Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncertain futures

I am so sorry to read your Husband's diagnosis. Praying for strength for both of you!

Dave had his first chemo treatment today, it took about 5 hours to complete. He then came home with a pump attached to his port, for 3 days of continuous chemotherapy. He will have the pump removed on Thursday, then have 11 days of recovery. He will go through this process for a total of 6 treatments (about 3 months), to shrink down his cancers. Then, upon proper shrinking, he will undergo surgery to remove the cancers. Then 3 more months of treatment. This is the plan.

We still haven't had approval from the insurance for the PET scan; apparently a SURGEON who has SEEN the cancers firsthand isn't convincing enough for them to approve the scan. They feel a CT scan has better "eyes" to see the cancers, even though it did NOT show the cancers. So we continue to battle for the PET scan, with ALL doctors involved writing letters for Dave. Regardless, Dave is getting the "full-bore" chemo treatment plan, on the assumption of the surgeon's observations.

He did really well with the treatment, with only a tiny amount of prickles when washing his hands with cold Water. No more of that! Only warm water for him, until this side effect diminishes! And this is the only side effect he has experienced. This may change, with the pump continually delivering treatment. He is at 100 percent energy, the c.diff. seems to be under control, and his spirits are high! Our oncologist is phenomenal, and is of high hopes, which is catching! Our motto: "with God, NOTHING is impossible"!

And of course, we could not proceed at all without all of your support and prayers! Thank you again! Until next time, Bless you all!!!!!

@@CanyonBaby you and Dave are so awesome, brave, inspirational. What a grace filled approach.

As you know, I have Lyme and reading about your issues with your insurance is so similar to the crap my insurance has pulled has got me all steamed and up in arms just reading your text. I do not get what in the world goes thru their minds! But I need to take a page from your book and trust it will work out

Stay your strong joyful selves. People like you make the world better just for being in it.

I am happy to hear that so far chemotherapy is tolerable and that Dave is doing well. But it really steams me that you have to waste your energy battling with your insurance company at this time. Those people have no shame.

I also want to say that your wisdom and positivity is inspirational. I don't think many people could handle what you are going through with such grace.

@@IcanMakeit

Thank you for your kind words and prayers, although I'm pretty sure my old cat would disagree! She got "in my face" this morning, and mamma wasn't so happy about it! I guess if pigs can fly, so can cats! Grace...not so much today! Today was difficult, at best, Dave is so very tired, mostly from emotional stress and the chemo. And I feel like a chicken running around with its head cut off...so much to do, only so much time and energy with which to do it. Priorities, I know, but when it all gets going so fast, sometimes I just want to jump off, but can't do that. God made that man for me, I must take care of him to the best of my abilities. On to making dinner! Thanks again.....

Canyon,

I surely am hoping for good results for your husband.

Please remember to take good care of yourself....truly..

Breathe deeply , drink lots of Water and try to squeeze in anything that

Moves your body.

Especially women caregivers... We often put ourselves last... You need to be well to keep hubby comfortable no matter what level of care he is in????

Thinking positive thoughts for your family

@@CanyonBaby

I think about you often, neighbor. Hang in there. You're a tough lady, and if anyone can do this, you can!

@@Julie norton

Thanks, Julie! Yes, I need definitely to drink more Water, I just forget in the hustle of everything. As for the moving around, GOSH! Am I moving now! Everything Dave used to do and now can't (as he has a port, he is extremely prone to infection) I am stuck with doing (cleaning litter boxes, taking out trash, mowing, gardening...), which I don't mind so much, but there are just so many hours in the day! So all his chores are added to mine, and I think I get a pretty good workout just doing chores! After the day is done, I'm exhausted, but sleep evades me. I'm running on empty in that department! Other than taking something to help me sleep, I don't know how to get more in. And I DON'T want to take anything, because I need to hear what's going on throughout the house (Dave's sleep apnea, pups getting into trouble, bad guys prowling around outside - we've had a rash of burglaries in our neighborhood -) just anything and everything to keep my mind racing, you know?

I guess exhaustion will just have to kick-in there. It'll catch me eventually. I've put up no-trespassing signs to hopefully keep the bad guys out, as well as a driveway alarm. So guess who trips that? YES, THE BLOODY DEER!!!!!!! And moose. Coyotes, rabbits, birds...I swear it's a conspiracy!!!! No sleep for Jen! I can just hear them chanting it.....Anyone for Barbeque?!

Jen, thinking of you and praying for you both. {{HUGS}} from over the pond. You are right with GOD in your life everything is possible.

I had an an amazing experience this weekend and I went yo see the Turin shroud. I really believe I saw the face of Jesus and I was overwhelmed and tearful.

My husband and I also met a lovely couple (mother and daughter) who are Muslim and who too had made a special visit to se the shroud. We were able to talk about the things we have in common with our religions. We actually bumped into each other 3 times over the weekend and we were not staying at the same hotel! GOD was certainly with us this weekend.

This follows on from an exhibition I recently attended in France where it emphasised what the 3 main religions (Christian, Jewish and Islam) have in common. For example I was astounded to find out that Mary (Mother of Jesus) is mentioned more in the Koran than in the Bible. As a RC I found this so astounding as personally I have a great devotion to Mary. It seems that Islam is reverent yo Mary as she is the mother of Jesus, whom they acknowledge as a Prophet ( as do the Jewish religion).

I hope no one is offended by my sharing these experiences.

@@UK Cathy

You are so sweet, thank you for your kind words! We have been so encouraged by all the wonderful folks responding to my post, I am so touched. With all the prayers from so many around the world, our support system is amazing! I know our good Lord hears all of our prayers, and loves us for our devotion and faith. His will is always the best way, although it is not always seen for that immediately!

Dave goes in for his second chemo treatment this Tuesday, we hope it will take less time, and will have even milder (if any!) side effects. We're still battling the insurance for the PET scan, I hope we can get that resolved this week. In the meantime, I am focusing on fattening (HA HA>>>here we are on a weightloss site!!!!) him up, as he has lost about 25lbs. He must regain some weight to stay strong to fight this terrible foe. I can stay strong with all of you rooting for us! Thank you again, and God Bless you!

@@CanyonBaby

I've been out of the loop over the past several weeks tying up loose ends after my father in law's death, and dealing with some behavior issues my mom is having due to her Alzheimer's but you and Dave have been in my thoughts.

I'm glad the chem has started and that Dave is tolerating it fairly well. Having you as his support person is a blessing. I hope you're at least trying to get enough sleep so that you don't get too exhausted and worn out. Like I said before....you'll be little or no good for Dave if you don't take care of you too.

From reading your updates I want you to know that I am in awe of your strength and positive outlook on things. I believe that's half the battle. You obviously are a very strong woman and there's a special place in heaven for people like you. Dave is a lucky man.

Continue to hold on to your faith, and know that you have tons of folks praying for you every day.

By the way..... to hell with the insurance companies....what do they know..... besides, it's not like they don't have enough money to cover your claims. You just keep doing what you're doing and the paperwork will all sort itself out. Just make sure Dave gets every test and every treatment he needs to have to fight this thing.

Hugs.

Deb

@@Dabliss111114

You are far too kind...if you would have seen me today deal with an unruly dog, you would shudder! He (dog) has been testing my dominance, and "momma" had to put her foot down! His being almost 100lbs deems it necessary for me to be "top dog"!!!!

Dave had his second chemo today, and once again, the pump was put on for him to carry with him for the next 3 days. It will come out on Thursday afternoon. He is doing a lot better than when he had the first round, I think the nerves have settled a bit, and as he gets used to what is happening and knows now what to expect, I think some of the side effects that have been suggested to him have been relegated as "suggestive", and that's all they are. You know, the power of suggestion. Suggest something and all of a sudden it is "real". Now he recognizes what is really affecting him, and what has just been suggested is not affecting him like he thought it might. Does that make any sense? It just has to sort itself out in his mind, what is real and what isn't. He is extremely practical, so it is sorting itself out with time.

HIs blood counts are good, and he isn't anemic. Still trying to get approval for the PET scan, no luck yet. I called the surgeon's office to try and get him on board, to try and get a peer-to-peer going, so I hope that will work. The oncologist did one, to no avail. So maybe if the guy who actually saw the cancers does it, maybe they will "get it". Regardless, we WILL have the scan, and then, if it is as bad as the surgeon thinks it is, I will see to it heads WILL roll!!!! Time is of the essence here, and "momma" is mad! I personally am hoping the surgeon was wrong, and there isn't any other cancer other than the

original tumor on the colon. And even then, I hope IT isn't cancerous, either! I have high hopes in my good Lord above, and know ANYTHING is possible with Him in charge!

Your prayers are all appreciated, and felt, and I truly believe they are the reason Dave is doing so well with all of the chemo. I cannot thank you all enough, but I thank God for each and everyone of you! God Bless......

You are an inspiration..... Don't let the dog out>>>> You know, like the song.. hang tough with the dog and the docs. You can do it!!!

@@gigito2

Thank you so much, if I could reach into this internet thing I would give each and every one of you a hug...you all keep my spirits high...thank you.....