Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve in one surgery. Who's had it done that way? How long had you had your band? What was your recovery like? Any complications? Regrets?

when you went back to get it out was it still draining?I am wondering what happens if it is?Thank you!!!

They took mine out before I left the hospital. It was still draining some but it was only a little. The point of it was to watch for blood and dye make sure there were no leaks.

I got banded in 2004, it slipped and I had a new band put in in 2010. I started with the first band at 425 lbs. I have been as low as 285 but have held steady at 310 for the last couple of years. I spoke with Dr. Allen Alvarez in San Antonio and told him about throwing up nearly every day and the clogged feeling that was much too prevalent. He suggested converting to the sleeve and I started doing my homework. I will have the sleeve conversion on July 7. Thanks to everyone that contributes to this site as it has been a big factor in helping to get to this place.

I was banded in Nov 2011. I had my revision to gastric sleeve along with a hiatal hernia repair on 7/2. Pain for me, was intense when I first woke up in recovery. The surgeon explained to me that I had a lot of scar tissue from the band that he had to clean out. He did tell me that I would have more pain than the average vsg patient. :(

Honestly.. Most of the pain comes from the CO2. I wish there was some way for the doctors to get it all out before sewing you up.

I'm at day three now and still have a little gas pain, but WALKING and deep breathing exercises make a huge difference.

Now im just really tired.. Living on 500 calories a day or less doesn't allow for much more than getting up to use the rest room or fill my Water cup.

Going to try and hit 700 calories today! Thats my goal. :-) best of luck to you all going in for the vsg!

I am having my band converted to a sleeve on Tuesday and I am excited. Trust the homework you have done and the doctors and you will be fine.

I was banded in Nov 2011. I had my revision to gastric sleeve along with a hiatal hernia repair on 7/2. Pain for me, was intense when I first woke up in recovery. The surgeon explained to me that I had a lot of scar tissue from the band that he had to clean out. He did tell me that I would have more pain than the average vsg patient. :(

Honestly.. Most of the pain comes from the CO2. I wish there was some way for the doctors to get it all out before sewing you up.

I'm at day three now and still have a little gas pain, but WALKING and deep breathing exercises make a huge difference.

Now im just really tired.. Living on 500 calories a day or less doesn't allow for much more than getting up to use the rest room or fill my Water cup.

Going to try and hit 700 calories today! Thats my goal. :-) best of luck to you all going in for the vsg!

I have been getting under 500 since 6/30. I'm not sure how to get more in on this diet.

I had my revision done on June 24th and I am feeling great for the most part.I also had to get my gallbladder out so that was alittle more pain but not too bad.My question is-I also had to have a drainage tube put in,has anyone else had to do this an if so how long.Mine is in for a week getting it out on Wednesday,but I waswoindering if I am still draining what happens then? Has this happened to anyone in there procedure,Please share! Thank you

yes, I have a drainage tube. :(

My doctor said they come standard with any type of revision done by him. I get it removed on Wed, which will be 6 days post op.

So far ive been averaging 20-25 ccs every 4 hours. Im 3 days post op now. Is that similar for you drainage wise? Its slowing down a little.. I'm also paranoid whats going to happen if it's still draining fluids when they take it out.

Would have liked it all done at the same time but my dr requires a three month wait period between the two. I even got a second opinion and was also told it had to be done in two surgeries. Just had my band removed on the 29th and looking forward to the sleeve in September! Really glad to hear though that the one and done has not caused complications and I wish you luck!

I had revision done all in one surgery-best for me. No complications. The incision where they took the port out hurt the most

Like the others--I am so glad to have that thing out of me. I had stomach pain daily with the band.

BUT eating with the sleeve was very different than the band for me. With the sleeve I struggled with knowing when to stop eating. With the band I knew immediately if I had eaten too fast or too much. The sleeve was much more subtle for me and I ended up vomiting sometimes immediately after eating too fast or too much. Or even 15 minutes later. I had to learn to stop a long time BEFORE I felt any fullness. If I do that I'm fine. The weird thing was that too much food is not very much food so that was hard for me.

Best wishes to you all!

I got my band in 2009 too. Just had my band-to-sleeve revision in Mexico on 4/27/2015. I am very happy. The band saved me health-wise so I can't regret it, but I was so tired of puking and feeling stuck and I was no longer losing. The sleeve has been great and I am losing again! Good luck... you won't regret it!

Its been 3 days now and so different from the band. I sip very slowly - only drink 2 Protein Drinks and try to get in as much Water as possible. I average between 50-60 oz per day. It is so odd chewing the Vitamins since we are liquid only. Trying to be very careful. I gained 7 lbs from surgery but lost that and 1 more so far. Have my first doctor's appt Wednesday. The pain has not been bad - I have been walking and blowing into the device.

I am 4 weeks post revision. I had the band for 10 years an also was never told that the band had a 6 to 8 year life span. I too was a mess inside. Scar tissue and a large hiatal hernia. I am having problems with the sleeve. I can hardly keep anything down and the seliva reflux is very bad.

Since I can hardly keep anything down I am losing weight too fast. 35 pounds in 4 weeks. I have had to go back to the hospital for dehydration two weeks ago and feel like I need to go back again. This is not what I expected. I am worried at this point but my doctor does not seem to be. I am half way to my goal weight but at the speed of my loss I am afraid of malnutrition .