Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 45 pounds in 5 months? ..anyone? Help please....

My Surgery was December 23, 2014. I lost 15 pounds by my 3 week visit and doc said I was ahead of schedule. Well since I've only lost another 30. I do know most times I don't eat enough.. I simply can't so I have started back to 1 Protein shake a day.

Also Doc told me at week 6 I can drink wine, and I've been drinking it ever since.Advice please.anyone experiencing this sloooooooowww pace?

I'm afraid doc will have a few choice words for me next month on my 6 moth visit....

I would cut out the wine for a week or 2 and see what happens.

Definitely focus on getting in all your Protein. What is your activity level like? I'd "only" lost 41.5 pounds at my 5 month mark, but I had a lower starting weight than you. Everyone loses at a different rate. Try not to compare yourself to others.

Losing is up to you but if your drinking wine every day then you should expect slow weight loss because wine is empty calories. Add up all the calories you drank from wine and divide by 3500 and that will give you how many more pounds you could've lost.

I have a slow weight loss also ..... feel like I have failed ... doc was expecting me to have lost more than I had on my last visit think my body has gone into a plateau..... onwards and upwards I just have to see where this journey takes me

Not enough Protein, too much wine/ empty calories, and probably not enough Water (see wine) is probably the answer to your "relatively" slow weight loss.

If you aren't happy with your progress, why not go back to basics and make an appointment with your NUT?

There is nothing more dangerous from a WLS perspecrive than drinking empty calories. Lay off the wine. Only drink it occasionally or for special occasions. Work on getting your Protein and veggies instead.

45 pounds is fine for 6 months, but if you want to speed things up you know what you need to do. I suggest you take full advantage of this honeymoon period of weight loss before it's over. We all only have such a relatively small window of time where we have so much restriction and reduced hunger, it's a shame to piss it away with poor choices.

My Dr. said no alcohol ever. As unreasonable as it sounds, it's to avoid drinking your calories and my Nutrition Class talked about cross-addiction with alcohol. The strict no-no's were no alcohol, gum and soda. Not fun but it's for a reason. They want us having Protein first, then veggies, fruit and if there's room for carbs they are last.

So are you suggesting drinking wine last? @auntim0502 ... Now @ actlinton16 I wonder what people would say was the problem if your post mentioned all the problems except the wine? People are quick to blame the alcohol. Are bodies are all different. You will figure it out. Hang in there your scale will start to move down again.

I've lost less than that in almost the same amount of time, you're fine.

My Dr. said no alcohol ever. As unreasonable as it sounds, it's to avoid drinking your calories and my Nutrition Class talked about cross-addiction with alcohol. The strict no-no's were no alcohol, gum and soda. Not fun but it's for a reason. They want us having Protein first, then veggies, fruit and if there's room for carbs they are last.

I don't really see why you can't have any alcohol ever, unless you know you are prone to addiction or something. I do agree that drinking it daily would be stupid, since it's empty calories. Soda has carbonation, which some believe can stretch the sleeve and I'm not willing to take that chance, so I avoid it 100% of the time. But I have had alcohol several times in the last 9 months. Maybe once a month or so once I was allowed. Just at social occasions and I'm very careful about it, because I have noticed I get drunk much faster post-sleeve, so absolutely NO driving the entire night, just to be on the safe side.

I'm generally opposed to drinking my calories, but I don't see the harm in drinking in moderation on occasion.

I don't really see why you can't have any alcohol ever, unless you know you are prone to addiction or something. I do agree that drinking it daily would be stupid, since it's empty calories. Soda has carbonation, which some believe can stretch the sleeve and I'm not willing to take that chance, so I avoid it 100% of the time. But I have had alcohol several times in the last 9 months. Maybe once a month or so once I was allowed. Just at social occasions and I'm very careful about it, because I have noticed I get drunk much faster post-sleeve, so absolutely NO driving the entire night, just to be on the safe side.

I'm generally opposed to drinking my calories, but I don't see the harm in drinking in moderation on occasion.

My program is very conservative and my team also said no alcohol ever. As already mentioned the cross addiction & empty calories being the main reasons. I hardly drank prior to surgery anyways so definitely not a sacrifice for me. Regarding the OP, if you were to honestly provide a journal of everything you are drinking & eating to your surgeon, what would he or she think?

It annoys me that some drs seem to have a set of expectations that put everyone in the same box. I think it puts extra stress on us to meet these expectations that may or may not be right for our very individual selves. So long as im losing I'm fine with me, even when its slow. Fortunately my Drs expectations are simply downward progress. I think it relieves a lot of pressure.

Why no gum?

It annoys me that some drs seem to have a set of expectations that put everyone in the same box. I think it puts extra stress on us to meet these expectations that may or may not be right for our very individual selves.

Thankyou for that. I was fairly pleased with my progress (35lbs in 12 weeks post op) until my 1st check up with a consultant . He talked to me like a naughty schoolboy and said he expected better, and thatother patients had lost far more by this stage. He mocked my surgeon (who allowed me to go sleeve instead of bypass - personal choice) and said he wanted to see me more often "to keep an eye on me". I was so demotivated and felt like that fo some time. I still haven't got past the "stall" that this coincided with

@@Lester Burnham yes that's exactly my issue. Their opinion can set us back, take us from feeling good to feeling like a loser, and its wrong. I see it frequently on this forum and wonder how those drs keep patients. All loss is good and slow has inherent advantages anyway.

There's my 2 cents.