Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

From what I read OCC is the place where they put you in a hotel room after surgery? Do the have a nurse there with you during your several night stay?

They don't put you in a hotel right after surgery. You stay the night at the OCC after your surgery (nurses check on you throughout the night) then the next day, if you're doing well then you go to the hotel.

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz last August. I went alone and had a very positive experience. Not one time did I really even feel alone through the whole process. A couple of tips, though...

If you can, add the Google Translate app to your phone or Ipad. That was nice to have. I could communicate on a better level with the nurses. They understand basic care English, but there may be some things that need to be expressed that are not so basic. Also, Netflix. The television has a few English stations in the hospital and hotel, but not many.

You will need some cash, small bills like 5s or 1s to tip your driver and bell hop with.

Don't be shy! I made a few friends at the hospital and hotel that I'm still in contact with today. It's soooo nice to have friends who are traveling this road at the same place as me. We compare notes, chit chat and have gotten pretty close.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Not just from me, but this is what this forum is for. :-)

thank you for sharing this Im getting my vsg in 3 weeks and was wondering about the tips how much should I and yeah I'm going alone too im pretty nervous

Yes - thank you so much. The netflix and the translation app I would not have thought of.

Any sleevers heading down to TJ the second week of January?

Also, question to previous patients, what happens to your support person (spouse) while you are in the hosptial? Do they get to stay in the hospital with you or back to the hotel? Do you tip in USD or Pesos? Thanks! Let me know!

Well I'm a few days from my one year surgiversary. I have been maintaining goal for 4 or 5 months. My question now is, I need a boob job. Where is the place to go in Mexico for that? I know OCC has plastics now, but I don't know how long they have been doing it. I currently have implants, with one being noticeably larger than the other and after losing 82 lbs this last year, they are not sitting high enough. They need revamped. Suggestions on good surgeons in Mexico? Possibly Dallas or Austin even.

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply to this. I was out of town on vacation and not checking the forums regularly. I used Dr. Carmina Cardenas for my plastics in 2011 and I LOVE her. I will definitely be returning to her for more plastics, if necessary, after I reach my goal.

When I had plastics done in 2011, I had lost 90 pounds, I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift with implants, all-over liposuction, and fat grafting to my butt. Unfortunately, I regained 80 of the 90 pounds I lost, so if you look at my gallery pics, you'll see my amazing boobs and how flat my stomach still is, but the Lipo went to waste. I suspect that when I get to my goal weight, I am going to need to do something about my thighs, as I am likely going to have a lot of excess skin on both inner and outer thighs.

Edited by JamieLogical

@@looznsoozn I went alone, but I know there is a cot for the spouses to sleep on in the hospital.  Everyone tipped in American funds, I think I went threw $200 US in tipping money.

@ looznsoozn, we were provided with a second bed in my room for my mom to sleep in. Your person has the option to stay at the hotel but that is a separate charge and not included in the price of your package.

@ looznsoozn, we were provided with a second bed in my room for my mom to sleep in. Your person has the option to stay at the hotel but that is a separate charge and not included in the price of your package.

Just made it to the Marriott in Tijuana for surgery tomorrow.... Little nervous but overall doing great...

Can anyone tell me what time the shuttle picks up in the morning?

Thanks!

Best of luck to you @tangoswithsquirrels, I think I read om here that they pick up early in the morning at 6:30.

Edited by emmuje875

Just made it to the Marriott in Tijuana for surgery tomorrow.... Little nervous but overall doing great...

Thanks!

Good luck!!! :)

Edited by sprocket

Hi everyone!

Firstly, it has been so ridiculously helpful reading everyone's posts and advice! You've helped me come to my decision :)

I am getting sleeved next month but I am going against my family's thoughts and advice. Both of my parents are in the medical field and believe that the risks are far too great. I am a lower BMI patient (32) and they think that this is a rash decision.

We've discussed the issue over and over, but they cannot seem to understand my point of view.

I feel horrible going through with this surgery when I don't have my family's support. In my heart, I know it is the right thing to do (as cheesy as that sounds). Any advice? or reassurance ? :-) would be greatly appreicated -- feel free to PM