Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who was your surgeon?

Hi, I would very much like all of us to publish who your surgeon was and at what facility you received your sleeve? I would hope this information will be of importance for all the future visitors to the site in helping them make a decision and hoping to relieve some stress in picking a doctor. Please post your information.

I saw a similar post from 2010 and I thought some updated information would be good.

Dr.William Johnson, surgery done at Emory Johns Creek Hospital as outpatient. His in-house NUT is Tracy.

Surgery was May 15th, I am 13 days post-op.

I would HIGHLY recommend him. I had no gas, no nausea and have lost 52 pounds since my consult. 21 pounds since pre-op.

Hi, I had my surgery at NYU IN Manhattan, NY. Dr Bradley Schwack is very good , kind and caring.I live in Ulster County , NY but would never have surgery local. Has anyone else had surgery at NYU.

Dr. Thomas Clark with the Center for Weightloss Success in Newport News, Virginia.

Location was Sentara Careplex Hospital in Hampton, Virginia.

November 2014 was my first consult, I lost 8 pounds in my 6 months of nutritional training, surgery April 27th, 2015.

HIGHLY recommend, honestly caring and supportive staff at the hospital, and at Dr. Clark's Center, and the Center has a store with all the bariatric patient's needs, cheaper than GNC and without garbage with additives.

Dr. Nikolas Brown at Via Christi St. Francis in Wichita, Kansas. All pre-op classes were done through Via Christi weight management. The NUT there is Helen Ramsey.

Dr. Thomas Clark with the Center for Weightloss Success in Newport News, Virginia.

November 2014 was my first consult, I lost 8 pounds in my 6 months of nutritional training, surgery April 27th, 2015.

HIGHLY recommend, honestly caring and supportive staff at the hospital, and at Dr. Clark's Center, and the Center has a store with all the bariatric patient's needs, cheaper than GNC and without garbage with additives.

I am going to be sleeved in October by Dr. Clark. So glad to find someone in here who used him. ????

Edited by linzlou2000

I am going to be sleeved in October by Dr. Clark. So glad to find someone in here who used him. ????

Hi! Likewise. I haven't found anyone on this site even in this area haha. You're in great hands with Dr. Clark :)

I saw him last week. Now I just wait as I finish my 12 month insurance requirement. I'm all signed up with my intro class, pre-op appt, and surgery date.

How was your procedure and recovery??? Any tips?

That's great! And wow, 12 months?! What insurance do you have? I had to do the 6 months of nutritional training. I like that Dr. Clark doesn't put us on a pre-op liquid diet for weeks. Just the day before.

The procedure for me was quick and easy. It took him 45 minutes and that included taking a piece of fat off my liver to have tested (he does this for everyone to see if fatty liver has created issues) and my recovery was 2 hours and I got to go home after the leak test and I walked and peed. My surgery was at around 0930 and I was home by 6pm. The only post-op med I was put on was pepcid twice a day, I stopped taking my heavy painkillers 3 days post-op. He later strongly suggested Vitamin ADK for me from the store. I take a Multivitamin and hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins from Target everyday.

I'm sorry to say my recovery was actually abysmal. I was incredibly weak until about a month post-op when I could start eating. The carb withdraw gave me a terrible, constant headache and forgetfulness. It resolved when I could eat. I was ridiculously nauseous leaving the hospital through the next day when the gas dissolving caused bad pain. I spent the entire first night home throwing up blood, hating life, and making my boyfriend think I was dying lol.

I got a horrid rash on my torso around 3 weeks post-op that spread up the sides of my breasts, love handles, and interior of my flabby arms that both Dr. Clark and Dani, as well as my GP could not guess. I still have leftover scarring from it that is gradually fading. Dr. Clark only used 4 holes and 2 incisions and they're healing nice. The product from the store was a god send during the liquid phase. Definitely helped with Protein intake.

Really when I say my experience was on the bad end of the spectrum, I'm not exaggerating. I'm not the usual example though - most people ease through recovery. Since then, Dr. Clark and all have been incredible at my post-op appointments. He answers any question for you, no matter how absurd you think it may be. He really wants us to succeed. WMU is helpful too, you get a binder to hold all your modules in at your initial WMU appointment after you're 1 month post-op.

My tips would be have a comfy pillow at home ready for you, and someone home to help the first night because going to the bathroom is like I imagine playing hopscotch while drunk, very hard to maneuver if you're on the pain meds and nauseous; bonus though, there was really not much tummy tenderness.

Last tip, it's hard to resist sometimes in the liquid stage and pureed from eating real food. Don't do it. I have an acquaintance that had the surgery a week before me and she started eating and drinking alcohol VERY soon after. She has lost maybe 20 pounds at the most, since and she is heavier than me starting weight. I got my surgery April 27.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'll answer anything you want to know.

Edited by LadyRouge

That's great! And wow, 12 months?! What insurance do you have? I had to do the 6 months of nutritional training. I like that Dr. Clark doesn't put us on a pre-op liquid diet for weeks. Just the day before.

The procedure for me was quick and easy. It took him 45 minutes and that included taking a piece of fat off my liver to have tested (he does this for everyone to see if fatty liver has created issues) and my recovery was 2 hours and I got to go home after the leak test and I walked and peed. My surgery was at around 0930 and I was home by 6pm. The only post-op med I was put on was pepcid twice a day, I stopped taking my heavy painkillers 3 days post-op. He later strongly suggested Vitamin ADK for me from the store. I take a Multivitamin and hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins from Target everyday.

I'm sorry to say my recovery was actually abysmal. I was incredibly weak until about a month post-op when I could start eating. The carb withdraw gave me a terrible, constant headache and forgetfulness. It resolved when I could eat. I was ridiculously nauseous leaving the hospital through the next day when the gas dissolving caused bad pain. I spent the entire first night home throwing up blood, hating life, and making my boyfriend think I was dying lol.

I got a horrid rash on my torso around 3 weeks post-op that spread up the sides of my breasts, love handles, and interior of my flabby arms that both Dr. Clark and Dani, as well as my GP could not guess. I still have leftover scarring from it that is gradually fading. Dr. Clark only used 4 holes and 2 incisions and they're healing nice. The product from the store was a god send during the liquid phase. Definitely helped with Protein intake.

Really when I say my experience was on the bad end of the spectrum, I'm not exaggerating. I'm not the usual example though - most people ease through recovery. Since then, Dr. Clark and all have been incredible at my post-op appointments. He answers any question for you, no matter how absurd you think it may be. He really wants us to succeed. WMU is helpful too, you get a binder to hold all your modules in at your initial WMU appointment after you're 1 month post-op.

My tips would be have a comfy pillow at home ready for you, and someone home to help the first night because going to the bathroom is like I imagine playing hopscotch while drunk, very hard to maneuver if you're on the pain meds and nauseous; bonus though, there was really not much tummy tenderness.

Last tip, it's hard to resist sometimes in the liquid stage and pureed from eating real food. Don't do it. I have an acquaintance that had the surgery a week before me and she started eating and drinking alcohol VERY soon after. She has lost maybe 20 pounds at the most, since and she is heavier than me starting weight. I got my surgery April 27.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'll answer anything you want to know.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm sorry your recovery wasn't smooth. I saw Dr. Hall yesterday. When expressing my knowledge of complications, she agreed they are very rare. However, they are real! I figured I will hate my decision for a few weeks! Now that all of that is behind you, are you feeling good? No regrets?

I have BCBS Cova Care. 12 months stinks!!!!! I've almost made it through though. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'm sorry your recovery wasn't smooth. I saw Dr. Hall yesterday. When expressing my knowledge of complications, she agreed they are very rare. However, they are real! I figured I will hate my decision for a few weeks! Now that all of that is behind you, are you feeling good? No regrets?

I have BCBS Cova Care. 12 months stinks!!!!! I've almost made it through though. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Of course! Happy to help. And thank you, I appreciate that. Who is Dr. Hall? For me, I have absolutely never regretted the decision to have this surgery. No matter how horrible my recovery was, I only hated the experience, not regretted it. I feel fantastic. I have crooked hips and a "military neck" with straight vertebrae, and with the increased weight on my frame it was incredibly painful for me to even stand for 5 minutes. Now that I am down about 50 pounds, I don't notice back ache until hours on my feet. I feel so fantastic. I was able to go to Disneyland last week and I didn't have to worry about fitting in the narrow lines, seats, and I walked for hours. Now I can finally go parasailing next time I cruise with my boyfriend without my weight making us too heavy for the excursion.

I'm so happy for you! The excitement is great leading up, and once the weight starts pouring off, it's enough to make you SO happy with the changes. Mentally, I was ready for this; so I haven't struggled that way like some do with the way they look versus how they see themselves. Definitely be ready for that.

Of course! Happy to help. And thank you, I appreciate that. Who is Dr. Hall? For me, I have absolutely never regretted the decision to have this surgery. No matter how horrible my recovery was, I only hated the experience, not regretted it. I feel fantastic. I have crooked hips and a "military neck" with straight vertebrae, and with the increased weight on my frame it was incredibly painful for me to even stand for 5 minutes. Now that I am down about 50 pounds, I don't notice back ache until hours on my feet. I feel so fantastic. I was able to go to Disneyland last week and I didn't have to worry about fitting in the narrow lines, seats, and I walked for hours. Now I can finally go parasailing next time I cruise with my boyfriend without my weight making us too heavy for the excursion.

I'm so happy for you! The excitement is great leading up, and once the weight starts pouring off, it's enough to make you SO happy with the changes. Mentally, I was ready for this; so I haven't struggled that way like some do with the way they look versus how they see themselves. Definitely be ready for that.

Dr. Hall was the doctor that cleared me for mental health. So glad you are feeling good and the rough part of recovery is a distance memory!

Edited by linzlou2000

OH that's right! I can't believe I forgot about her. We spent a majority of my appointment talking about her experience haha. She's great. I wish you the best of luck! I'm so excited for you

I'm on month #6 with Dr. Clark's office. They answer all the questions I have which are many. I'm looking at January for my surgery date. I needed this. The 12 hour shifts and weight and chronic illnesses are making life hard. I'll be happy to work hard sans the pain and pills and shots... Thanks for posting.