Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about time off from work

Hi Losers!!! I am tentatively scheduled for July 6th. I am taking the whole week off from work as vacation and then wondering will I need another week off (gastric bypass). At my company you must use 5 days vacation first before short term disability kicks in. Does bypass usally even count as medically necessary (vs. elective? I'm assuming it should since insurance would be covering it). SO my question is -- how long did you feel you needed off from work? I drive a car for a living (in and out all day on appointments). How did you feel during the post-op period? Will I have enough energy to do things like clean my closets and cabinets and do things around the house that I never seem to be able to get to? Or were you really wiped out and weak? I realize everyone is different but I am going with the thought that my surgery will be a success and complication-free. Thanks for any input and hope you all are feeling fabulous!

I had surgery on Thursday evening and I went back to work on Tuesday. I work an office job so it's not hard. One week later I was in the ER with dehydration and pneumonia In both lungs. I left the ER and went back to work the next day. I had a hard recovery due to the pneumonia and complete exhaustion. I made it to work but then went straight home to the couch. Had I not had the pneumonia I would have been fine but even with it and feeling completely miserable for 3 weeks post op, I still went back to work.

I had bypass 4/28. Planned on taking two weeks, I needed 3. First week I was useless. Second week I was marginally better, but still did not do an inch of house work. Third week I kept saying I'm so glad I took the third week, but was far more functional at home!!! I went back to work 5/18, and my stomach is still tender at spots. I'm careful with what house work I do because if it.

I made a point to deep clean my house pre surgery, so there was nothing to do once I was home.

I tok a week off. I work an office job. Mostly sitting. I was sore and driving across town wore me out. If you can take more than a week I would. My company is privately owned and we don't get much time off.

I took 3 weeks. I was useless the first and tired the next two but managed to get a few things done around the house.

I took two full weeks off of work. I had zero complications. I didn't have a lot of energy the first week. I didn't do anything around the house. I had help for that. I also don't remember driving at all.

All the best!!! :)

I planned on taking 2 weeks off, and if I didn't have complications that wound up keeping me out an additional 2 weeks, I'd have been fine with returning to work after 2 weeks. Of course I think it depends on the type of work you do. I'm at a desk all day, and sitting was a little uncomfortable at first. Getting in and out of cars can be uncomfortable for some. In my case, I wasn't able to get into my car until the 3 week mark I think without pain.

I got fatigued easily the first few days out of the hospital, but it didn't stop me from doing things around the house and going for walks outside.

Had my surgery on Wednesday, 4/29, and returned to work on Monday, 5/4. Only way I was able to swing this is I work from home, and was able to take LOTS of naps between my calls. Doctor told me 4-weeks is best, but allowed me to go back since my job is pretty easy/flexible. I made it through, but I could have easily taken another couple of weeks. Even today I struggle about every three days or so. I just feel like I need a nap. Doc tells me I'm eating too many carbs, which may be true. I and on the pureed food stage and it seams the only thing I can eat comfortable at this point is potatoes:/

Another thing I would caution you to watch out for is depression. I am typically a very upbeat guy, but I get pretty low when it seems I can't eat anything. This is getting better with time, and I suspect it's just adjusting from eating what I wanted-when I wanted, but if I didn't work from home this would have been much more difficult to live with.

Bottom line is I would recommend to take off as much time as you can, and let your body/mind adjust to the new lifestyle.

It's all worth it though - 5-weeks in and down 55 pounds!

Good luck!!!!