Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BE HONEST SLEEVERS, did anyone think okay they are going to cut half of my stomach off and the weight will just fall off?

As I sit back and look at my progress sometimes I am happy and sometimes I am like REALLY. I know I am not the only one who has had some different expectations of this surgery now that you have it. I knew this was no gastric bypass BUT SOMETIMES I think I should have better results when you can't eat but a few spoonfuls of anything. I know I will get to my goal eventually but I am just hoping it doesn't take forever to get there. I didn't think it would be this hard to lose a dam pound with half a stomach. I know there are others who have had this surgery thinking the same thing.

i've thought along similar lines at times - at first it was falling off - but now 2.5 years out, its a struggle for me to get to goal... I need to lose about 20lbs in order to get skin surgery.. for all the amount that I can and do eat - I hear what you are saying..

Yes, I did...but it didn't. Still struggling to get to my goal weight loss. I am having the hardest time with food which is why I got the surgery. I still don't eat a lot, but I do and can eat small portions of the wrong foods though. Sometimes I wish I had just gotten the bypass instead so that I could see more of a drastic weight loss.

I understand...I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't have the bypass and this surgery is slower weight loss. Which is ok for me...I didn't have any sever health issues before the surgery (wasn't diabetic or high blood pressure). But I was morbidly obese and to not have those problems down the line something had to be done.

Nah, I expected it to be hard work, and it is. But not nearly as hard as it would be without the sleeve! I get full now. That didn't used to happen. Or if it did, 20 minutes later I felt empty again. Now I can refill with Crystal Light and I'm good to go for a while. So if you're not already, make sure you get the fluids in. The more the better!

Yes, think about it all the time. I honestly wish I had gotten the bypass. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the amount I've lost so far, but If I could do it over again I'd get the bypass.

I didn't think the weight would just fall off. I did my research before choosing to do the surgery and I know the sleeve is just a tool. The rest of it is up to me. I still have to eat properly and exercise in order to succeed.

No i expected this to be something i had to work with. I watched a tonne if videos and lurked a bit on online forums and general consensus was that this operation was a tool to help you lose weight not a miracle cure. So it has met my expectations.

My doc does a 90% sleeve. 90% of my stomach - GONE! wasn't sure how a person can live like this... BUT I DO! And happily too! Looking back, I did the work... take supplements, still focus on Protein, exercise 5x per week, etc and it was really manageable for the first year and 1/2. But now... Now I have to WORK to maintain. (Like everyone else). I put on a few pounds and it's a struggle to get it off again, but it DOES come off when I work at it and force a return to good habits. Definitely NOT easy but so worth it!

Yup. Totally. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

My husband had RNY almost 9 years ago. Back then, they didn't really give them many "rules" to follow. Or they did, and he just didn't follow them.

Although he got more active, he never exercised formally, ate whatever he wanted (yes, that includes sweets and carbs..he didn't really dump ever) and in almost a year, had lost 130lbs. He went from 300 pounds the day of surgery to 170 lbs in less than a year. He has maintained most of it aside from an initial 20lb gain (he looked healthier after that) and then another 30lb gain after quitting smoking. He has since lost the 30, but has learned now that it's a slippery slope, and he cannot eat whatever he wants anymore without gaining. His pouch has stretched considerably.

Fast forward 8 years. I decided to have WLS. But I had also decided to have the sleeve, not the bypass. I really thought I would be able to do the same things and lose the weight. Thanks to my NUT and this site, I learned that was absolutely false. And on top of it, Karma kicked me in the ass with slower than average weight loss.

I work my butt off. I adhere to my plan 98% of the time, and I have turned into a gym rat. Has it been frustrating at times? HELL YES. But I am happy I've learned to love exercise and have learned so much more about proper nutrition. If it had just fallen off of me with little effort like it had my husband, I would have never cemented the habits I have today. I feel I at least I have a fighting chance of maintenance when I finally hit my goal. And hubby has learned good habits from me ;)

@@Babbs if your stats are current you are super close to goal!! Congratulations!

Hi. Any idea why I can't see stats? Can I not see them if I am using the mobile version?

I actually just told my husband yesterday that I wish I had gotten the bypass. I feel like this has not been what I expected at all. 8 weeks out from surgery I have lost 21 lbs. Total I have lost 61, so most of my loss was pre surgery.

Of course, I didn't think that.

Sheesh!

I gotta say I'm happy as a clam! I am at almost 6 months out, have lost just about 60lbs, and am close to the 65 percent of the excess weight loss. Pretty good for under a year, without working too hard at it (I just have so much on my plate right now, I'll get to it, I promise!). The surgery met my expectations, and I have to say I am CONTENT. If I lose more, great. If I don't, I am still SO MUCH BETTER OFF than I was, and healthier than I could have ever thought I would be again. So contented, I am competing with my cats (4) for LOUDEST PURR AWARD!!!!