Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you have to cut ALL starches?

My insurance requires a 3-month medically supervised weight loss program. I started a couple of weeks ago. During my first week I had a small piece of cake one time and I had a hamburger and fries on a different day. I still was under 1500 calories both days, which is well under the 1800 calorie limit the nutritionist gave me. I had my first follow up with the nutritionist and she lectured me quite a bit about the fries and the cake specifically. She insisted that I cut ALL starches. No potatoes at all. No rice. No whole grains. Not even quinoa or farro!

I've already lost over 50 pounds on my own just by counting calories. So, I know that cutting starches isn't really necessary to lose weight. It's also annoying, because I am not by any means wealthy. I was told not to ever go under 1200 calories, Do you know how expensive it is getting 1200+ calories with nothing but lean meats, Beans and cottage cheese?

I have since had two other days when I ate off the plan. One day I had some pizza and another day I stuck with the no-starch portion of the plan but had more calories than I should have. But I just won't log that stuff if it is going to mean getting lectures even though 90% of the time I am sticking with it and losing plenty of weight.

If your insurance company is requiring this then look to the end at least and say "look how much money I saved!!". Self pay for the doctor, hospital and anesthesia is not cheap. I personally don't see the need in restricting it THAT much, I am on my last day of two weeks of liquids with two cups of vegetables per day. I have lost about 30 pounds in two weeks on a starvation diet but I am looking forward to the next month and two months when I can really begin to show results. Stick in there, you are doing great with 50 gone already!

My insurance requires a program during which I am not allowed to gain any weight (no requirement even to lose any). They don't require any specific diet regimen. This is all the nutritionist.

My NUT suggested that I just cut back on the amount of carbs I eat with in the day. If I chose to not have any then that was fine also. This seemed to work very well for me. By the time my 2 week pre op came I had already lost 63lbs. So you are doing great!

Just remember that if you want to eat FF and a burger go for it but then you have to compensate for doing so...Such as more exercise for the rest of the week or eat lightly for the next 2 days after "killing that monster" ( cravings for the bad stuff).

My NUT also suggested that if I know I am going to some sort of party and I THINK I am going to indulge in the food there eat light the days before and then increase EXERCISE the days after.

I really enjoyed working with my NUT she was very knowledgeable and willing to teach me new recipes and such..

Many Blessings!

You may as well get used to eating low carb/high Protein now. Some feel that you don't need to cut out complex carbs completely post surgery, but I feel continuing to eat complex carbs is a slippery slope with a lot of obese people. It leads to cravings for more carbs and sugar because the way they are broken down. Personally I stay away from them 95% of the time, and I find I don't get the cravings for sweets as bad. When I do indulge? Yeah, it takes days of detoxing and fighting the cravings, so I prefer not to put myself through that. The only carbs i get now are from fruits and veggies.

Luckily post op you will be eating a lot less, so your food bills should go down a little ;)

@LiberalInAZ It looks like you're in AZ - me too :o) I went to Scottsdale Healthcare - how about you?

@LiberalInAZ It looks like you're in AZ - me too :o) I went to Scottsdale Healthcare - how about you?

Banner. It's the only place that had a doctor in my network.

Do you know how expensive it is getting 1200+ calories with nothing but lean meats, Beans and cottage cheese?

How do you expect to afford to eat post-op? This is exactly how you will be eating for the rest of your life post-op. You won't have room for starches and carbs when you need 100 grams of Protein a day and can only eat a few ounces of food at a time.

I guess it is all relative to what you want to achieve. If you can lose weight with counting calories then why surgery? The surgery will severely restrict the amounts of foods you can eat. Its quality over quantity. Protein is very important for healing and for feeling full. This is why you read all over the forum to eat your Protein first, then your veggies and then and ONLY then a starch if you have room.

If this journey is to be successful for you then yes you have to make changes. Doing what you did got you where you are. Your nutritionist knows this and they are not just trying to torture you. Hiding what you eat is symptomatic of eating disorders.

You can post to vent but if you are asking for permission to cheat, eat what you want off the plan etc. then you will find plenty of people on here that will say go for it because they are doing the same. Doesn't mean its great advice but it will be what you want to hear.

Somewhere inside you know to be truly successful you cannot eat cake and burgers and fries. Take a long, hard look at what you are doing and be honest with yourself. Then and only then can you hope for success with this.

Its not easy making changes to a lifelong habit of poor eating, I know cos I am right there in it. But it IS possible.

Good luck and hope you can turn things around!

@@LiberalInAZ I had a great experience at Scottsdale H/care and I've only heard good things about Banner - best of luck!

Re the carbs: My NUT said no carbs because it causes the cravings others have mentioned. Since my bypass 4 months ago, I'd say our grocery bills have gone down. While I eat a lot of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and fruit, it's way cheaper than the fast food I used to live on. Best of luck w/your journey!

Do you know how expensive it is getting 1200+ calories with nothing but lean meats, Beans and cottage cheese?

How do you expect to afford to eat post-op? This is exactly how you will be eating for the rest of your life post-op. You won't have room for starches and carbs when you need 100 grams of Protein a day and can only eat a few ounces of food at a time.

Yes, and this too.

The info I shared was pre op. Now I am post op and will be following whatever my NUT & DOC tell me to do. I pray that all will work out for all of us this is not an easy journey. To change a life time of bad eating is going to take time, dedication and hard work.

Peace!

Somewhere inside you know to be truly successful you cannot eat cake and burgers and fries. Take a long, hard look at what you are doing and be honest with yourself. Then and only then can you hope for success with this.

I believe very strongly in everything in moderation. The day I had cake my calorie intake was 1295 calories and my Protein intake was 94 g. The day I had a cheeseburger and fries, I had 1500 calories and 99 g of Protein. I've consistently lost the weight I am supposed to.

As for why I want the surgery, obesity is a disease state and studies show that bariatric surgery is the only thing that resolves it. It's the only thing that resolves metabolic syndrome, the inflammation and the hormonal imbalances. I want it because I know that I can lose weight counting every calories every day, but I want more support.

I understand that it involves a lifestyle change. But having one piece of cake one week should not even be considered cheating. If I were binging on cake or eating it every day, it would be different. But it was literally one piece of cake about 2"x2".

Everyone here has given you good advice so far. But I do understand where you're coming from. During my 6-month physician-directed "diet" required by insurance (I'm in month six), they definitely stressed implementing the healthy habits ahead of time so that your post-op transition isn't as difficult. But that being said, my NUT was pretty realistic about making gradual changes. We "weaned" me off of Diet Coke over the first 3 months, and the goal for starches was to eat less and less until they were a rare find in my food diary.

So, if every single other day of your food diary was on point, I don't think anyone can be upset about you having a slice of cake or a serving of french fries, if they were indeed just one serving. I know I'm not post-op yet, but I feel like one or two days per month of a little treat, or something off plan, doesn't seem excessive.

I guess it depends on the doctor/nutritionist. All the NUTs I saw (one when diagnosed with T2 diabetes, then 2 for the supervised diet for insurance approval for surgery very soon after - one quit the practice after my initial visit) all wanted me to eat a reduced-calorie balanced diet which included whole grains (white potatoes... well white starches in general were discouraged, but not completely off limits)

That said, I would stick with what YOUR doctor and nutritionist wants, especially if this is for insurance approval as bad notes from them can cause denial from your insurance.