Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking for the first time! Tips?

My friend that had the surgery last year around this time said what helps her to drink a bit more is eating some peanuts! Or little pieces of bread that will help absorb the alcohol more than your tummy! I'll try this when I'm ready to my first drink :)

My friend that had the surgery last year around this time said what helps her to drink a bit more is eating some peanuts! Or little pieces of bread that will help absorb the alcohol more than your tummy! I'll try this when I'm ready to my first drink :)

Lol peanuts make me ruuuunnnn to the bathroom now but i had a quesadilla before i left so i think that helped a lot. Then we had food afterwards which helped absorb it

UPDATE I drank 5 bay breezes (which has always been my drink of choice) felt the first 1 a lottle bit but felt it after the second one. I guess i can still handle my alchol because i got to a happy loopy buzz but i remembered everything and felt in control of what i was doing. And sobered up in an hour to perfectly deive myself home.

Wait WHAT!?!?!

You had five drinks and drove an hour later? :faint:

Yeah i live like 10 minutes from where we were and was perfectly fine. I danced and pee'd it off. And we ate food afterwards so i was fine.

:thud:

UPDATE I drank 5 bay breezes (which has always been my drink of choice) felt the first 1 a lottle bit but felt it after the second one. I guess i can still handle my alchol because i got to a happy loopy buzz but i remembered everything and felt in control of what i was doing. And sobered up in an hour to perfectly deive myself home.

Wait WHAT!?!?!

Yeah i live like 10 minutes from where we were and was perfectly fine. I danced and pee'd it off. And we ate food afterwards so i was fine.

:thud:

Okay then?

Wait WHAT!?!?!

The only way your body can get rid of alcohol is through your liver. Dancing and peeing will not help your body metabolise alcohol. Only time. You were a massive danger to yourself and other road users.

Wait WHAT!?!?!

The only way your body can get rid of alcohol is through your liver. Dancing and peeing will not help your body metabolise alcohol. Only time. You were a massive danger to yourself and other road users.

I appreciate the consurn and i know how i felt and i know where your coming from. Thanks.

With respect, how we feel when we're drinking is not a good gauge for whether it's safe for us to drive. Or make some other decisions.

Please consider this, and note the 5/4 rule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_drinking

With respect, how we feel when we're drinking is not a good gauge for whether it's safe for us to drive. Or make some other decisions.

Please consider this, and note the 5/4 rule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_drinking

Yeah after the last comment i looked it up. I felt fine but didnt know i was still concidered intoxicated. I know know if i choose to drink again.

We all learn something new everyday.

I served on a jury for DUI. A lot of people have the misconception "I'm not drunk. I'm mentally clear. I can drive." But what the attorney stressed was the charge is driving under the INFLUENCE, not drunk. That means if you are impaired at all, it's not safe to drive. All you need is to be under the influence of alcohol to be arrested for DUI.

I personally cannot drink in good conscience 3 hours after one drink because since surgery, alcohol goes straight to my small intestine and I get buzzed very very fast. I had a pint of wine last weekend and I felt the buzz for at least 3 hours while walking around so I had my husband drive home.

By the way, the jury unanimously decided the defendant was guilty. Thankfully he didn't hurt anyone.

Thanks, @ for that story.

I sure don't mean to represent that I've never driven "impaired." It's the rare person who gets through life without having done that.

But over time I've certainly learned much--and continue to learn--about how my body responds to every substance I put into it: food, alcohol, OTC meds, Rx meds, all of the above. Certainly our driving is also impaired by too little sleep, too much stress, people distractions, electronic distractions, etc.

It's hard being perfect. But it's not hard to learn and improve. After all, that's what we're all here doing, eh?

I sure don't mean to represent that I've never driven "impaired." It's the rare person who gets through life without having done that.

But over time I've certainly learned much--and continue to learn--about how my body responds to every substance I put into it: food, alcohol, OTC meds, Rx meds, all of the above. Certainly our driving is also impaired by too little sleep, too much stress, people distractions, electronic distractions, etc.

It's hard being perfect. But it's not hard to learn and improve. After all, that's what we're all here doing, eh?

Amen! I felt like i was being attacked because obviously everyone is perfect but like you said everyones done it before and we all learn something new. Now i know one hour doesnt seem to be enough time to be sober.

:)

I think we were just a little worried about you.

But you sure have taken the "feedback" well. Respect! :)

:)

I think we were just a little worried about you.

But you sure have taken the "feedback" well. Respect! :)

Its just hard idk if anyone can relate (im sure) being so big you take the smallest of feedback or criticism to heart. So although ive lost weight im still very sensitive especially when i feel attacked.

I'm 4.5 months out and haven't had problems with drinking--I can have wine, beer, hard liquor. (Haven't had soda with a drink yet but ended up in a situation where I drank un-liquored soda and all was fine...just REALLY burpy!) While I do feel it a bit more than I did before, it's not an earth-shattering difference. I definitely wouldn't drive after having one drink now, personally; but I'm also not falling over myself or anything. :)

Amen! I felt like i was being attacked because obviously everyone is perfect but like you said everyones done it before and we all learn something new. Now i know one hour doesnt seem to be enough time to be sober.

I'm so glad you took the info like a mature adult. We all make mistakes and we all learn. Bravo for having courage to admit your mistake and for fronting up to it. Respect.