Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I joined this forum in December 2012, I was morbidly obese and in so much joint pain that I was probably only months away from being wheelchair bound. I was terrified of surgery and terrified of what lay ahead. I expected the lap band to fail as everything else had failed when it came to weight loss. But it was my only shot as I needed hip and knee surgery and no orthopedist would work on me at nearly 270 pounds and with a BMI over 50.

I decided my forum name would be gowalking because that was my wish..my desire, my hope. Walking, like breathing, is something we all take for granted till we can't do it. Then we realize how badly we are impacted when every step is torture.

Many of you know my story so I'll do a quick summary. I was banded on January 14th, 2013. I lost enough weight by June of 2013 to get my surgery scheduled. I had both hips replaced in October and after a long and difficult rehab, and another scary and unexpected surgery, I am finally as mobile as anyone else out there. No...I can't run and yes...I still have pain and issues but I no longer fear not being able to get to the grocery store, or running any kind of errand. If I can't catch a cab, I can walk. If there's a ton of traffic, I can walk down the steps to the subway and move around underground...which is sometimes the only way to get anywhere in New York City. That feeling of helplessness and panic is gone.

My knees are still with me. I am small enough now at 113 pounds that while I have bad arthritis in the knees, I can move them pretty darn good and have been able to delay knee replacement indefinitely for now.

So...here's the big news. For those folks who have travelled this journey with me on LapBandTalk and now BP, I always said that I wanted to visit England and see all the sights I've seen on TV since I was a teenager watching Upstairs/Downstairs which was the '70s version of Downton Abbey. I want to see it all from Buckingham Palace to Big Ben, to a boat ride on the Thames to a day in the English Countryside.

Friends...my trip is booked. I'm heading to London in July. I even booked a bike tour of Hyde Park, and St. James Park along with a walking tour of the East End and Whitechapel...where Jack the Ripper lurked. So I'm going to sit in coach on British Airways for 6+ hours and will be comfy because I fit. I'm going to walk and bike and explore and enjoy the city I've wanted to go to for nearly my whole life.

For anyone out there who is starting their weight loss journey or struggling with maintaining or in the midst of a stall or doing really well as I have been fortunate enough to be, just know that WLS has given me a second chance at life and I can't begin to explain how truly grateful I am. The numbers on the scale, the size of our jeans, all the goals big and small that we set for ourselves as we travel this road together makes me feel overwhelmed with good fortune. I've lost 150+ pounds and gained back my life. I think it was a pretty good deal, don't you?

One more thing....I can't thank all of you enough for being my support and strength these past two and a half years. I've made some wonderful friendships here and value each and every one of you. I did not do this alone and wanted to make sure to show you all my appreciation. I just wish some of the folks who helped me back in the beginning were still here to see this post and know how thrilled I am to finally say that I'm getting a big item on my bucket list checked off.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone and thanks for reading this long, but heartfelt post.

Congrats on your success and thanks for the inspiration.

Wow ! Great story, and you should be SO proud of yourself for everything you've accomplished !!! Yes , you had WLS but YOU'VE done all the hard work afterwards ! This trip sounds like a great "reward" for everything you've done for yourself and others on this forum. Have fun !!! ( and yes, I'm green with envy because I want to see England too !!)

Consider me packed into your suitcase!!!! Keep us posted as to your travels, I'll be there in my MIND! Great job on all your successes, you have a lot to be proud of!

Enjoy your trip!

WLS has given me a second chance at life and I can't begin to explain how truly grateful I am. feeling of helplessness and panic is gone.

@@gowalking

i've been watching B) you over the years

you've gone through so much :(

you didn't deserve the rough times you had with surgery et al :wacko: (nobody does)

you came through it like a trooper!!

you stayed strong

post lap band you feel as good as you look :)

look how far you have come!!! :rolleyes:

there will always be health issues, ie knees, arthritis etc :mellow:

many things have improved and you are a new great looking healthier, happier chic ;)

you have conquered so much!!!

you probably can now walk to the subway, while patting your head, rubbing your tummy, chewing gum at the same time :D

could you do that 2.5 years ago??? :lol:

I've "seen" less and less" of you these past 2.5+ year

150 lbs down - 2nd chance at life

what more could you ask for??

London in July, bike trip to follow at Hyde Park!!

many more adventures to follow

i am free in july,

i am small enough to fit in your suit case now

did you forget to invite me :blink: :lol:

success, success and more success to follow throughout the years

who deserves it more :)

keep up the amazing job

i know you will :)

you are aces!!!

kathy

congrats

Congratulations! This is so awesome to hear. Your enthusiasm is so encouraging. I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see pictures.

Mobility is one of the major reasons I had sleeve surgery and your post just gave me an extra dose of hope. Thank you!

You are my hero! You help me every day. I'm truly inspired by you and besides all that, you are unfailingly helpful and supportive to newbies and oldies alike.

You watched me travel to Italy as a new bander and now I get to watch you travel to England! Post often!!!

Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!!

Wow! What a fabulous story and so inspirational. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I am green with envy about your trip. I hope you have an incredible time!

So very happy for you!!

Have a bloody good time✈️.

So many sights. A great underground transit. (Walkable city w/ underground .) Cute cabs ...great architecture ..history abounds

YOU fitting in everywhere... That is the best????

I love your story! Thank you for this post. I hope your trip is amazing!

@gowalkering congratulations on your awesome accomplishment!!

Your trip sounds great and you will love London! It's wonderful to see other parts of the world! Enjoy your trip and please stay here to help us newbies to reach our goals :)

My son in law is from England. Although my daughter has been over there several times, her dad and I have yet to go to meet his family. I think that's on the agenda for next year.

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished! You should be proud :)