Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are stalls real or do we just make excuses ?

Riddle me this, AussieSam.......How do you explain metabolic syndrome and its effect on weight loss?

I'm currently going through a stall right now...

Started about 2-3 weeks post op and WILL NOT END!

I'm 1-month post op today.. how long do these stalls normally last?

Whenever there is a calorie deficit then fat loss occurs let's take for example the biggest loser show there is rarely a stall and if a contestant hasn't lost weight for that week then most likely they over ate.

If we are going to bring reality shows into this "scientific" argument, then what about Naked and Afraid? They may eat a few hundred calories total over 3 weeks. They are expending thousands of calories each day just trying to stay warm, build a shelter, gather firewood and Water and looking for food. Often too weak to barely stand up. And most only lose 15-20 pounds in 3 weeks.

Compare that to how I lost 22 pounds in 2 weeks on my preop diet taking in close to 1000 calories/day. That along with my previously mentioned stall certainly discredits your theory. Like someone else said, physiology is different than physics.

What I believe is that people use the word stall to mean different things.

What I consider a stall is that you are eating such that you "should" be losing weight but temporarily it does not show up on the scale. Our bodies are not machines, we aren't a car that always gets 40 MPG on the highway. The scale sometimes lies... Water retention or whatever.

A stall is NOT "I have been overeating, off program and not losing weight"

calories in calories out only works in the movies, or in a perfect world. Just as your body gets use to having 3000 calories, it also gets accustom to 1200 calories. That being said, regardless of what you do, if your body/mind fears starvation it is going to make sure that your internal organs and brain are not damaged if possible. Plus someone mentioned that it is the quality of calories in that matters. If you are eating 1200 calories of high carb then your fat stores are never needed, and the body will happily utilize the carbs. Our body packs away energy stores for emergencies, and the only way to use that up is to not add to it with carbs and sugars.

And if you are going to bring The Biggest Loser into it, do you recall the Second Week Curse? They have been notorious for most contestants not losing much if at all for the second week weigh-in. I think they are trying new things now to get around that but it's not cutting back on more calories or doing more workouts, it's most likely doing different types of workouts because, just like eating, the body gets used to certain exercises and you have to shake it up a bit to get results.

But, you asked about stalls, real or not. I think it depends. I think there are stalls that are totally real. People are doing everything right and the body is just not cooperating for a variety of reasons. And then all of a sudden the next week they can drop 10 pounds and they still haven't done anything differently. But, there are also some stalls where people aren't following the program. THere isn't just one answer. It really depends.

Riddle me this, AussieSam.......How do you explain metabolic syndrome and its effect on weight loss?

The risk of metabolic syndrome decreases when weight loss occurs if exercise is done properly and calories in is less the calaries expended fat loss should occur.

It is not always important to fully understand the answer to all of life's mysteries... input, output, eat right, be active. the recipe for success (99% of the time, as nothing is a 100% certain.)

a7b108e8dca865d2972094197beaa7fedadf0c15

my scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks. (a first for me) but I have been working out harder and lifting very hard. I know my body is changing and getting more fit even though the scale does not show that progress.

AussieSam,

Great topic and discussion! I agree with you – the laws of physics (or metabolism, or energy balance) still apply, even if they are “altered” during weight loss due to slowed metabolism. So, like you said, I believe you will lose weight if you are eating fewer calories than you burn. Your metabolism could slow way down (say to 700 calories, as in the example AussieSam gave), but you could lose weight by dropping to 500 calories/day (hypothetically – I’m not recommending it, and I doubt if your metabolism really slows to anywhere near as low as 700 calories!).

That said, the scale doesn’t necessarily go down each day (or each week!) even if you are eating less than you burn. That could be because of things like Water retention even if you are burning fat. That could explain a “stall” if you are certain you are eating perfectly and you still aren’t losing weight.

In most cases, though, I think stalls happen for a reason that’s under our control. At least, it’s true for me. Maybe I let a few “extras” creep into my diet, or don’t quite exercise as much for a while. Since I’m at goal weight, my “stall” is really a “regain,” and I need to nip it in the bud – as soon as I admit to myself that my habits have slipped.

I agree not all body weight lost is always fat – it can be muscle when our bodies are starving. But to some degree, eating fewer calories than you expend leads to weight (body weight, not Water weight) loss.

Anyway, great conversation – thanks!

Well said Alex

This concept is very similar to when people say I am fat because of my genetics ignoring the fact that consume 5000 calories a day and don't blame their eating habits. My stalls in the past have been my fault I had extra calories creep in while I'll under estimate my total calories reduce exercise and wonder why I am stalling.

I did not read all the comments but I am here as living proof with over a dozen health dx's I was one of the "complicated" one's that stumped the medical field. ppl can believe on the stack of physic's bibles all they want I kept gaining and gaining till I met with my new endocrinologist after she read my chart and medical history and after seeing her for 6 months and she seen what was going on with her own eyes between gaining almost 35 pds in a short first few months of being her pt, this theory of calories consumed verses burn was tossed out the window. I was down to eating no more then 500 calories daily, the media pushing the ff/sf items all these decades , and it takes calories to burn to breath, run your organs, sleep, walk etc...not to mention your activities during the day and sleeping..I was putting on weight every time I went back. including insulin resistant, 1 side thyroid dead from being destroyed the other side enlarged and put on thyroid med for 3 months prior to her sending me to WLS that I was prime candidate for this surgery. I know that medical issues play a role in some obesity related individual. I ballooned from 210 to almost 275 within a yr. and yes stalls do happen. my first stall was the 3 wk..it last a few wks. then I hit one about 8 months and fluctuate up and down 2 to 3 pds was out of ketosis then BAM I started again losing last wk all of a sudden dropped 4. been ketosis ever since. the inches are coming off I dropped again I was stuck in the XL to L for a few months and now in M/L..just wanted to share my experience I have lived on the medical issues of weight hanging on for dear life and increasing despite changing lifestyle diet I did 2 yrs ago and remain on today except I eat full fat .it has never bothered my tummy..:)

At week 3 I stalled for 22 days.. My NUT told me to increase calories to 800-1000. I was consuming about 300-500 and burning way more than that in exercise.. once I was getting at least 700-800 a day for a few days, weight finally started dropping..

I think stalls are real and an absolutely normal part of the weight loss process. Just part of your body adapting. However, if you "stall" lasts more than 6 weeks or so, you probably need to change up your behavior\routine. You could be eating too much or too little or not getting all the nutrition\exercise you need to get to your goal. If what you're doing is not working for a couple of months, you need to take a hard look and probably do something different!

.... I was down to eating no more then 500 calories daily......I was putting on weight every time I went back. including insulin resistant, 1 side thyroid dead from being destroyed the other side enlarged and put on thyroid med for 3 months prior to her sending me to WLS that I was prime candidate for this surgery. .......just wanted to share my experience I have lived on the medical issues of weight hanging on for dear life and increasing despite changing lifestyle diet I did 2 yrs ago ......

This is very interesting to me!

Even though you were eating no more than 500 calories per day, you were putting ON weight.

Then your endocrinologist sent you for WLS after getting your thyroid condition under control?

My question is, do you think your weight gain was JUST thyroid related? If so, why WLS considering you were managing calories to less than 500 per day?

If not, do you think the WLS has helped despite the thyroid issue?

Thanks! And continued success :)

Must say I have been asking myself this question...

I am 3 weeks post-op and haven't lost ANYTHING for 2 weeks! It's so frustrating!

I am someone who is very good at being honest with myself. In the past when I gained weight at weight watchers I immediately knew it was my fault... and didn't blame anything but myself. That being said.... this is the first time in my weight loss efforts history that I can say "I am doing everything by the book and it's not working!" I want to slap the law of physics because I'm counting my calories and they are far less than my body needs to even maintain! But alas... I believe in stalls... and I know my body is readjusting to this new lifestyle... and I hope to God the weight will start coming off again this week or may just cry! :unsure: