Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 year veteran RNY gastric bypass and failed but still have hope!

Hello, I am new to this site, but not to surgery as mine was in 2008. My highest weight at surgery was 250lbs. I initially lost 60 lbs in the first 2 months. However once I was anle to eat more foods etc I cheated alot and went back to my old ways. I now am at the weight of 230. Yep pretty close to pre op. I beat myself up about it, but I know it isn't too late.

I am trying to limit soda coffee drinks and Desserts. Does anyone have suggestions for yummy Desserts that are ok for us to eat? I love chocolate! I have bittled Water and bought sugar free kool aid packets u flavor Water with( too plan regular). And suggestions?

I have bad arthritis( bursitis in knees and ankylosing dpondylitis cervical spine) which limits exercise however I now swim 1-2 times a week trying to get somewhere.

Thank u all!

Kristen

Wondering what surgery you had because I cannot eat dessert except for one bite with other food or I get sick. I eat Yoplait Greek 100 and it feels like a dessert to me.

I am 2 years post-op on RNY. I asked the question to my nutritionist "Why do people lose a lot of weight after surgery only to gain it back?" She said it is because they graze (snack).

So I guess if I was going to give some advice to someone who is 7 years post-op, it would be 1) continue to follow the Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements of the program.

2) If you are going to graze, graze on Protein and fats. Fats have the ability to stop hunger. Stay away from carb Snacks. Also stay away from processed sugars. I use imitation sweeteners like Splenda, low calorie natural sugars like Stevia and natural sugars (fruits and milk). When it comes to Snacks I rely on Adkin's treats (sugar alcohol). I also make my own whipping cream using Splenda and place a heaping spoon of it on a cup of coffee each day. Its is a good way to add a little fat to my diet.

I have lost 110 pounds and my weight has been very stable. In meals, keep a good balance between protein, carbs and fats.

Thank you all for your advice and support!!! To answer a few questions.. I had RNY july of 2008. My surgeon was Dr. Raftopoulos out of CT. He has since left that hospital and country. His replacement is a surgeon I currently work as a nanny for! Talk about coincidence! He has encouraged me to return for follow up care. My surgeon had no bedside manner and berated me for gaining back weight. I stopped going for follow ups. I did have my pcp order some Vitamin levels fir me and all seemed ok. But

I plan to make an appt soon.

I am tired of feeling tired! I will be 40 this yr and feel like a 70 yr old! With my arthritis issues it is not comfortable to be active but I still try by swimming and walking. Working as a nanny fir 3 kids under 3 is stressful on my body but I love it!

I have gotten mad myself saying whats it gonna take to change my ways? Having my insides rearranged in high risk surgery wasn't enough??? I don't want to get sick and have no choice.

So here I am again making a plan shopping for better foods keeping a journal on fitness pal. It is so hard to not go to starbucks like usual and order a frappuccino! Seems easy but not so much! Little by little trying to sub bad foods for better and lower portions altogether. I eat now like i did pre op. I didn't think I could do this after surgery( one reason i made the drastic decision to go under the knife!) but.. Though i may have pain or feel very tired i still eat it ir drink it. Why?

Hoping someone can relate! I do take a Gummy Multivitamin and gummy B12 and just added Iron pill and citrical chewables . That is one thing i continued well the Vitamins.

If you love chocolate and can tolerate dairy - here is a pretty good snack. Take a small box of fat free/sugar free chocolate instant Jello pudding and make it per the instructions with 2 C. skim milk and add a scoop of whey Protein isolate. I like adding the Syntrax Cookies and Cream. Pour into 4 dessert dishes. Sometimes I even take a Protein Bar, divide it into 4, cut it into tiny bits and sprinkle on top. Great source of Protein and satisfies the sweet/chocolate craving.

Hello, I am new to this site, but not to surgery as mine was in 2008. My highest weight at surgery was 250lbs. I initially lost 60 lbs in the first 2 months. However once I was anle to eat more foods etc I cheated alot and went back to my old ways. I now am at the weight of 230. Yep pretty close to pre op. I beat myself up about it, but I know it isn't too late.

I am trying to limit soda coffee drinks and desserts. Does anyone have suggestions for yummy desserts that are ok for us to eat? I love chocolate! I have bittled Water and bought sugar free kool aid packets u flavor Water with( too plan regular). And suggestions?

I have bad arthritis( bursitis in knees and ankylosing dpondylitis cervical spine) which limits exercise however I now swim 1-2 times a week trying to get somewhere.

Thank u all!

Kristen

My boss who is now the surgeon who replaced my surgeon has discussed my weight loss issues with me. He mentioned that he would oversee many of my surgeons procedures and while he was a talented surgeon, he did one thing differently. He would make the pouch a bit bigger. He had said this was done in order to reduce complications. By doing this however it allows more food to be stored and therefore less restrictive.

Of course the fact I have regained etc is my fault. However this method didn't do me any favors. It reduces dumping syndrome. I asked my boss if i would be a candidate for revision but he said he doubted that would be necessary and said if I started taking an apoetite suppresant it might help. Hmmm

Did you ever address the reasons you became overweight in the first place? I'm not talking about just the grazing, although that sounds like a big problem itself. I mean emotional reasons. Most (not all) overweight people use food in some way as a comfort, or to avoid feeling negative emotions like sadness, anger, etc. Most of us may not even be aware of it since we've been doing it SO long, often since early childhood, even if the weight didn't pile on until later. I would highly recommend finding a therapist if you haven't, and do some work on this as well as working on your actual eating habits. You can do this!

Oh, a book that helped me a lot was Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth.

Hey welcome to the site,- It's a great place to pick up ideas and encouragement. Arthritis (I'm assuming osteo) is an inflammatory condition and can be exacerbated by inflammatory foods. Good thing you are motivated to change your diet. I have a degenerative arthritic condition, it got better with weight loss but sticking to a low carb, low sugar diet helps tremendously. I can nite walk down stairs easily one at a find time without turning sideways and taking them one by one. Good Luck to you, hope you get to the appointment soon.

If you want there is a Facebook group with lots of Bariatric recipes that might help you make better choices. It's called Rock's Kitchen find it and ask to be included and I have found lots of very good recipe choices. Best of luck. Brian

Hi. Just read your post. I had RNY 2003. Started at 241 lbs. and got down to 133 within 18 mths. YAAYY!! Put by 66 lbs. HATED myself. But I'd been through too much (pd. cash, too!); too much money, effort, miles walked, lifted a ton of weights, swam till my skin was puckered. I screwed up my courage and went back to Dr. Yes, he let me try diet pills. No big help. Yes, I'm a grazer. But I wasn't ready to give up. Had UGI, endo. and found pouch and anastomosis was stretched; my fault. Still, he was willing to do a revision. Paid cash again; most insurance won't cover a revision. Am down to 150 +/- 10 lbs. I've learned to be happy with that. Still overeat; still graze; still have wrong foods but in smaller amounts. Get an opinion from another Dr; one you don't work for. Don't give up. You've invested too much. Good luck.

My doctor suggested one square of the darkest chocolate I could find. It is so bitter that you don't want to eat more than a little, but it gives you the chocolate you crave. Also I was told to mix the sugar free pudding powder with a quart of high Protein low fat plain yogurt. Then you can add some berries and some high protein Cereal ( like protein Special K) for texture on top. I was unable to finish the 1 cup serving. I also have gained 70% of the wright back. :(

I'm a newbie and I realize now that food is not for the enjoyment for me but just fuel for our bodies.. Bad fuel bad functioning.

I looovvvveeee Coolatas but I know what I love is no good for me. I almost hate food because it's brought me nothing but trouble. I eat to give my body what it needs not what it wants... Period.

I have 3 kids 21, 10 & 8 and they have brought what they've learned in school home regarding healthy eating..I just have to support it!

I loooovvveee potato chips! I can have bags for dinner and a glass or two of wine. I can't buy chips for them or me .. I will eat them sleeve bypass or not!

This weight loss thing is about power of the mind.. My will does me no good so I let my higher power will be done- even if it's my sleeve