Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncertain futures

Thank you so much for the update. Do you remember the expression "keep on keeping on"? It seems all is well for now. You both are in my prayers daily. Much love coming your way.

@borg/assimilated@Inner Surfer Girl

Today is the one year anniversary of CanyonBoy's (my large golden retriever) passing...hard to get through the day. Then I see your responses. And see? Who says I'm strong? You all are so sweet, ...get me a tissue, please...

@borg/assimilated@Inner Surfer Girl

Today is the one year anniversary of CanyonBoy's (my large golden retriever) passing...hard to get through the day. Then I see your responses. And see? Who says I'm strong? You all are so sweet, ...get me a tissue, please...

Passing you a very nice, embroidered hanky and sending a virtual hug. They stand up much better than tissues.

@CanonBaby how is it going. Thinking of you. Prayers being offered up. xX

@@UK Cathy

Well, we got through the third chemo ok, with a little nasty day of nausea, to be expected. We really think the supplements he takes are helping abate the side effects...YAY!

Still no word on the PET scan, the oncologist said he is battling for it, and he claims the ethics of the person behind the denial is "questionable", so he is writing a formal letter to get another peer-to-peer consultation, with a different peer. The surgery is scheduled at this point in late August, after the six chemo treatments are completed. It seems to me if the insurance has approved the chemo, which they have, why they don't need a PET scan to verify WHERE the cancer is, and IF the chemo is needed at all. It is all being done "backwards", in my opinion.

But he has really good spirits, and is trying hard to keep up his nutritional needs (after I had 2 chemo nurses ream him for being lax in that department!). He hasn't lost any more weight, but hasn't regained, either. He eats all day long, focusing on Protein and fats!!!! Opposite what we on this site should be doing, at least the fatty stuff!

I'm tired. Have difficulty sleeping, get little of it. BUT, I don't work outside of the home, so I'm fortunate for that. I am able to take him where he needs to go, especially on chemo days and the bad days following. To all of his appointments, and to work, when necessary. But everything gets doe eventually, and we are in a peaceful state.

I plan to give a large party later this month or in early August for Dave, with our church attending as well as coworkers and friends/neighbors. A potluck, to keep the work to a minimum. We hope to have some of the folks form church play songs and have a "jam" session of sorts, bluegrass music for the most part. Games for all ages. I hope it cools down a little by then!

All of your prayers and concerns are much appreciated, and I KNOW the Good Lord hears them, and is answering them. I wish all of you could attend our party, it would be so much fun! I will have you here in spirit, at the minimum!

Have a wonderful week, all, and God Bless YOU!!!!

As we say in Minnesota, I'll be bringing a "hotdish" aka a casserole to the party (in spirit). You have a wonderful celebration! Still in my prayers daily and hope your sleeplessness improves.

@@CanyonBaby

I live east of St. Paul, in Afton, which is along the St. Croix River- almost to Wisconsin. Wow, I love you even more knowing you are from Ely, MN.

@@borg/assimilated

And you are in a truly lovely place... the St. Croix has always been a dreamy place! Spent many a picnic there in my childhood! Canoed it many a time, as well. Write anytime, Love to hear MN news!

@"CanonBaby"

How are things going, you are all still in my prayers

@@UK Cathy

Hi, Cathy! Well, today was chemo treatment #4, and went smoothly. He once again has the pump with him until he has it removed on Thursday afternoon. His surgery has been rescheduled for sometime in September, due to the fact the Avastin he is on during chemo has to be out of his system before the surgery, so they figure it will take 4-6 weeks for that. He will more than likely have the PET scan just before the surgery.

Dave's spirits are good, his bloodwork remains good, he is only slightly anemic, but better than he was initially. His side effects are minimal, although this session was the worst for the nausea. The staff tell us this should lessen as his body adjusts to the chemo. sleep is sporadic for both of us, but adequate. Just wish we could get some more. Dave's difficulty is mostly with the pack he carries around for 3 days. It is challenging while in bed. All in all, he is doing great! What a blessing, and that, I am CONVINCED, is from all the prayers you and all our friends/family are sending up to the Great Almighty!

We are also blessed by the fact it has cooled down (finally!) here, down into the 80's. That makes everyone's mood a lot happier! I hope you are having a wonderful summer, and thanks so much for your prayers and concern. I just love you all!

Another sad day for us, as we had to put to sleep two of our cats, one 19 and the other 16. It seems my life is centered around death as of late, we've lost so many pets (due to illnesses associated with old age), a total of 6 in the last year and a half. Plus my husband's cancer...it is still unbelievable I am even saying that word, let alone him having it.

He finished his 4th round of chemo this week, with stronger side effects this time. His nausea (and all the "joys" that go with it) is very much a part of his days now. Plus he is developing small sores on his face. His fatigue is the worst, as it affects his mood as well as his energy level. He sleeps through the 3 days of chemo, and it very slowly wears off until the next round. It's very hard to get things done, as he wants me to be with him as he rests on the couch.

It's also been very hard to get him to follow his plan of action: eating, hydrating, taking the endless amounts of supplements, and exercising. He is drooping before my eyes. The chemo takes away the appetite, and gives the body an early satiety. So he doesn't want to eat, and he is supposed to consume 103-130g of Protein a day. And we think it's hard to do the 60-80!!!

So I'm down to 4 pets, now: 2 dogs and 2 cats. And until the pups are 5 years old, we'll not add any more. Less work, yes, but those pets have become my kids. I miss them terribly, as each one has defined their personality for us. And each one has an important role to play in the household. My babies.

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders for awhile. It always helps me to chat with you. You, too, are in MY prayers...

God Bless, people.

@@CanyonBaby

Thank you for another update. Have not flagged in my prayers for you and your husband. Losing pets at this time is adding insult to injury as they say. Those pets are valuable members of the household, and I know you will miss them tremendously. Plus we all know how they bolster us up when we are sad or not feeling well. Well I guess it doesn't need to be said, but God loves you both. Sending Minnesota hugs to you.