Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and so glad I found this site !

Hello,

I'm Kate from south of England and I am due to have a gastric sleeve on the 23 July 2015. I am on holiday right now, so thought this would be a good time to read, read and read some more. I researched a few places which did sleeves and decided to go with the Bariatric Group and will be having my procedure in Poole, Dorset. I am married with 4 boys, aged 53 and have been overweight since I was 32 and my thyroid not only stopped working but my body ate it, thinking it was a foreign object. For the past 3+ years I have had a fight with the NHS for private prescriptions for Natural thyroid rather then synthetic stuff. My GP (ex I might add) was very annoyed I knew more than her and finally I managed to get Natural Thyroid. This has really helped and in 2013 I lost 85llbs but since Oct 2013 to now I have put it all back on. Lose weight, put back on, lose weight put back on has been the story of my 30's 40's and 50's and I need it to stop.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and say hello, hopefully get to know you all and get support/offer support!

Kate

Edited by ukkateuk

Hi and good morning to you. I am in UK too and I hope to have my surgery for gastric sleeve in July either 14th or 21st just waiting for the surgeons secretary to come back from holiday. I found this site after reading books on Kindle whilst on holiday. Its a week since I went to see the surgeon and I just want to get it over with now. Like you all my life I have battled with my weight, on and off on and off. This is it for me, I want to see my beautiful granddaughter running around and be able to catch up with her. Do keep in touch.

Chris

@@chrisredjeep - that's how I feel - I have two beautiful little grandsons and I want to be able to catch up and play with them!

Yes that's one of the main reasons but there are so many more like being able to get out of the car without stressing that someone has parked too close to me when I come back. Limboing into the drivers seat from passengers seat is not a good look!. Avoiding being in photographs and declining invites as I just don't want to see people looking at me. So many more, Im sure we all have lots of different reasons, but whatever was the last straw, we are here are ready to be sleevers.

Chris

Your post came right out of my mouth Chris... Having to get out of the car so hubby can park it in a 'normal sized space' - whatever that is! I just went to a wedding and declined photos although hubby is going to take loads just before I start the 2 weeks liver reduction.. I won't mind those :-)

My surgeon said not to do any special diet! I was amazed as just about all the posts here say about the liver reduction diet. I hope to lose a stone before I go in just off my own bat, I will let you know as soon as I have my date which should be in July. Its all very exciting but scary too, but the reward will be great.

I actually looked into having the band 5 years ago, but OH was very much against it. This time round he came to see the surgeon with me, and Mr Hassn explained it all to him in great detail. I am determined to do well with this.

Welcome! This is a great community and you will find so much information and support here. If/when you have any specific questions or concerns, be sure to post and people are usually really good about answering. I'd just advise to be a little patient, since most people on these forums are in the US, so the time difference may mean you aren't posting at "peak" times and people may be slow to respond.

Hi wishing you luck for your upcoming surgeries. Mine was done in Wimbledon on 19th May. I had a 2 week pre-op diet. I'm now onto purée stage. It's hard but I know it will be worth it. We have less post op care here than in US I think. But all seems to be going well so far. It's a hard decision but the results will come:-)

@@chrisredjeep do you have your date yet ? Exciting times isn't it mixed with a bit of nerves no doubt. How are you feeling about everything?

@@rosieuk : What company did you go with? How are you feeling after the op? Are you taking any Protein drinks yet and if so what brand? So many questions, so little time lol.

I am with the Bariatric Group and they have sent loads of info and kept in touch by phone. It's made me feel less nervous and more confident in them and what they can provide post op.

Please keep in touch, it would be fantastic if we could support each other especially with stuff you can buy in the UK.

Kate (from a very hot south of France!!)

Hi I didn't go with a company. I chose a bariatric consultant (Marcus Reddy) and then had the op at the Parkside Hospital in Wimbledon. I have his direct mobile if I have any issues or questions. I even sent him a photo of my incisions as I was a bit worried! I find that reassuring. He also has a counsellor and a nutritionist attached to his practice.

Generally it's been a good experience if a little distant. Most of the US Practices seem to have a lot more post care. I was sent home with some painkillers and took my own dressings off a week later:-)

I use Maxi Nutrition Protein milk. I have choc and strawberry flavours and they're easy to drink. I've found them in both Holland and Barrett and Tesco so far. A good way of getting Protein in. Hope that helps!

Hi wishing you luck for your upcoming surgeries. Mine was done in Wimbledon on 19th May. I had a 2 week pre-op diet. I'm now onto purée stage. It's hard but I know it will be worth it. We have less post op care here than in US I think. But all seems to be going well so far. It's a hard decision but the results will come:-)

Hi Rosie. I wondered if you were based in SW london. I had my gastric sleeve done in 25th April this year and would love to hook up with people in the local area in the same boat. Don't know if you would be interested.

Hi Davina

Where are you based? Good to find another 'local'! There's very little support for us, I know. We could try hook up and give some support

Hi Davina

Where are you based? Good to find another 'local'! There's very little support for us, I know. We could try hook up and give some support

Hi Rosie. I live in Battersea SW11. Where do you live?

I'm Hampton Court. Used to live in Wimbledon, hence knowing Parkside Hospital. Not too far away!:-)

I'm Hampton Court. Used to live in Wimbledon, hence knowing Parkside Hospital. Not too far away!:-)

Well that's not far at all. Could meet up in putney or Kingston. Would love to do that if you are game