Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here told they had to change birth control?a

I was told I can get the arm implant or an IUD ( I forget the name of the IUD apparently there are two different ones) Im hoping for the mirena as I was told by my OB that will help lighten or even stop my already heavy periods that I have. Paragard sounds nice as it lasts 10 years but OB told me they tend to make some women's periods heavier. That wouldn't be good anyway you would think for someone who would be at higher risk for an Iron deficiency wouldn't you think? The arm implant I was told by OB has made a lot of his patients GAIN weight.

Any thoughts on this?

I've had the Mirena for about 3 years now -- had bypass surgery 4+ months ago. What I can tell you re my experience w/the Mirena is that is has been a life-changing positive experience for me!! I had EXTREMELY heavy periods for about 5 years during peri-menopause, probably starting in my early 50's (now 59). I mean, and sorry if TMI, passing HUGE clots, soaking thru super-tampons and multiple pads, etc. Finally found an OB-GYN who understood and with my weight (highest was 390), she was concerned I might have uterine or ovarian cancer. Biopsies later, thank goodness, did not, but she highly recommended the Mirena for controlling my periods even though I didn't need it for b/c. It literally changed my life for the better! After a few weeks, during which I had slight spotting here and there, my periods just stopped. To go from "afraid to go anywhere because when I stand up I pass clots" to "normal" was amazing. Before my bypass surgery, I did ask if losing weight would possibly make it come "loose", which might sound silly, but I was a bit concerned, and was told no. This doesn't exactly answer your questions, but since you mentioned Mirena, I wanted to let you know what a positive thing it has been for me. Best of luck!

Oh, and don't get me started on the HORRIBLE doctor who I only went to once after she went on and on during a biopsy (before Mirena) about how "if you're big on the outside, you're big on the inside and I might have to call in a special team to do the biopsy" -- all while her arm is shoved inside me and probing around. All I could think was what I freak show I must be if she was going to "call in a special team" who would all be staring at my private parts. ugh, ugh UGH. Then found great doctor who treated me with respect...even at 300+ lbs.

I changed to a Nuvaring. I was told the pills may not absorb right. The shot may contribute to weight gain. I had surgery so I could have a baby after the 18 month wait so I did not want something that lasted as long as an IUD/Mirena.

I also have the Mirena and have for 7 years. Originally, because of extremely heavy cycles. Have not had a cycle at all in 7 years and I love love love my Mirena!!!! I highly recommend it!

I just got the ok from the weight loss center for Mirena. Thank god because my periods are super heavy too. Paragard was tempting as it last TEN years - I have 5 kids so I'm definitely done having children. Paragard makes periods heavier so hmmm that's a no brainer right there Mirena it is.

Della your doctor sounded evil I would have reported that because that doesn't sound right to me. I probably would cried. It's not to late to leave her reviews online ; )

I was just approved from my insurance for gastric bypass. Next is my final pre op class. I'm getting nervous.