Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncertain futures

@@CanyonBaby thinking about you praying for you owe you a note, extremely busy at work and stress eating -so mad at me but almost over, can't wait til next next week. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you both! D.

@@CanyonBaby -- You and your hubby stay in my thoughts and prayers.

(I imagine you understand the concept of "popcorn prayers.") :)

1 Thessalonians 5:17

@MrsSugarbabe@Swampdoggie

You guys are so awesome, you have no idea how you all bolster me so! I just try to keep so busy I don't think about things, you know? And yes, the popcorn prayers help pull me through, and today's devotional adds to that by reminding me to constantly be THANKFUL, no matter my circumstances. And thankful and grateful I am, in spite of what comes down the line, as I am learning to appreciate what and who I have so much more than I have in the past, even the more unpleasant aspects of each situation.

Each day is SOOOO valuable, each moment SOOOO precious. I don't know what the future holds, but if I look at each second of every day individually, it becomes more than just a second, but a LIFETIME! One that I treasure, even if it is filled with bad things, it is part of the tapestry of my LIFE!!! And all is interwoven to make one beautiful experience IF I choose to see it that way, AND I DO!!!

This is a good week, no chemo until next Tuesday, so we're getting a lot done, including some awesome Harley rides! It is supposed to get in the hundreds this week, so more indoor activities are the agenda. Keep cool, everyone, this too, shall pass!!!

I am praying daily for you and your husband as well, and always read your updates. You are a strong woman.

@CanyonBaby

Somehow I missed seeing this thread. I'm so sorry to hear this news.

You're so right -- every day is precious, no matter what it offers. We just forget, with all our living, that life isn't forever.

Last fall, 2 months after my VSG surgery, when hubby was diagnosed with Stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma, it took me a while to realize that it wasn't my job to heal him. It was my job to love him, care for him, and find joy in every day.

I re-learned how to breathe. Deeply, as it turns out. :)

Today, hubby is cancer-free. But we are no longer cancer virgins. We now know we are mortal. And it makes the living so much more precious.

Now, figure out how you're going to get some sleep. :)

Praying for your husband a complete recovery...

@@VSGAnn2014

I am sorry you have to be "experienced" in the world of cancer, BUT I am THRILLED that your husband is in remission!!!!!

That is our goal, as well. Obviously! The days can be challenging, and the nighttimes sometime even more so. For both he and I. Once he has the PET scan, that should help, for it is the unknowing of the extent of his cancer that is so worrisome. He should have the test next week, I hope. I will fight for it, one way or another. They haven't seen me mad, yet, and I don't envy those who will see it. I don't do "mad" well!

Yesterday's "play-day" was much-needed, and has given me some energy for awhile. I tried melatonin for sleep, and it didn't seem to phase me. I'll try it again another time. I don't like to take stuff for sleep, as I need to hear what is going on, especially Dave. But I get bits of sleep here and there, quickie-naps during the day when he is at work and the dogs outside.

I am maintaining!

I just bought a slushy maker that also makes shakes, and that is what he is craving...chocolate milkshakes. It makes a single serving for him, and he just stirs it until it is the consistency he likes. I hope he can get more calories in that way. I'm going to see if he can add Protein powder to it without it getting gross. He needs all he can get. He fights me sometimes on getting him to eat all he should (and drink, too). We have to get his body ready for the surgery and radiation that is to come. The healthier, the better! Was there any tricks you used to get more into your husband, and to help with weight gain? I think I'm going to gain weight just looking at all the fattening stuff he is supposed to eat!!! Quite a challenge keeping us both where we're supposed to be!

Any tips or tricks you guys used would be much appreciated, in getting Dave through this challenge, the more the better!

And again, thanks everyone for your continued prayers and support. With it we have EVERYTHING! Hugs to all!!!!

@@CanyonBaby

Somehow I missed seeing this thread. I'm so sorry to hear this news.

You're so right -- every day is precious, no matter what it offers. We just forget, with all our living, that life isn't forever.

Last fall, 2 months after my VSG surgery, when hubby was diagnosed with Stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma, it took me a while to realize that it wasn't my job to heal him. It was my job to love him, care for him, and find joy in every day.

I re-learned how to breathe. Deeply, as it turns out. :)

Today, hubby is cancer-free. But we are no longer cancer virgins. We now know we are mortal. And it makes the living so much more precious.

Now, figure out how you're going to get some sleep. :)

My mom's cancer taught me how to breathe too. @@CanyonBaby it sounds like you are taking good care of your hubby, and trying to take care of yourself too. Sending lots of prayer and positive energy your way.

OK, @@CanyonBaby ... one word ... Marinol.

It's an Rx (capsule) that contains the extract from marijuana that gives chemo patients the munchies. But it doesn't do anything to your perceptions or intoxicate you or sedate you in any way that marijuana does.

And yes, I got my retired cop hubby to take it. Marinol is AMAZINGLY effective in stimulating the appetite. If your oncologist doesn't mention it, ask for it. Friends (who've had cancer) told us about it.

And for sleep, Ativan (Lorazepam) is a very effective anti-nausea pill. You might recognize that drug name as a well known anti-anxiety medication. Hubby took it just before dinner every night. It relaxed him at night, and he slept like a baby. :) Of course, I dunno if your hubby could take it, but I'm just sharing what worked for us.

And as far as a sleep aid for me -- half a tab of Ambien (10 mg.) worked fine when I needed it. But like you, I was pretty zonked out after doing all my work and his errands and caring for him and taking him to medical appointments.

Surviving cancer through chemistry. :)

I am in awe of the strength of the women in this thread. Praying hard.

@@VSGAnn2014

Thanks for the advice! I was talking to Dave about your suggestions, and his main concern about the Marinol is him not being able to do his job. So we shall talk with the oncologist about it. As for the Lorazepam, he is already prescribed for that, and it does help the nausea. I will look into the Ambien for myself, for when I HAVE to get some sleep! Is it over the counter or prescription? And HEY! Chemistry is our FRIEND! At least in this respect!!!! Thank you again, and if you can think of any other ideas, I'd be most appreciative!

@@CanyonBaby ...

Ambien (zolpidem) is available only by an M.D.'s Rx script.

FYI, the current dosage thinking is that women (of any size) should take only half of a 10 mg. tablet.

Of course, physical exertion (through work or exercise) is one of the best ways to encourage our bodies to sleep.

Update for treatment 3....it went really well, Dave feels a lot better than for the previous 2 treatments, and he is carrying his pack around for the next 2 days. We found out he will have surgery around the end of August, after a couple of weeks off the chemo.

Dave's sister is visiting relatives in Bath, England this week, and has discovered that 2 of their relatives on their father's side had colon cancer! AHA! At last a link and the "bad luck" reasoning is not the lone duck here! Scary for the rest of the family, though.

The 3 reasons for the PET scan: To find out if the cancer is localized to the immediate tumor region in the colon. To find out if it has spread into the abdominal cavity. To find out if the cancer has spread to other areas of the body including but not limited to: lymph nodes, liver, brain, other organs... The oncologist is thoroughly disgusted with the insurance company representative who handles approval for these tests, and has requested another doctor with whom to confer. He has "plan B" ready to go, but won't tell us of it yet.

Dave's bloodwork comes back excellent, and the doctor is pleased how he is handling this situation both physically and mentally.

In the meantime, the chemo IS killing any and all cancer within, no matter where it may be located, so that is reassuring. We've found ourselves at peace about this, after much prayer. Something...has changed. I can't say what, but there is such a peace about all this now. While there is still frustration, we feel we're heading in the right direction, and the chemo should be doing what it is intended to do. We hopefully will hear about the PET scan soon, it should show where the cancers are, and if they have been killed. I have been "stuffing" Dave with all the supplements his dietician recommended, and I truly believe they are helping him to feel better this time through chemo. He actually has more to take than I do!!! I think I may take out stock on Vitamin companies!!!

Again, thank you for your prayers and concerns, I can't believe how many are behind us on all of this...THANK YOU!! And God Bless You All.....