Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Share your rants about the fashion industry!

V neck tees that are too deep to be work-appropriate.

Whatever size I currently need is the one that they don't have any more of.

Plus size catalogs and web sites that don't have models who are plus-size. I know that most plus-size models are like size 10, but some websites show their clothes on someone who is size 2. Not gonna look like that on me.

I always hated buying tanks at 45.00 a piece only to have them fade after 1 or 2 washes.

I really hated when you would buy a top, wash it and it would seem to get wider and shorter.

What the heck is that!

yes - they use cheap unshrunk cotton knits that shrink in length but not width. What I hate is how as sizes go up, they make the sleeves longer and longer and the shoulders huge, but can't seem to add enough length to cover my belly. Most of my weight is NOT in my shoulders and my arms certainly didn't get longer!

I've learned even when sewing my own shirts to prewash the fabric TWICE to get all the shrinkage out before cutting out the pattern.

Oh, and empire waists in dresses? The last time I wore one our priest congratulated us on our upcoming baby. Yep, last time I ever wore it. Ironically, the priest was even fatter than me (and sadly has passed away from diabetic complications now)

Edited by drmeow

When I was in plus sizes, everything was waaay too long. Why does the fashion industry think that bigger means taller? What I wouldn't have given to find plus size petites....

When I was in plus sizes, everything was waaay too long. Why does the fashion industry think that bigger means taller? What I wouldn't have given to find plus size petites....

I have the opposite problem. If a skirt fit my waist it was too short (because my weight is in my hips and butt). I finally gave up and had skirts made so they would be long enough.

My gripe has always been so many things are too short and tight and low cut (more for teenagers than for women).

How about the ads for plus size clothes featuring a skinny model????

Oh and what about the designs they put on plus sized models????

And....sleeveless tops!

Can't wait till this is something I no longer have to worry about!!!!

My gripe is shoes! Why do all the cute shoes have to have 3 1/2"-6" high? It makes it so hard those of us who want to look classy to do so. I try these types of shoes on and I feel like I'm going to tip over. Walking in them is a joke to me!! Just can't and won't subject myself to such pain!!

My gripe is jeans with bling and splash and stuff on the back patch pockets! My rear is large enough without dressing it up like a movie marquee!! I'm also 53 and those just look silly on me in most circumstances I'd wear nice jeans.

I also hate that SO many pants I try on have higher waists than mine. I know it's how I'm shaped, but at 5'4" I'm not THAT oddly proportioned I don't think.

And ditto that high heel gripe--dang!

Edited by katesuccess

@@Italian Gal You are so right. Somehow the industry doesn't use plus size gals like Klyker, but would instead just put on the smallest size on a slightly meaty gal. The US industry should seriously consider doing what they are starting to do in the EU, self regulate to use bigger models that aren't size 0 or face the possibility of the government (e.g. Italy) passing a law that forces them to use common sense. Maybe then fewer teenage girls will develop terrible eating disorders from the constant bombardment of unrealistic body image. Sorry if I made this rant a little too serious.

my gripes are the ridiculously high cost for decent clothes & black pants.. as a single mom, I live on a pretty tight budget.. I used to be able to find affordable clothes, but that seems to be unheard of now.. I'm a little bigger than the sizes carried at stores like walmart.. maybe it's just me, but I can't stand spending more than 20-25 on a nice blouse.. don't get me started on jeans! lol u know.. old navy had a petition against them for charging considerably higher prices for women's plus than for the big & tall men's..

black pants..... why is it that I can try on every color of one style & the black pair is always one or two sizes smaller? lol what's up with that??

What don’t I dislike about the fashion industry? That would be a little quicker…

But okay, a few of the problems I have:

• I would have a lot more options if I were taller. Sorry, I’m only 5’7.” Does that mean I don’t deserve to wear clothes that fit?
  • Sizes are inconsistent between brands. I have no idea how big or small something will be without trying it on, and I don’t like clothes shopping.
  • Shapes, and proportions…apparently mine aren’t the same as the clothes’.

Ditto on the clingy knits that only emphasize our problem spots.

Also, when will they realize that not every large woman is 6ft. tall and the same width from the shoulders all the way down to her knees? Large sized petites are nearly impossible to find, and if you do it's only in pants. I HATE tops that are always so long they look like a tunic instead of just a top.....especially when my butt is and always has been the widest part of my body, even when I wasn't heavy.

Clothes are designed to look good on clothes hangers and not real people. The expectation is that people will fit themselves to the clothes instead of clothes being made to fit people.

@@Alex Brecher oh how I hear your. I am only 5'6" and luckily my mom taught me to take hem, cause by the time I find something that fits me I have to either pay a tailor or special order it. So many of the loose fitting pants I have to buy end up looking like harem or balloon pants. Not a good look for short guys.

I worked retail for 26 years. I can't figure WHY they put PLUS Sizes on the second or third floor! Yeah, we all probably need the exercise. What we DON'T need to be so out of breath and sweaty that we can't try on clothes even if we wanted too.

I came to the conclusion that a bunch of stuffy male executives wearing $1000 suits came up with that one. :-(

@@LousPeachy LOL. That makes about as much sense as putting the handicap parking at the farthest end of the parking lot 'cause they need the exercise. I remember taking my mom shopping and the look of terror on her face as she attempted the escalators when the elevators were broken. Her Parkinson's made it difficult for her to walk let alone take an escalator to get to the women's section on the third floor. If women do most of the shopping then why do they make them work for it? Is it cause they think they'll pickup a toy for the child and underwear for the husband?