Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your past slob memory

Hullo!! Can we show the psychiatric community this thread? When my therapist tells me that food is not technically an addiction, I want to scream. Who does these things except people who are addicted? Old food, bad food, too much food. If you substitute any other substance for food in these posts, it would look like any other addiction be it alcohol or drugs or anything.

My therapist says it's not an addiction because it doesn't change the brain. I call bulls**t on that. I know my brain lights up like the Empire State Building when I see Pasta. Hell...it happened last night. We ordered Italian in and I was cleaning up the leftovers last night and all I wanted to do was eat that cold dry spaghetti. Don't tell me this is not an addiction. I know that Pasta is my heroin and no one can tell me different.

For a while, friday night was pizza night for our family.....

I would eat an entire Large pizza with the works in one sitting, plus a salad, plus soda.

Later that night I was in the fridge making a sandwich or something before bed....

NOW, thanks to the band, I have a hard time eating one slice...so I don't even try anymore, and eventually I have no interest in ever eating pizza again....THAT's behavior (and lifestyle) modification! That's what the Band has done for me....and not just with pizza.

Also, I was one that would finish what was on my plate, and then finish what everyone else could not..."You going to finish that?".....

That was so bad on so many different levels....if I had to sit with someone who had that behavior today, I would find it absolutely disgusting and repulsive....yet there I was....I'm embarrassed thinking about it, and who I did it in front of.....

Glad all that is behind me for good!

BTW...It's impossible to eat a sandwich anymore either....

Going to McDonald's getting the buy one get one free Bic Mac lg. fries lg. coke an apple also buy one get one free and then ordering 2 more Big Macs. Ugh!

One of my weaknesses used to be the Little Debbie Swiss Rolls, and you could buy them in a box of 12. My usual snack was to polish off an entire box in one sitting, usually about 6 minutes!!!

Damn that Little Debbie--for me, it's her Nutty Bars. Those things are like crack to me. I could polish off a box of those without blinking.

I was living in north Carolina. It was midnight and I wanted chocolate. I didn't keep it in the house and I didn't have a car and the nearest store was 4 miles away. Safe, right? WRONG!!!! I walked 4 miles to the store the whole time thinking by the time I got there I wouldn't want it anymore. Oh no not the case at all. I got there and bought 3 king size candy bars. You know cus I couldn't decide which one sounded best. I ate all 3 on the way home so that there was no evidence of having them at all...... Ashamed and embarrassed!!!!

Hullo!! Can we show the psychiatric community this thread? When my therapist tells me that food is not technically an addiction, I want to scream. Who does these things except people who are addicted? Old food, bad food, too much food. If you substitute any other substance for food in these posts, it would look like any other addiction be it alcohol or drugs or anything.

My therapist says it's not an addiction because it doesn't change the brain. I call bulls**t on that. I know my brain lights up like the Empire State Building when I see Pasta. Hell...it happened last night. We ordered Italian in and I was cleaning up the leftovers last night and all I wanted to do was eat that cold dry spaghetti. Don't tell me this is not an addiction. I know that Pasta is my heroin and no one can tell me different.

Show this article from the NY TImes to your therapist:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html?_r=0&referrer=

I have sat alone at night in front of the tv and ate a gallon of ice cream.. I ate until my tongue was actually frozen. then I would hide the container in the outside garbage so my husband wouldn't see it. I would fall into bed in a coma and was almost lethargic the next day. That kind of slobbery is what made me decide to have my lapband surgery.

I used to binge a lot when I was upset about stuff. Never realized that's what I was doing, it just didn't sink in until I couldn't do it anymore. Fast food was a big one, sometimes I'd hit multiple restaurants right in a row, park as far as possible from anyone else, and just cram it in as fast as I could. I was always the girl who brought people birthday cakes, etc, and one time I brought a birthday cake for someone who took the day off at the last minute. I got caught eating it with my fingers in the parking lot. Thank goodness the guy who caught me was a chubby chaser and thought it was cute, I only had to put up with some extra sort of positive attention instead of him running around telling everyone how gross I was.

Lord have mercy, it'd take less words to tell you when I wasn't slobbish in the last 42 years. ;-D

Edited by goodnuff

Although I have had more slob moments than I would like to admit, my most recent (and the one that lead me down the WLS path) was an entire box of family size Kraft Mac and Cheese! I ate it in one sitting!

Oh and the Little Debbie Nutty Bars...but imagine dipping them in a jar of peanut butter!

I had so many slob-eating moments, it would be hard to pick just one... Sweets were never my downfall, but some typical dinners for me (always when my hubby wasn't home to watch me eat all of this of course):

-A whole frozen pizza, plus a half dozen or so of the boneless bbq wings from Wal-Mart's deli

-Two huge tuna melts, plus about a half a bag of frozen french fries, which I of course topped with cheese and bacon.

-A whole box of Kraft macaroni and cheese

-A huge burrito, plus chips and guacamole

After eating any of these, I would have felt disgustingly full for a few hours, but then probably have been looking for a midnight snack later!

By comparison, my dinner tonight that I just finished was a half portion of a soba noodle bowl with grilled chicken on it. I feel full and satisfied, and the thought of eating any of the above makes me want to vomit. What a difference a year makes!

My annual Thanksgiving ritual was to cook the turkey the night before, and then when nobody was looking, eat all of the crispy turkey skin. Off of a 20 pound bird. Every year.

Ah, the good old days.

I would order two value meals at fast food places but change the soda so it was like I was ordering for two people. And then I'd go to Dairy Queen and get two blizzards... Like daily. Or I'd polish off a box of snack cakes or two boxes of Kraft mac and cheese or a couple bags of chips, couple grilled cheeses...

I was a world class binge eater and was awful. I had the lap band during all this so you can absolutely eat around any WLS took. I never, ever wanna be that person again.

Edited by goregalore

It's time for a new therapist! One that doesn't believe that your problems/issue are real will never be able to help you.

If you think that's bad one day when I was young I was invited over to dinner by a relative it was an all you can eat buffet I filled up my plate ten times I was full when I went home suddenly my family ordered my favourite pizza so I went and vomited just so I can eat pizza.