Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else had trouble using the sweetener STEVIA? Man, what a stomach ache it gives me!

Hi there, brands really differ and there are some that have other additives, like maltodextrine. I use the liquid from Trader Joe's and only a few drops as it is very sweet, much sweeter than sugar. Truvia makes me sick.

I decided I wouldn't do either. I didn't like the taste :P

Yuck! I think Stevia tastes like licorice, that thing which i hate.

I am addicted to Truvia. I've tried another brand when my grocery store was out of Truvia and it was SOOOOOO GROSS.

I love Stevia and I always purchased the Central Market brand from HEB...but recently they changed their packaging and now simply call it HEB brand Stevia. It has a much different taste that doesn't sit with me well.

I switched over to Monk Fruit in the Raw and LOVE it. No weird after taste.

I don't have any problems with Stevia. I don't use very much though... one packet in a glass of tea or cup of coffee, and both of those are things I don't have daily anymore. A box of the packets lasts for a long time.

I tried xylitol the other day on my strawberries (mashed them up for a sauce), and it was great! Lot less carbs than sugar, and no bellyache!

No tummy issues from it, but the taste in some things I've had was really really bad. It tastes like bug spray to me and I just couldn't get past that. I recently used some Truvia baking blend though and didn't have that awful taste, but I didn't realize it was 50% sugar so I won't be using that again.

@@LousPeachy

never tried STEVIA :blink:

I'm a "Sweet 'n Low girl :rolleyes:"

(even though i am already "sweet" enough!!) -_- :lol: :D

Kathy

I tried both stevia sweeteners which are processed with xylitol and/or maltodextrin and stevia herb which is simply the dried stevia leaf powdered. I liked them both, but it turns out they are an allergy trigger for me. The stevia plant is in the rag weed family and I'm allergic to ragweeds, so I cant have either. I sweeten my food with either raw honey or regular sugar. I just use them sparingly.

Definitely Sweet N Low for me, although it make my stomach sing songs for awhile after I drink it !

For sweeteners and baking I just use raw sugar or honey straight from the hive. Never worried about the calories. I can tolerate stevia and erythritol in Protein powders and bars, but other sugar substitute taste gross and often causes me pain. I've always drank real fruit juice and regular sports drinks/vitamin Water rather than the low cal/ sugar free versions. Hasn't seemed to hurt my weight loss or maintenance.

BTW, for any of you using products containing xylitol and have dogs, make sure you keep it out of their reach as even a small amount is very toxic to them.

Edited by Kindle

Just remember, any sugar alcohols, xylitol, malitol, erythritol sorbitol,etc, are all wonderfully potent laxatives.

With a sleeve a laxative effect can be magnified. And the last thing you MAY want is being dehydrated from the laxative effect or getting your body used to the laxatives, and then without them,you get constipated. Just a a friendly FYI. When i was young, many moons ago, we used to see who could chew up the most sugar free candies without running to the bathroom...needless to say, it never ended well.

For fun look up the sugar free Haribo Gummy bears on Amazon, and read the reviews. you will fall over laughing. BTW DO NOT EAT THE SUGAR FREE GUMMY BEARS. lol read there and youll find out why.

@@Stevehud For many of us, we have issues with Constipation post-sleeve, so a laxative effect is pretty welcome! Personally, I have not struggled with constipation the way many people I've seen on these forums have. Perhaps it's due to my regular use of Truvia and the Erythritol in my Protein Bars? I have pretty regular (daily), well-formed bowel movements. So I have no complaints. Seems to be working for me!