Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What We Don't Want To Hear

There a lot I agree with on the OP and quite a bit that I don't. My thoughts:

It won’t last without change

I absolutely agree with that statement, however, a blanket ban on bread, rice, etc. makes no sense to me. I think it important to eat foods that are healthy and that taste good. If a food is a trigger for the person, than by all means, ban it! If not, than why be so extreme?

The first hundred pounds is the surgery

That statement is just wrong. I am now at 85 lbs down. The first month after surgery I lost 21 lbs and that I can agree with was the surgery. After that, not so much...

No one fights for broccoli carbs!

No comment :)

Step away from the bagel!

There is a prevailing theme that carbs like Bagels, rice, and Pasta are terrible and may turn you into a junk food craving junkie... I am sure that for a number of people that is true. For me, french bread is a trigger and makes me hungry-- so I don't eat it. Bagels, rice, and Pasta do not have that effect and i eat them in small quantities and once in a while so I don't sabotage my Protein goals.

I think each person needs to do a serious self evaluation to determine what their triggers are not just label things "forbidden" because they are in the carb family.

Bariatric Surgery IS the easy way out

Don't even get me started on that one!

@@MichiganChic I am one of those who say I will never "diet." Why? Because I connect diet with deprivation, foods I don't like, and failure. I have never had long term success on a diet. My thin friends don't usually diet so neither am I!

That being said, I have definitely changed my lifestyle and I am happy doing it! For example, I have a friend that i rarely see and every time we go out we always share a Tiramisu for dessert. We met in April and had a lovely dinner (most of which I brought home) followed by our shared dessert. Now if I had been on a diet I would have said no and would have felt bad that I was missing out on a tradition that I really enjoyed. Instead, we chatted about how amazing the dessert looked and I took a one bite taste which I really enjoyed. I told my friend i was full (which I was) so he could get extra.

Bottom line: I eat less quantity and better quality food now than I usually did on any "diet." I am sure there are folks who don't mind that word-- but for me it is like any of the other 4 letter words that I don't use :)

Edited by samuelsmom

I am one of those who say I will never "diet." Why? Because I connect diet with deprivation, foods I don't like, and failure. I have never had long term success on a diet. My thin friends don't usually diet so neither am I!

That being said, I have definitely changed my lifestyle and I am happy doing it! Bottom line: I each less quantity and better quality food now than I usually did on any "diet." I am sure there are folks who don't mind that word-- but for me it is like any of the other 4 letter words that I don't use :)

Absolutely, my feelings as well. I have made a complete lifestyle change. I plan out meals and if I choose to eat something that is highter than my fat/carb goals I make sure I drink all my Water and get my Protein in for the day. I know that I will need to workout a little harder. But for me deprevision is a sure way to binge and closet eating. I will not go back to that. On memorial day I took one bite of apple pie off my husband's plate, because I wanted a taste. I was good after that. My program allows toast and when I choose to have it I usually have just a half slice with my tuna fish or eggs. It satisfies the desire and fits within my goals.

Surgery is a tool that I respect and am grateful for, but I don't consider it a sentence to not enjoying a variety of foods in proper portion and within my goals.

I love it!!! It's the truth in the raw and not sugar coated for those who just can't handle the truth!!!

In the legendary line of one favorite actors, Jack Nicholson..."You Can't Handle The Truth"!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

By the way, what is the name of the support group on Facebook? !

For me personally...once I took my ego out of the picture and reread the article, I agree with it in its entirety. The first time I read it, i was a little perturbed by the 100 lbs being solely attributed to WLS. I lost 60 pounds prior to surgery by following the bariatric diet. Then I reread the article and inferred that the author isn't talking about what we lost prior to surgery. He or she is talking about what we do AFTER surgery.

Personally, I know that I am no different from anyone else. I know that if I go off my plan, eat whatever I want, exercise when/if I want to...I will gain all the weight back and then some. And I've worked too hard to let that happen. This article helped me FOCUS and stop making excuses.

I love it!!! It's the truth in the raw and not sugar coated for those who just can't handle the truth!!!

In the legendary line of one favorite actors, Jack Nicholson..."You Can't Handle The Truth"!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

By the way, what is the name of the support group on Facebook? !

I'm on the same page as you. I agree with the article. I have also read posts where people are trying to find the healthiest fast foods and my first thought was "that's insane".

I don't want to find the best substitute for cheesecake because then it won't be long before I'm having cheesecake.

As far as the first 100 pounds being the surgery... I first heard that from a nutritionist and then from a doctor. I plan to use that time to change my eating habits.

Look.... Let's all be honest with each other, nothing pisses off a heavy person more than telling us we can't eat. Or that what we are eating is bad. We have failed time and time and time again because we won't face the hard truth. And the truth is the way we eat sucks!!

I don't mind the hard truth. I would rather someone tell me like it is then to try and make me feel better when I screw up. I'm not saying I won't ever mess up. But I am saying that this article speaks the truth and I am going to do my utmost to conform to that way of thinking.

Thanks for the article! I thought it was great!

NobsVs,

I agree with you 100%, except I fight a lot of head hunger

I DO agree with the main message if even I DON'T agree with every assertion made.

the larger point, which matches my personal experience (I am 3.5 years post band to sleeve revision and maintaining) is that you WILL regain if you don't make fundamental shifts in the way you eat. For some people, it will also contribute to not losing their desired amount of excess weight.

There are people who advocate anything you like, any time and rely on the restriction to keep your portions small. That works the first 6 months, heck maybe even the first 2 years for some people. Across the board, when people hit the 3-4-5 years out ... things really change. If you have any doubts about that, read some posts in the veterans forum...

So, I do sometimes have a sandwich with bread... but rarely. My daily life is a moderate carb diet with most of those carbs coming from vegetables (and lets be honest, a glass of wine here and there). My daily plate is very reflective of a bariatric diet even now 3.5 years post op. When I get cocky and veer from that, i gain weight in a heartbeat.

This probably sounds like splitting hairs, but in my mind doing something like substituting a vegetable for Pasta noodles is an outstanding "lifestyle change" example. Adding Protein powder to cheesecake might not be an ideal example because what you risk is having something that has all the bad (sugars, fats, possible overeating triggers etc) and is simply made less tasty by adding the Protein Powder. When I have a dessert, I want it to be delish... and I have a very small portion. If it is isn't off the hook wonderful, I don't eat it. If I do eat it, i enjoy it.

So, I DO deprive myself in the sense that i don't consume every random item my brains says "that looks good" - I stay away from snack aisle in grocery. If an old favorite "calls me" I ask myself if i really want it... most of the time it is no.

However, I also think that consuming food is one of life's pleasures and I am not going to view it as a forced misery march for the rest of my life. Luckily, I LOVE seafood, fish, chicken, beef and vegetables! I also love many carby foods like bread, potatos etc but that family of food is an overeating trigger for me so I consider them "treats" rather than daily staples.

pizza is another great example - it can be made healthy but at the stage I am at, I can eat more quantity then is ideal for me... so I always regret it when I start down the pizza path... I don't abstain completely, but it is an example of a food i probably SHOULD abstain from since it tends to cause me to overeat. That might not be true for everyone, but I suspect it is true for many.

I also suspect that those of us with a more advanced "disease of obesity" when we started this whole bariatric deal might be more prone to sensitivity to trigger foods. I do not know if that is true, but my own body changed alot the last 15 years or so I spend morbidly obese.

2cents here.

I am very conscious of "tone" when writing and speaking.

I sometimes struggle with what I really want to say, with what is actually going to be productive. And there are times when I lose my patience and don't give a sh** how it sounds.

With that said, there is likely some good information in the article, but the tone is abrupt and for those that don't like "the cold hard truth" or more likely, the way a message is delivered, then you just stop reading or discount everything the author writes.

Edited by no onions

"Did you ever meet an obese vegetarian and wonder ‘HUH?’… how’d they get obese if they are vegetarian? Same deal… its not the vegetables, its the other stuff… the carbs… the potatoes, bread, macaroni, rice, tortillas and sugar!" Quote from ProjectMe.

I don't know who originally wrote this but vegetarians eat carbs and potatoes and bread and Pasta and sugar. What they don't eat is meat.

Listen to your dietitian. They know what they are talking about

This original post is one, no, IS my all time favorite. I will be reading it again, along with everyone's replies. We are all different , but this article speaks right to me. Thank you for posting!!!

Cowgirl,

I made a cauliflower crust pizza the other day. Sensationally delectable. 230 cal in one have 10 inch pie

I really need to get creative like that.