Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to start solids

I am able to start solids on Monday. I am nervous because I have not eaten any solids since April 6th. I have lost almost 40 pounds. I am loving the way I feel and I am so afraid to start my old habits. I know Protein first, but it's still scary. Did anyone else feel this way? What did you start by eating? Thanks in advance!

When I got the "go ahead" for solids, I stopped by Wendy's on the way home from the bariatric clinic and got some chili with cheese. It took me four days to eat it, but it was lovely. I could pretty much tolerate anything that was cooked, moist, and soft. What I could not handle right away was tuna or any fish because of the flakiness. If I came across something that Miss Tummy disagreed with (like steamed cauliflower) I was ill for hours and just did not try that again for awhile.

Experiment on finding what is healthy, tasty, and friendly this soon. I had Tilapia with lemon pepper and fresh lemon. chicken thigh fajitas, Ground turkey with Pasta sauce, Scrambled egg w sausage, the options are limited by your imagination! Focus on healthy Protein rich foods and you will be fine... 2 oz is not much at this point.

I was terrified and eager at the same time. I had lost about 23 lbs when I started solids. Just be cognitive of the fact that you won't be able to eat much and chew very well. When you eat slow and chew everything to mush it's not too bad. I tried foods that were moist first. I know you don't want tuna but it slides down. eggs, grits, Soups, and chicken. I couldn't do breast because it was too dry at first. I can now. Good luck and venture out. I can't have bread. I learned after throwing it up a few times but I can have tortilla bread. Quesadias (sp?) were my thing for a while.

If you are afraid, don't do it. I didn't start solids until 12 weeks post op and it didn't go so well. I stuck with chicken and seafood salad, cheese, eggs, Beans, shaved deli meats, etc. until about 6 months post op.

No need to hurry if you are meeting your nutritional requirements or are close to it.

Those are all in my meals as solids for me!

I was also scared of sliding into bad habits, but so far so good. It really is a whole new way of eating. Follow the rules, and if you feel yourself getting lax on something like not chewing enough, reign it back in and make it a focus for a few days. The good thing is that the drive to eat to excess isn't there for me at this point. Once you get to eat solids, you will actually get a full feeling that becomes uncomfortable/painful if you don't stop. Go slow and listen to your body. I am more than 5 months out and I still weigh and measure my meals to help ensure that I don't go overboard. Sometimes I can't even finish what I weigh out, and I try not to force myself to finish the plate. Go at your own pace. Good luck :)

I was terrified and eager at the same time. I had lost about 23 lbs when I started solids. Just be cognitive of the fact that you won't be able to eat much and chew very well. When you eat slow and chew everything to mush it's not too bad. I tried foods that were moist first. I know you don't want tuna but it slides down. eggs, grits, Soups, and chicken. I couldn't do breast because it was too dry at first. I can now. Good luck and venture out. I can't have bread. I learned after throwing it up a few times but I can have tortilla bread. Quesadias (sp?) were my thing for a while.

GRITS??????

I was told that's a HUGE no-no!! They swell and expand in your new stomach and no nutritional value anyway. I was devastated hearing that but figured that being the only thing my pallet will never try again for the success of becoming smaller than I ever have been made it better

The key is to make sure its NOT SOLID BEFORE YOU SWALLOW - using small bites and chewing rigorously.

Make sure to start with only solids which are moist and flaky, those easiest to digest.

Stay away from high density foods, such as pork chops, steak, etc.

Also, take one bite of anything new and wait 10 minutes. Your sleeve and body will tell you if its ok (or not).

-RS-

I was TERRIFIED of solids. But it turned out well. I started with refried Beans, melted cheese, and poached eggs. I moved on to scrambled eggs. At 9 months out, I have a good idea what I do and don't tolerate well but my body continues to change and so do my experiences with food. I have no complaints. I am so thankful for this surgery. My fears were unfounded in my case and any negative issues have been tolerable... Certainly more so than my obesity. Try not to be apprehensive. Just go easy on yourself and don't push yourself too hard.