Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm ready to use my band

I got a band in 2011. I had no success. But I know that's on me. But I'm ready to use it now. I'm just not sure what to do. Do I go get a fill? We don't live in the same town or near where I got it done. All fills will be out of pocket, but I can deal with that. I really don't understand how to use the band and how it's supposed to help. I've had to fills and never had any restriction. I do still get food stuck ever so often, but I never have restriction. Any advice?

Time to find a doctor. that will be your first stop. talking with a nutritionist is a must. and a plan will be made. start eating slowly, chew thoroughly, and small amounts. start a food journal. I wish you luck.

Oh gosh...how could your doctor put in the band and not give you detailed instructions on what to do and how to work with it? Shame on him/her.

Yes..as terry says above, find a doctor who can explain everything you need to know. The basics regarding eating with a band is Protein first, then veggies and then carbs...if you have room for them.

I always follow a Weight Watchers type of plan...3 oz. Protein, 1/2 cup veggies, 1/4 cup carbs and I entered everything into a food journal like myfitnesspal so I could track my calories, sugar, sodium, fat, etc.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Honestly I feel like I jumped in so quickly thinking this would be a magic fix. It wasn't. I don't really understand what restriction is. I do get food stuck ever so often so wouldn't that mean I have restriction? But I am constantly hungry :(

What kind of dr do I see? There are no bariatric surgeons anywhere within 2 hours of me and to go see the on two hours from me requires $2500 for them to start seeing you for a Lapband they didn't do :(

I think the place where I can get a full could help though.

Hi there, sounds like you are ready to out your band to work! Nice thing is that the surgery is all done -- but until you are at the green zone the band is just sitting there. The links below in my signature are two sources that really helped me understand about the band. Maybe they will help you, too. So glad you are here. You are in good company. Call and make an appointment! When your appetite is dimmed then you can make good choices -- otherwise it's just a diet. We know how hard that was and why we needed weight loss surgery. Time to activate that band and learn how to use it!

Thanks! I don't see the link or signature. Maybe bc I'm on my phone?

@Kellysue

Here are the links Bandista mentioned above.

Eight Golden Rules of Lapband:
http://www.bariatric...dr-paul-obrien/

The Lapband is not about Restriction:
http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

They do give you some really good insight in understanding what your band is there to do for you.

In the mean time make use of some of the resources here on BP to find a Dr. in your area that might be able to help you get back on track with your band and start giving you fills.

The first step is always going to be an examination to ensure that it's placement hasn't migrated and that things are in good working order.

If you have health care coverage start with them to find a Dr. in your area to assist. Most of those tests (Upper GI and or Barium swallow) should be covered at the very least an x-ray.

A good way to start and refresh and reset and I do this from time to time is to go back to band basics and go back to the very beginning of post op. Start with a clean slate. liquid diet, behavior modification, band eating mechanics, weight and measurement of foods. Going from phase to phase of "eating" liquids, to mush to soft to regular foods.

You will go through this again when you get your next fill...so you can practice now and that should kick start a weight loss for you.

Come back often and let us know how your doing!!