Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG With Simultaneous Hiatal Hernia Repair

Very common, most ins pays if they are paying for the WPS.

-RC-

i had HH done with my VSG and i was off work for a week for my surgery and worked from home for a week after then back in my office the next week after that - it isn't a big deal really. I am glad i got it fixed tho i suffered from reflux my whole life and now it's gone!

I took 4 weeks off, went back in 3, but could have returned after 2. I had both procedures and an extremely painful recovery period for 2 days. I told you that because I wasn't prepared for it after reading so many posts on here about people not having much pain. I thought "well that's gonna be me, too! Very little pain!" Wrong. Doc says it was from all the gas after a 4 hour procedure. I've never had such bad back pain. Anyway, pain was tolerable before I left 2 days later and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I'm down 40 pounds in 7 weeks. I have so much energy and I'm loving life!

I had both at same time..everyone's different I had esophagus spasms it started when I started sipping water..after the first night I had my surgeon keep me in another night to stay hooked on iv I knew I would leave and end up in er I could barely drink didn't want to get dehydrated. I was given a script by my internist to numb my throat and coat on down I just had to be super careful to much would numb my mouth so I had to get it as far back before I swallowed..haha..ended up sipping on luke warm teas..last for 2 wks for me..my gerd never left still had it for about the first 6 months or so but it's resolved itself..been doing good for several months..everyone's different. Maybe talk to your surgeon about a script for stand by just in case..? Just suggestion..first month for me was hard..I was 4 months getting energy back..best wishes..????

This is great, different perspectives. Allows me to best prepare myself.

I had them both done st the same time and everything went great. Surgery was 4/28/15. A week later I was begging my doc to let me go back to work. I had no pain and was bored to death. Lol. Good luck I hope everything goes well for you.

Are you talking about a script for the throat spray?

Did they just give it to you in the hosp when you started w/ esophageal spasms, or did nurses have to get MD order? Or did you get from internist when you got home? Just trying to clarify. Thanks.

I had both at same time..everyone's different I had esophagus spasms it started when I started sipping water..after the first night I had my surgeon keep me in another night to stay hooked on iv I knew I would leave and end up in er I could barely drink didn't want to get dehydrated. I was given a script by my internist to numb my throat and coat on down I just had to be super careful to much would numb my mouth so I had to get it as far back before I swallowed..haha..ended up sipping on luke warm teas..last for 2 wks for me..my gerd never left still had it for about the first 6 months or so but it's resolved itself..been doing good for several months..everyone's different. Maybe talk to your surgeon about a script for stand by just in case..? Just suggestion..first month for me was hard..I was 4 months getting energy back..best wishes..

i was sleeved in oct and i had a hialatal hernia and when i awoke was told they repaired another. recovery was fine, i don't think you have to worry. i was told i didn't have to lift anything heavy for a few months though.

Did they just give it to you in the hosp when you started w/ esophageal spasms, or did nurses have to get MD order? Or did you get from internist when you got home? Just trying to clarify. Thanks.

I had both at same time..everyone's different I had esophagus spasms it started when I started sipping water..after the first night I had my surgeon keep me in another night to stay hooked on iv I knew I would leave and end up in er I could barely drink didn't want to get dehydrated. I was given a script by my internist to numb my throat and coat on down I just had to be super careful to much would numb my mouth so I had to get it as far back before I swallowed..haha..ended up sipping on luke warm teas..last for 2 wks for me..my gerd never left still had it for about the first 6 months or so but it's resolved itself..been doing good for several months..everyone's different. Maybe talk to your surgeon about a script for stand by just in case..? Just suggestion..first month for me was hard..I was 4 months getting energy back..best wishes..

my internist called a liquid in for me..after I was home. It was a Water soluble novicane..

Same here...repaired the hernia during procedure. I didn't even know I had one!!!

Got it - thanks!

my internist called a liquid in for me..after I was home. It was a Water soluble novicane..

I had hiatal hernia repair and sleeve APRIL. 3, 2015. At first it was hard to take deep breaths, but that soon improved. I went back to my part time desk job after 1 week. I was very tired though for about 3 weeks. Everyone is different though. All the best to you.

I had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time. You have one more incision and no more gastric reflux. In very crude terms, they just pull the part of your esophagus that is not supposed to be above your diaphragm back down to where it belongs in your abdominal cavity. I only started having reflux about 2 months before surgery and I haven't had it since. I also didn't notice anything different than I feel like I would have noticed if I only had the sleeve surgery done. Fixing the hiatal hernia is often part of the process for sleeve surgery and very routine.

Thanks cause didn't know what to expect. How long was your recovery? like before you could return to work?
Thanks! I have to have a hiatal hernia repair also. My VSG surgery date is July 6, 2015. I am excited + a little nervous.

I had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time. You have one more incision and no more gastric reflux. In very crude terms, they just pull the part of your esophagus that is not supposed to be above your diaphragm back down to where it belongs in your abdominal cavity. I only started having reflux about 2 months before surgery and I haven't had it since. I also didn't notice anything different than I feel like I would have noticed if I only had the sleeve surgery done. Fixing the hiatal hernia is often part of the process for sleeve surgery and very routine.

Thanks cause didn't know what to expect. How long was your recovery? like before you could return to work?
Thanks! I have to have a hiatal hernia repair also. My VSG surgery date is July 6, 2015. I am excited + a little nervous.
Good luck to you. I go in July 16 let me know how it goes