Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, HOW can we gain it all back?

@Elizabeth21

Have you ever eaten 1,000 calories for months / years at a time and remained overweight?

If not, then don't worry about that happening to you in the future.

For the record, I've never done that before.

Heck, I've never eaten 1,500 calories for months/years at a time and remained overweight. It was always more like 2,000 or more. And I wasn't moving much at the time.

For now, I'm eating 1,400 calories a day and maintaining my weight. I would like to get that up to 1,600/day. We shall see how that goes.

@Elizabeth21

Check out this video by a bariatric surgeon about why patients regain. Spoiler alert: Despite the video title, it ain't because their stomachs stretch. It's really worth the watch for anyone who is worrying about or struggling with regain.

@@VSGAnn2014 I am 3.5 years post BAND to SLEEVE revision and that video is absolutely spot on summary of "long term" maintenance post WLS. I encourage everyone who is thinking about this to watch it!

I'm 7 Mos post op and was talking to my wife the other day who had the bypass and we were talking about what our goal weights were. I said even if I picked a goal weight, the sleeve or bypass will dictate much of it meaning, if I picked 180 for goal it's not like my sleeve at 180 lbs is going to get bigger so I don't lose more. As others said the surgery is a tool. At some point we will all hit the sleeve or bypasses limit on weight loss where we maintain, it's THEN where it gets toughest on us to Continue to eat healthy and make good choices or we can gain weight back. Like someone said before, just because we have a smaller stomach doesn't mean u can't gain weight as with poor choices u can consume high calorie junk even In small amounts can pack on the weight or stall your weight loss.

Edited by nprcowboy

I am 2 1/2 year out. Unfortunately I think that gaining it back could be very easy. For the first 24 months, while it was tough eating what my stomach would allow, I didn't have the super crazy cravings that plagued me my whole life. Post surgery I never felt satisfied after eating, but my stomach would get full and I had to stop eating or else! And the weight would just keep coming off. Then at somewhere around the 2 year mark, something changed. MY cravings came back with a vengeance. I would feel so hungry after each mini-meal, yet my stomach would have the "full" uncomfortable sensation. IT was only natural that at least for me, this was a set up to cheat - for a few months I would cheat with Snacks here and there. My weight didn't suffer at the beginning. But I have found that the Snacks were giving me satiation that I was so missing with my prescribed meals and the snacks were not coming with the terrible "full" feeling that I always got when eating my shitty 3 oz piece of Protein. Eating right was unsatisfying and left me feeling shitty and hungry, and snacking was wildly satisfying and didn't leave me feeling overly full/sick. That is how this miracle surgery unwinds...! I am obviously in a bad place, discouraged and desperately trying to figure this out. I lost 150 lbs and have now gained back 20lbs.

@@RichardVST please watch that video. What you are experiencing is NORMAL. the key is to keep 20# regain from turning into 200#.

I am 7 months post op and I have to watch what I eat every day. I still feel the restriction of my sleeve, but if I drink alcohol or make bad choices like eating ice cream with my kid, I don't lose. If you make bad choices, it's easy to put too many calories in a sleeve. But if you choose Protein over carbs every day, you should be fine.

Great video, thanks for sharing

Thanks CowgirlJane. I did watch and found it helpful... I have made major changes in my life style - I exercise religiously 5x/week for an hour each. I have given up all alcohol - not that I was an alcoholic, but I know that I can never afford those empty calories. I eat a very healthy diet, good foods etc. And now I occasionally eat bad things. My portions are in fact larger than they were and obviously I am getting, and sadder am able to eat, too many calories - which unfortunately brings me back to where I was before surgery - namely in a hopeless struggle every day to simply eat less. What has changed?

Thank you so much for posting the video of Dr Weiner I so needed to listen to that. I'm getting his book. I've gained 7 lbs and I know it will keep going up if I don't stop my bad habits and get going on a better plan. I'm also going to look for more of his videos on You Tube. Again thank you.

Sherry

@Elizabeth21

Check out this video by a bariatric surgeon about why patients regain. Spoiler alert: Despite the video title, it ain't because their stomachs stretch. It's really worth the watch for anyone who is worrying about or struggling with regain.

@@VSGAnn2014, thank you for the feedback and the video link. Both were very helpful. The video directly addresses the "how" of the regain and increasing appetite. At 5 1/2 months out, this was good information to get to incorporate into my plan.

I knew/know the sleeve is not magic. Learning the pitfalls will hopefully enable me to avoid slipping into them. Thank you.

I've ordered his book. I'm stopping the weight gain now and will reverse it by right eating. Its too easy to fall back into the bad eating habits and thinking. I guess for us it will be a never ending battle to eat right.

I wonder how many other VSG's out there have had problems with gaining weight and how they reversed it or if they did.

Good luck on your continued weight loss.

@@VSGAnn2014, thank you for the feedback and the video link. Both were very helpful. The video directly addresses the "how" of the regain and increasing appetite. At 5 1/2 months out, this was good information to get to incorporate into my plan.

I knew/know the sleeve is not magic. Learning the pitfalls will hopefully enable me to avoid slipping into them. Thank you.

Well, I'd like to say do not despair!

My understanding is that statistics show that 80% of us maintain most of our weight loss long term. Better odds compared to only 5% with just dieting.

Of course I'm hoping that those numbers aren't just a load of .... stuff .... given at the seminar.

Edited by Elizabeth21