoms sometimes because of the waist. All it takes is me not exercising for more than a few days for my stomach alarm to go off. The alarm is a tight waist fit. In order to be comfortable, I go to my size 12 bottoms. Having to do that is like a reminder of what I need to do. It works too! Walking works well for me along with weights when exercising.

Remember, that if you are doing everything the way the Surgeon and Weight Support Staff are telling you, it will work show, we all lose weight differently, and as said before, the stomach can be stubborn.

I am still preop, but have lost 20 lbs so far. I have lost exactly 0 inches from my waist- it is all in my hips, thighs, and calves. Drives me nuts!, but I know it is just how it is. Better to be losing there than no where at all!

for

For some reason I have also lost a huge amount of weight from my legs. When I was thin before I've always had bigger legs. Not anymore!

I did take awhile but eventually it can off my belly too. It takes some time.