Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removal. Pressure for RNY over Sleeve.

I am finally getting my band removed in June. I have had year after year of issues and am VERY happy to be DONE with the band. I want to revise to the sleeve... but my surgeon is not in favor of that. He recommends RNY. He said the success rate with the sleeve after banding is not as high as with revision to RNY. He cites scar tissue as the main reason... with RNY the portion of the stomach with scar tissue is removed. He also thinks the added tool of malabsorption is a big plus.

I have decided to wait 6 months after removal before revising to another surgery. That is the length of time he recommended before he would consider a sleeve revision. I was positive I wanted the sleeve... now I am not so sure. Was anyone else pressured to choose RNY and still went forward with the sleeve and are happy they stuck with their gut?

I initially lost 100 pounds with the band... regained because of complications. Then lost the 100 again after band re-positioning... regained because of complications again. I have been without fill now since Jan 2014 and am back to my pre surgery weight. I feel like the sleeve will work for me. I was able to work my tool... when IT wasn't malfunctioning.

RNY scares the crap out of me. I have no major medical issues other than PCOS and sleep apnea. I have a 20 month old son and I need to be here for him.

My story is similar to yours. My surgeon is very conservative too. I lost 100% ewl before complications after kids. Had my band out and asked my surgeon which would be better for me after band and he said I should do sleeve. Hope he is right bc doing surgery in June! Maybe get another option? I had heard the same things as you about sleeve being less successful but there are plenty of successful revisions on this board. What complications did you have?

I had gastric bypass on May 11th, though it wasn't a revision, I have found that it was a fairly easy surgery to recover from.

I was required to look at all the options before I made a decision on the surgery.

Although sleeve looked fine, I just felt like the smaller pouch and the added malabsorption was something that would be beneficial to a person who had issues with food and overeating.

It's definitely helped teach me Portion Control which was a HUGE thing for me!

The two are very similar though, and I don't think you will have any problems with whatever you choose!

I'll throw in my stats just for a lay down of how gastric bypass has affected me.

My surgery date was 5.11.15 (9 days post op)

HW: 330

SW: 321

CW: 304

CWL: 17 pounds :)

And I am 21 and 6'2" tall!

I am band to sleeve. I was also successful with the band, losing to the 140's and staying there for several years until I started having band problems. An unfilled band let to a gradual regain of every single pound lost, plus 20 extra.

I really looked at both surgery options with the frame of mind that I would be successful again no matter which one I chose. I know I can take the weight off again with a good plan, some extra help (WLS), and a positive attitude. I have been pleased with the results so far... 28 lbs lost in about 10 weeks. That is just over 1/4 of the way to goal for me, and I tend to be a slower loser. I think it boils down to what your personal preference is, and if it is Sleeve... go for it!

Edited by liannatx

I had the band in 2005, lost 100 #s, then began having issues with reflux and vomiting in 2009. Turns out I had a hiatal hernia that needed repairing. The docs recommended removing the band and putting in a sleeve. I immediately started gaining weight again, and to date have gained back 60 #s. I now have another hiatal hernia, scarring on my stomach, and a pool of sorts that food sits in, causing severe reflux and vomiting again. So now the solution is repair the hernia & do the bypass surgery. I'm pretty sure I don't want it, but it may be the only way to fix the reflux issue. I'm not saying don't do the sleeve, but talk to a lot of patients & drs first, to get more information. What I'm being told is that the sleeve has just not proven to be the best solution and drs are starting to stay away from it.

I revised band to sleeve 3.5 years ago. First surgeon I went to "poo poo'd " the sleeve and we didn't even discuss it. I had an irrational fear of bypass so just couldn't do it

I met someone who encouraged me to go to a very pro sleeve surgeon and he recommended sleeve. He also had the support network all set up.

I lost over 150 and have been maintaining just fine.

However I also think I was wrong to be so afraid of the bypass.

I am a band to bypass patient. I was banded in 2010, lost about 30 lbs, and began having issues. I was unfilled about 2 years and then started having swallowing issues.

I started researching revision options summer 2014 and was sold on the sleeve. I read and watched every sleeve-related article or video I could find. When I had my consult in January, the doctor was all on board with the sleeve so I went for my pre op tests which included a esophageal manomtry (which is awful) and other GI tests. Long story short, the band damaged my esophagus and it was slowly swallowing which is why I'd get stuck even with thick liquids. Because of this my doctor felt the bypass was the better option and I trusted what my doctor suggested because he knows, I don't. I wanted whatever I was going to be most successful with regardless of what I thought I wanted.

I'm almost 10 weeks post op and very happy with where I'm at and where I know I'm going. No vomiting and no swallowing issues!

Edited by goregalore

I was banded in 2011 and much the same as others, am having issues. I've chosen bypass as my surgeon explained to me that the sleeve is another restrictive procedure and if you had issues with the band, you will more than likely develop issues with the sleeve. My insurance company approved the removal but not the revision, so I've hired an advocate to fight for me and am MORE than confident that I will be approved for both procedures.

I was banded in 2011 and much the same as others, am having issues. I've chosen bypass as my surgeon explained to me that the sleeve is another restrictive procedure and if you had issues with the band, you will more than likely develop issues with the sleeve. My insurance company approved the removal but not the revision, so I've hired an advocate to fight for me and am MORE than confident that I will be approved for both procedures.

Why weren't you approved for the rny?

First I was told it wasn't medically necessary. That the reason the band failed was "behavioral" -- not a malfunction. Then the surgeons office called me back a 2nd time and said it was really because I didn't have 6 months physician-documented weight loss. I immediately contacted Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy and they jumped at the chance to assist me! I feel very confident!

Edited by Mrs. Schu

Ok thanks!! Good luck to you. I'm waiting on my approval but I had band removed already. Did you in fact have 6 months? My sister has the same problem. She has a slip but is afraid if she waits 6 months she will 1) gain weight because band is being removed and 2) still have too low a bmi!

I just found out last week that insurance said 6 months for revision--which is why i was denied for that procedure--because i dont have it. Thats when i hired Walter & Kelley Lindstrom! If I have the band removed (which, btw, they'll pay for) I'll continue to gain weight! I've already gained 11 lbs just since the Fluid was completely removed a month ago! My BMI is under 40 but over 35. This 6-month thing is ludicrous for revision surgery!!!! AND obviously, genetics plays a major role in our situations! I'm amazed at the number of posts I see where people are required to follow 6 month documented plans when they're having health issues with a prior procedure!!! 6 months could mean the difference between life and death in some people and insurance companies should NOT be given the power to make that determination!!!!

Edited by Mrs. Schu

I was fortunate in that I was only required to do 3 months with Aetna but my sister is in your shoes. However I wasn't sure how Aetna will deal with net gain. I've really struggled since removal and gained 3-4 lbs since removal which was in the time of supervised diet. My nutritionist and insurance person don't seem worried and said gain is expected with band removal but I can't relax until I hear I am approved.

I was fortunate in that I was only required to do 3 months with Aetna but my sister is in your shoes. However I wasn't sure how Aetna will deal with net gain. I've really struggled since removal and gained 3-4 lbs since removal which was in the time of supervised diet. My nutritionist and insurance person don't seem worried and said gain is expected with band removal but I can't relax until I hear I am approved.

Oh I can certainly understand your worries. Wishing you so much luck!!! AND peace!

I'm a band to sleeve revision. It's too early for me to talk about long term results but I have a neighbor who had the bypass and has gained a lot of her weight back. Both options are not going to lose the weight for us - we need to take advantage of this wonderful tool that has been given to us