Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody older doing this?

Amoreno,

Your profile says you’re 54…that’s not old when you consider the risks and benefits of the surgery. As you said, you’re facing serious problems already. If you continue to postpone surgery, your window of opportunity may eventually close if you develop a serious obesity-related complication that makes surgery too risky. Good luck with your surgery this summer! I hope you can get it done and be well on your way to recovery and serious weight loss by the time school starts again in the fall.

I am 62 and there aren't many surgeons who like to do it after age 60. But I look much younger according to all the people who meet me. But I had to look around to find someone who would do it at my age. I am glad I did it.. My BMI was not very high, but I had to be on 3 blood pressure medicines. Now only 2 days after my sleeve, I am off 2 of the 3. The doctor thinks I can get off the third one within a month. Those medicines were hurting my kidney function, so I am very happy about getting rid of them.

I am 62 and was sleeved 12/14. I had a totally uneventful recovery and have lost 48 pounds. I'm not able to exercise as vigorously as I'd like due to advanced arthritis and chronic pain. I'm just now starting to stand up straight all day and walk without a limp. As I get better I do more. Many plateaus but won't give up. Good luck to you. ( I'm not old yet!)

I was 58 when I did this 4 years ago. If 50 is older than dirt, then what can I (61) be older than?

57. Just had the Sleeve done end of April. Best decision I ever made. It took me being humble enough to admit I need the help that was out there. This is the first time that I feel in total control. The best tidbit of advice I can give you is - follow your surgeons instructions for pre and post op eating to the letter. Younger people may be able to get away with a little. Not at our age. Take care. ????

I never thought of myself as an older "sleever" until I saw this topic. I am 62, own and run a shoe store and play tennis 3 times a week. My BMI is around 34 but knees and back are talking to me. I have dieted since 2nd grade and finally ready to make a permanent solution. My last "big hurrah" was the HCG diet. Lost 70 pounds but have regained almost all. Good luck to all of us!

Anybody older

@@amoreno

than what ;)

DOS

12/15/11

57 years OLD :(

present

61 years YOUNG :) :)

Happy as a bug in a rug :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Okay - I get it ! I am not too old. I wasn't going to let it stop me! I just wanted to know if there was any one else out there and I guess there are. Please keep posting and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

I will be 67 when I get my VSG. I have family members who lived well- into their late 90s so I want to do the same. I've been going to fitness center for over 4 months, have personal trainer 3x/wk for 3 hrs and try to get in 300 min of cardio weekly. I wanted to try to get in better shape before surgery hopefully 3rd wk of June. My trainer even had me start to do squats, lunges and kicks. Can't believe I could do any of that because I have worst case of couch potato-itis and fight it everyday. I just wish I'd considered it earlier but I kept saying I can do this on my own and felt I was a failure if I had WLS. I had my dr encourage me and he emphasized that surgery didn't mean I was a failure but was doing something positive for my life.

I started my liquid pre-surgery diet today. I can't believe this is really going to happen! I am excited and nervous at the same time!

I had my gastric sleeve done in August 2014, one month shy of turning 65 and have done great!!

I am in the "older" group being 65 and pushing 66! Had surgery March 25th and would do it again today. Diabetes and blood pressure meds stopped the day of surgery along with a 1/2 dozen support meds for the conditions. I only take my Vitamin, Calcium and Prilosec ordered by my surgeon and watch my Protein intake. Blood sugars run from 105 to 130 depending on my food intake...my PCP is happy with the levels but I will continue to monitor the levels.

A be all fix all? NO!

A new lease on life? Absolutely!

I am 55 years old and could not be happier! I had surgery on December 12, 2014 and already lost about 80 pounds. I was 443 pounds pre-Op and now 366. I did have a TIA (mini-Stroke) a wee kago Monday but it wasn't because of the surgery. However, I have heard from many women that the pain from surgery can last weeks to months for women because of anatomy, child bearing issues, etc. I haven't heard of any with men. I was off of Diabetes meds the day after surgery.

be positive, make sure you have ALL tests they tell you before, and keep on the diet they give you no matter what. You should do fine.

I had my Sleeve Surgery done 3 months ago at age 67 and I'm more than satisfied with it. I've lost almost 70 lbs. The only draw back is I had to get tested extensively, besides the Psych and classes, I had to get upper and lower scoped, a nuclear stress test. It was covered under Medicare along with my secondary insurance because of being classified a morbidly obese and diabetic. I healed fast, without much pain. Both my parents are alive, dad 97, mom 95 so I have good genes and I have alway and still workout in a gym.