Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freezing Homemade Broth?

I'm planning on making my own broth for the pre & post op phases of my diet. My question is: can I add Protein Powder to the warm broth prior to freezing? I thought I would make both chicken & beef broth, add Protein powder, and freeze in individual portions (ice cube trays). I've read that temps over 140* will cause curdling, but haven't come across any info on freezing yet. TIA

You can't heat up the Protein powder. Assuming you're referring to the uninjury unflavored powder or something similar? It clumps up. I remember having issues with the chicken Soup flavor too. It restricts how warm you can make the Water and since I like my Soups hot, I could never stomach the stuff. I still have 3 unopened containers in my pantry. I'm now 14 months post-op. I guess I should throw them away!

I didn't note if you are pre-op. are you a big fan of chicken broth now? I never was and couldn't stomach the idea of it post-op either. If you can't tolerate it, know there's plenty of other alternatives. It really doesn't have that much protein in it.

Hi & thanks for answering. Actually I am pre-op and trying to make things ahead that will be halfway palatable afterwards. But you're right - I don't think I could drink lukewarm broth whether it's homemade or purchased. Yuk! Back to the drawing board...

Good for you for planning ahead! I'm a planner too. Just look at the pic posted below. This is my freezer now 14 months out :). It's hard to remember what I was having in the liquid stage. I ended up having the same Soups I enjoyed pre-surgery and puréed down anything with chunks in them. The stage is so short-lived, so don't go too crazy planning. Your tastes may change too. Mine did. One thing I did make was individual size Jello where I added unflavored Protein. Note that unflavored protein DOES have a flavor to it though! I remember eating a lot of cottage cheese in the early stages. I guess I would have to look back at by early posts on BP to see what else I was eating!

post-203485-143309656396_thumb.jpg

Protein powder is like adding an egg to something hot. it becomes lumpy and yucky. to add protein powder to anything hot you have to first make a paste with the powder using tepid Fluid. than slowly add hot liquid while stirring rapidly. I have never been successful using the microwave on protein powder.

That's an awesome looking freezer, Bluesea! Glad you brought up the fact that the liquid diet lasts for such a short time. I probably would have gone overboard...

Thanks for the info on the Protein powder, Terry - I was really more interested in whether freezing had any deleterious effects tho. Have ordered/purchased lots of sample pkts of the powder - just haven't been able to bring myself to try any of them yet! :unsure:

Why not freeze the broth, then add the powder (mixed with water) to the thawed broth, when you're ready to use it? Quick and simple. I mix with cold or room temp. Water, just a spoonful or two, then add to whatever wet food I'm eating (scrambled eggs, Soup, stew, chili....). Making your own homemade broth is the best, much better than canned. You can add all kinds of seasonings to it, and change it up that way. Use a cheesecloth to contain herbs/whole spices, then remove before using. Enjoy!

Hi there, congratulations on all! Big new chapter opening in your life! I, too, am a planner. Made quite a bit of cauliflower smush and had to toss some, but what the heck. As for broth, I make it regularly and have a freezer full of jars. I have been using GENEPRO Protein powder which mixes very well into everything I've tried so far. 30 grams for a tablespoon, less than 100 calories.