Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im thinking about having vsg my concerns include my hair. I've been growing out for about two and a half years. I would like to know about the experiences with Hair loss and change and how if any way to prevent it.

I started liquid Biotin before my surgery and I have had NO issue losing hair from this surgery. followed my guidelines I have been taking B12 injections for yrs prior and now I do the B12 liquid . I thought it would come with the territory but I am 10 months PO and no issue.

@@homebondliz

Lots of post on this. Just know the hair loss is temporary. Your health is for a life time. Many products to help hide thinning spots until it grows back. Even with my hair loss/thinning this is very much worth it.

I think Hair loss is inevitable but getting your Protein will minimize the loss. Having thick hair, my hair loss, despite getting my protein, was not noticeable to others. A lot of people have good results with Biotin, also.

The weight loss is more than worth the Hair loss. I have lost about half of my hair- thankfully it was thick before. Sometimes I think the hair loss is the luck of the draw. I started taking Biotin three months pre op, get my Protein requirements in everyday and sometimes exceed them, take all my Vitamins and my blood work is and has been normal the entire time. I also use coconut oil on my hair and get plenty of healthy fats (occasionally some not so healthy fats) I am almost a year out and my hair is still thin and falling out. However the rate which it is falling out has slowed down a lot so maybe there is hope. LOL

That being said, there are a lot of people on this forum who have experienced little to no hair loss. Hopefully you will be one of them. Wishing you lots of luck!!

I never heard of liquid biotin! I have lost quite a bit of hair. :( I need to google this!

My hair is falling out like crazy. Started right at 3 months post op, and has been coming out steadily for a month. I've lost about half my hair in the last month. The Dr says it should only last a few months but I'm afraid I'll be bald by then! I've been getting enough Protein a day my Vitamin levels have been good. Not sure what else I can do. Or what other have experienced. But I'm definitely open to any and all suggestions. Hope it's not bad for you. You just might be one of the lucky ones! Despite the Hair loss, I wouldn't trade the surgery for the world! I'm 4 months out and down 80 lbs. Thirty more to go to reach my goal weight. I may be bald but still much happier!

I have a natural hair and am 18 months post op. I did experience a bit of Hair loss at around 9 months out but now my hair is back thick as ever and past bra strap length. I do have a bunch of little baby hairs flying everywhere though from the new growth.

Hi

About 3 years. I really keep heat out of it and don't touch it very much. I get a blow out about once a month and wrap it at night. I'm

A big fan of just leaving hair alone...

Biotin doesn't do much. If you're going to lose it you'll lose it. Everyone's body reacts differently to the surgery. I take biotin and get in 80 grams of Protein a day and am still losing it. It's not that bad and isn't noticeable.

I was banded in 2001 and experienced no noticeable hair loss. Also didn't make it to goal.

Sleeved in 2011 and I did go through Hair loss and got to goal...totally worth it.

Thing is, you don't go bald, it grows back and over time it becomes an insignificant memory.

I know that is hard to believe...but look at my before and afters...

I have had natural hair for over 10 years. I experienced moderate loss and increased breakage. I am a year out and although my hair had thinned out it is coming back in nicely. I recommend finding a good moisturizer.