Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What rule(s) do you let yourself break?

And what rules do you NEVER break?

To be brutally honest, I break the "no caffeine" rule (I drink a coffee every morning) and I break the "don't drink liquids with your meal" rule. On occasion I'm even known to consume an alcoholic beverage. These are my sins!

That being said, I adhere firmly to: daily Vitamins, supplements, Protein intake, exercise (cardio and strength), calorie limit, no carbonated drinks.< /p>

Is it fair to say we find what works for each of us? Compliance 100% of the time to 100% of the rules seems unattainable. But I like to think I comply to the vast majority of them ;) most of the time.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to encourage rule breaking, and please don't admonish me or anyone else for being honest!

I wish everyone success on their journey, whether they are rule-breakers like me, or not.

I sometimes take tiny sips with meals because my mouth gets dry very easily (even when I'm past my Fluid goal!), and I drink with a straw because it's easier to take in less air for me. I'm following everything else (calories, Protein, etc). Eating for twenty minutes and then sitting an hour after a meal with no liquid at all makes my throat too dry and gives me a hacking cough that turns into heaving, so it was a choice I had to make.

I decided I had to do what I needed to do in order to prevent myself from getting to that down point. I'm losing weight, not as fast as I'd like (also hitting that three week stall), but I'm doing good, I think. Meeting goals, dropping weight, and losing inches with ease.

I'm going on 11 months out in another wk or so..I started using a straw I avoided it till a few months ago. I know it sounds crazy but I easily blow thru it first a little then inhale to me (maybe I am just rationalizing to myself or what have ya) but it works. I get more fluids in using it. and yes I do drink my caffeine coffee in the morning ...2 cups. I am not human till I get it..lol..I drink Decaf the rest. and due to enlarged goiter behind thyroid (knot in my throat) and sjograns dryness in mouth and slower muscle movement in my esophagus I sip some during meals. I drink all day long but yes I drink a little before during and after its just not much I have to to get it down. no carbonation! I never will. that's my confessions!! :)

I use straws, sometimes drink diet soda, do use caffeine about as much as I always did (not a ton, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it) and while I keep my intake pretty low, I'm not starch or sugar free.

OTOH, I NEVER drink while eating (more than wetting my tongue if my food is too dry) because it makes me ridiculously sick and I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I also track everything that goes in my face religiously and watch calories and Protein in particular.

I do think that we have to be aware of the rules and commit to changing our habits, but that for me it's been important to make sure I can live with the plan forever. I'll never go back to scarfing down 2 value meals in the car, but a teaspoon of sugar in my morning tea isn't the end of the world.

Rules I "break".....

I drink alcohol.

I eat pancakes, muffins, Cookies, cake, candy, Pasta, bread and rice

I do regular sugar stuff...not low cal/sugar free (yuck)

I drink with meals

I don't count calories, track or measure my food (except Protein and water-see below)

I usually drink Decaf, but won't hesitate to drink caffeinated if that's all that's available

I graze and snack

I have no formal exercise program or plan (my regular life is active enough)

Rules I follow...

The first two rule breaks above are done in moderation (I guess this is MY rule)

No carbonation (tried it....ouch)

Take my Vitamins every single day

Drink at least 64oz water/day

Get 60-80g protein/ day

Get bloodwork done regularly and adjust Vitamins accordingly

My personal #1 rule.....

Eat a healthy, balanced diet of Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains every day.

I do think that we have to be aware of the rules and commit to changing our habits, but that for me it's been important to make sure I can live with the plan forever. I'll never go back to scarfing down 2 value meals in the car, but a teaspoon of sugar in my morning tea isn't the end of the world.

That's a good point too, roudisashape, we are so far from going back to our previous habits. I related to the value meal in the car thing (and hiding food)...such a far cry from that now.

I'm 7 1/2 months out, my huge No-no is that I eat more carbs then I should, which I'm sure has contributed to my two month stall. Nor do I track my intake.

I AM allowed coffee, so I have 16 ounces a day.

I do wait 30 min. after I eat to drink (this is the amount of time I was told to wait)

I don't eat& drink. Not as big of an issue as I thought it would be.

Have not had a soda since Sept 30. I surprisingly don't really miss it.

I do work out 3 days a week but should definitely increase it (prob another reason for my stall).

Rules I "break".....

I drink alcohol.

I eat pancakes, muffins, Cookies, cake, candy, Pasta, bread and rice

I do regular sugar stuff...not low cal/sugar free (yuck)

I drink with meals

I don't count calories, track or measure my food (except Protein and water-see below)

I usually drink Decaf, but won't hesitate to drink caffeinated if that's all that's available

I graze and snack

I have no formal exercise program or plan (my regular life is active enough)

Rules I follow...

The first two rule breaks above are done in moderation (I guess this is MY rule)

No carbonation (tried it....ouch)

Take my Vitamins every single day

Drink at least 64oz water/day

Get 60-80g protein/ day

Get bloodwork done regularly and adjust Vitamins accordingly

My personal #1 rule.....

Eat a healthy, balanced diet of Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains every day.

How are you with the alcohol? My brother's wedding is at the end of this month and while Im not going for tipsy or drunk i'd like to share a toast with them.

Alcohol doesn't affect me any differently. I started with 1/2 glass wine about 4 months out. Since then I've had more wine, vodka cocktails, whiskey, and twisted tea. I've consumed up to 3-4 pretty strong drinks without feeling drunk (buzzed, but not slobbering drunk). I cannot do carbonation of any kind, so beer and champagne are out.

A lot of people report that alcohol hits them quick and hard postop, but not me. I had a very high tolerance before surgery and was looking forward to Being a cheap date but it didn't happen. i used to drink every day, but now maybe 1-2 times/month. The calories just aren't worth it anymore.

I nursed a mixed drink at about 3 months while I was on vacation, some sort of blue coconutty conconction, didn't impact me any differently. I didn't finish it because I couldn't hold it all and, like Kindle said, not worth the calories :). TBH, I haven't had any alcohol since, so I don't know how my tolerance would change with time.

The only "rules" I was given were:

Don't wash your meals down - I adhere to this one as drinking with meals tend to make me uncomfortable anyway.

Get your Protein - Yes. In maintenance 1 year now and still put a scoop of whey in my (real) coffee every morning. I avoid caffeine the rest of the day now. (Previously lived on diet coke).

Stay compliant with supplements - Yep. Still do that too. Vitamin deficiency is a real risk with us. My Iron sat was down a bit even while taking Iron supplements as directed (outside any other supplements) so I changed to a chewable with C. Hopefully I'll absorb it better. Don't know if it's helped, but I have more energy now. Guess I'll find out at my next physical.

Other than that, I eat high Protein and pretty clean during the week, exercise every weekday and party on the weekends including alcohol in moderate amounts. I don't consider it "rule breaking", but living life as a fit person in maintenance!

I'm finally allowed real food, so I eat Protein first of course, but I will let myself have a small bit of a wrap or something. I also have been using a straw since about two weeks post-op. My surgeon has also given me the okay to drink Water whilst I eat, as he says flushing my food through isn't a concern at this time because I can eat so very little. I never break the more than 2 oz rule for now though, because I do not have a trigger that tells me when I am full. I also was not given a ton of supplements to take daily - I adhere to the ones given, my pepcid twice a day, my Vitamin ADK twice a day, and a Multivitamin. I am off the pepcid and ADK after 3 months.

Edited by LadyRouge

i drink with a straw now. and i don't really count things - i just kinda eyeball them. i do count my Protein and Water tho.

I have had a Mikes Hard lemonaide with ice. When the ice melts, there is not more fizz. Went well form me.

I'm only two months out, so I don't do a lot of rule breaking, but I did have a small piece of fried chicken (pulled most of the skin off but not all) and I had a couple bites of a cupcake over Memorial Day weekend. Both sat fine in my tummy. I'm glad to know my new stomach can tolerate it, even though I won't "cheat" again for awhile. But I plan on having a drink on my birthday that's coming up! My NUT told me six months, but I'll only be four months out at that point. I'll hold off after that because I do want to lose weight as quickly as possible in the first six months.

I take my Vitamins religiously, and I always make sure I get in my Water and Protein. I also exercise at least three times a week.

I think we also have to enjoy life. I personally wouldn't be happy if I never had a drink or a little taste of something sweet. But I'll never go back to drinking daily or regularly eating fried foods and simple carbs.